Making a pattern.

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Making a pattern.

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:57 pm

OK, here is something that has not occured to me before. Once I find a shape I like on paper, how do I make it in to a full size pattern?
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:18 pm

You make a beam compass out of a 1x2 and just draw it on a piece of wood!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:00 pm

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it must be important since you said it 3 times :)
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:53 pm

The web was misbehaving at the time!!!

Anyways, if you can draw your shape on a piece of paper with a compass, you could make a larger beam compass with a 1x2 piece of wood. Put a drwyall screw on one end, and a hole to fit a pencil on the other end, and swing your radius.

If you end up with a profile like the one I just saw you post in another thread, you'll have to map all the grid points to your piece of wood, and then use a flexible piece of wood to connect the dots.

Does that make sense?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:34 pm

That is how Wayne taught me.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Grant » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:18 pm

Try this:

Take your 8-1/2" x 11" drawing down to your friendly Office Depot, Kinkos, or full-service copy shop and have them copy your artwork on a transparency ... take the transparancy home and borrow an overhead projector ... project the image on your plywood propped against a wall, or heavy-weight craft paper tacked to the wall, and move the projector closer or further back to get the image to the full-size you desire ... trace the image onto your plywood, or your craft paper, and viola! ... you have your full-size pattern. Works like a charm, and you get an EXACT copy of your original drawing ( at least, if you trace as well as you draw ;-} ;-} ...!). Also works great for those grid-profiles you find in all those vintage trailer plans ...

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:25 am

Being the clever young lad that I am (or as my wife would say 'the crotchety old cuss") I have figured out an alternative to my pattern problem. Kinkos will print from my photoshop or illustrator files at any size up to 3' wide (and no length limit). So I could do two 3'x10' printouts and have my pattern. The only problem is that I need 1/4" all the way around to fit the printer, but that would be easy enough to handle. All I would have to do is to tape the two sheets down to the wood and trace 1/4" bigger. The cost for this? Only 50 cents per square foot!! So 30 buks for a full size pattern on 20lb paper! How cool is that? Totally worth it if you have an odd shape like mine.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:07 pm

I might try that, We have a kinkos 15 mins away!
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques