Brakes

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Chris C » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:30 pm

Okay, thanks. I am also a fairly conservative driver. I've pulled lots of different sized trailers thousands of miles and am aware of the with and without aspects of pulling one. I think your Oddysey has a greater towing capacity, but I'm not sure. I guess I'll just feel a little better if I have brakes. I'll just have to do without some other "toy" for the trailer. :cry:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby An Ol Timer » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:48 pm

Andrew,
Isn't this just a mechanical version of the hydraulic surge brakes that we use now? Having had a car years ago that had cable operated mechanical brakes I know that they had to be adjusted frequently. Of course they were much older material and saw more use. The only new thing that I saw here was the use of a hand brake which would make staying parked without the use of chocks much easier.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:48 pm

An Ol Timer wrote:Isn't this just a mechanical version of the hydraulic surge brakes that we use now?

Yes. Being mechanical means that they're simpler/cheaper.

An Ol Timer wrote:Having had a car years ago that had cable operated mechanical brakes I know that they had to be adjusted frequently.

Modern trailer brakes here don't seem to need this - once a year at most. I think this is helped by the overrun (surge) coupler - the sort of free play that would be undesirable in a car brake pedal isn't really noticeable.

And, yes, you get a handbrake. So you will see all European trailers have nose wheels so they can be moved around, hitched up, etc, easily. Which explains why the Tab has those handles like most trailers here.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby ceebe » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:38 am

Referring to the brake system Angib brought up, many newer glider trailers are so equipped. If (God forbid!) it comes undone at speed, the safety cable applies the brakes to keep the trailer from carreening down the road.

btw, my TD will have handles fore and aft. With a nice big wheel up front, you can easilt move it anywhere on any surface
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques