Tongue Weight Spreadsheet

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Chip » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:02 pm

question??,,if I use a tortion axle which has a 8" trailing arm,,are the calculations based on the spindle of the wheel or on the tortion bar centerline where it bolts to the frame,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:05 pm

That's a valid question. Since everything articulates around the wheel center, the correct answer is "wheel spindle center". I believe the spreadsheet uses those words too!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:46 pm

I have added a couple of extra spreadsheets to this page: Hitch Weight Estimate

A Mark 2 version of Rik's spreadsheet allows you to add a concentrated weight in the galley. I don't think this is significant in the Baja Benroy case, but it would be for a well-equipped small trailer.

The other spreadsheet works the other way round - you put in the hitch weight you want and it tells you where to put the wheels. This shows that to get 10% hitch weight on the Baja Benroy, the wheels would need to move 10.6 inches forward.

I have changed wording to 'hitch weight' as there was a potential confusion with 'tongue weight' (used for the weight of the tongue).

And I hope you Merkans appreciate me carefully using 'center' - we Brits use 'centre'.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Joseph » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:52 am

angib wrote:And I hope you Merkans appreciate me carefully using 'center' - we Brits use 'centre'.

You also stuck with the original spelling and pronunciation of al-you-min-ee-yum. I don't have a clue why we felt it needed changing to al-loo-min-um.

Nook-you-lar as opposed to nook-lee-ar still drives me nuts, though... :roll:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby R Keller » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:26 am

Oh sure Andrew, credit me so I can take the heat when someone's tongue weight turns out wrong! :wink:

Wow. Great work. By the time I saw what you had done, you had already made improvements that I was going to suggest! This should be very handy for folks on both sides of the pond.

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:13 pm

I thought it would be interesting to compare the results of Rik's spreadsheet with the much more detailed weight and LCG estimate spreadsheet that I did for my Superleggera design.

Rik's spreadsheet: 57lbs on hitch = 15% of trailer weight
Detailed spreadsheet: 47lbs on hitch = 12% of trailer weight

So, it's close.

By the way, the weight estimate is now available to download as a spreadsheet rather than just a table.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:32 pm

You Brits and your new-fangled weights and measurements!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques