5"1" Tear

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

5"1" Tear

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:12 am

I think I got ahead of myself building my frame. I built it exactly 5' wide. This would not be a problem, except I want to cover the frame rails with the side walls. That makes it 5'1" total. My question is, will it be a problem with the rest of the build, especially the roof trying to build this way? I hope I can slide by with this. :worship:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:40 am

I wanted 60" on the inside of my cabin...
I made my frame 62 1/4" wide, allowing an additional 1/8" clearance for my skirt.
My body, not including the wood profile trim, will be 63 1/2" wide.
I'm going to bump my inside clearance up to 60 1/2" to make it easier to move and switch the bedding around. This will give me 3/8" clearance between the frame and the skirt.
I think what is really going to determine what you can or can't do is the final dimension between your tires.
I wanted 1" clearance between my tire and the body, but I ended up with 66" instead of 65 1/2" because I didn't take into account for the built in camber that the axle manufacturer builds into the axle for better tracking.
(That worked in my favor because it gave me that 1/2" of extra clearance I was looking for)
Yup...It's going to take more materials because my outside width is going to be over 5', but I needed every bit of that interior width because that queen sized bed is supposed to be for my two kids and I.... OK, who wants to sleep in the tent? :lol:

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:49 am

My width depended on the plywood I used. I used 5X5 sheets, I didn't cut them on one side. That way I knew my sides were parallel (square is a different story). The actual width of the sheets are 60 1/8in.

It may not be a problem, mine is 62in wide. The sidewalls come down and cover the frame like you are doing. When doing the roof I am using regular 4x8 sheets so the extra 2 inches aren't any more of a problem than the other 12in.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:59 am

If it is just a little more in materials, I'll still cover the side rails. It's just the look I want. Thanks!
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby norm perkiss » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:23 am

Jim,
You can stiil build at the 5' width on top of the frame. Just extend the aluminum down to cover the frame. Throw a little silicone caulk on the side rails and you will have the "look".

An aside, the other day you mentioned your axle was 36" from the rear. If I remember that is where KuffleCreek puts theirs.
Norm
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:43 am

I covered the side of my tear with the aluminum only. The body is all on top of the frame. It achieved the "look" that I was after.

SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques