I need to trim my hatch a bit

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Chuck » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:46 pm

The hatch on the Cubby I"m building is close to the right size, but not quite. I think I need to take an eighth to a quarter of an inch off the bottom edge. The hatch is mounted, but the bottom is held out just a bit. The hatch trim is on, but not any rubber seals, so the fit will be worse then. Does anyone have an idea about how I evenly and neatly trim some off the bottom? I'd hate to butcher what is otherwise a nice looking hatch.
Chuck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Boodro » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:41 pm

Chuck , clamp a straght edge to the lid & use a router with a straight bit after taking CAREFULL measurments! :thinking: :thumbsup: Good luck.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:03 pm

I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I clamped on a straight edge guide and used a circular saw. I ripped right through a screw but its a nice straight cut.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:29 am

bdosborn wrote:I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I clamped on a straight edge guide and used a circular saw. I ripped right through a screw but its a nice straight cut.
Bruce

Bruce,

I bet a new blade for the saw was worth it, though. Sure beats having to redo the hatch. :shock:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:38 am

bdosborn wrote:I had exactly the same thing happen to me. I clamped on a straight edge guide and used a circular saw. I ripped right through a screw but its a nice straight cut.
Bruce

I did the same thing with a circular saw. Yea I went thru a couple screws too, but the carbide tipped blade takes a licking and keeps on going!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chuck » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:09 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I needed to put about a 15 degree angle on the cut, so used a circular saw rather than the router. Lots of measuring before, and ended up with a nice clean quarter inch off the bottom. It worked great!
Chuck
Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:27 pm

toypusher wrote:Bruce,

I bet a new blade for the saw was worth it, though. Sure beats having to redo the hatch. :shock:

Kerry

A new saw would be worth it. That hatch about beat me down. :?
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques