Is this a good trailer?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: wheel Size

Postby Katie&Craig » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Mitheral wrote:
wentzzee wrote:So I kinda figger the debate between 12" or other sizes are moot as long as they are highwayb rated

They are highway rated, but many of them only 55.

A real problem is a) the bearings don't get taken care of and b) people overload travel trailers something fierce.

How do you find out what speed a tire is rated for? Are there any 12" wheels that are rated for true freeway speeds (over 55mph)?

I was looking at 12" wheels (21 " overall, 1045# each). We are going to have the wheels partly recessed into the trailer so the trailer is not wider than our tow vehicle. We want to go with the smallest tire that is big enough to do the job safely. We plan on putting a lot of freeway miles on this thing. I am a safe driver, but if I drive 50 mph I will get run over!
Katie
Katie&Craig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:50 pm

People with HF trailers drive faster than 55 mph all the time... check out this thread...
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1309

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bdosborn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:16 pm

75 to and 85 from Minden on 12" HF wheels and the bearings didn't even get warm. I carry a grease gun in the trailer and give the zirks a squirt or two every 3-400 miles. I did a search and haven't been able to find any posts regarding HF bearing failures. I'm ashamed to say I've had my trailer over 90 so I'll probably be the one to post if the bearings fail.... :oops:
Bruce
P.S. But, it sure is fun to pass the muffler cars up Vail pass pulling a trailer. :lol:
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:45 am

Good morning all.
I have to jump in here because I am about to buy my trailer. I think I missed something in the techeese. My light weight canoe trailer has 10 in (maybe 8) tires but came with a "high speed axle." I have driven it 3 hours at above 70mph. I did check the bearings because the spindle (I think) is made of a plastic looking material. I have been assuming that trailers are all rated the same way. Is this not true?

Thanks,
Miriam
:miriams:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby EZ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:12 am

I recently bought a HF 1175# trailer for $187 on sale with a 20% off coupon. I noticed that the caps didn't have zerk fittings and I was going to install some but then after further investigation I found that the zerks are built right into the hub, on the inside. Fairly nice setup compared to my HF boat trailer with zerks in the cap. I burned up the bearings on that one doing 70 mph+ because I didn't realize that you need to load up the entire cavity with grease and also because it sat for a year after being in the water. A bad combination. Not to bright but I learn a lot in the school of hard knocks. Changing the bearings was no problem and now I grease them everytime I get back home.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques