Torsion Axles with splines

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby ralaco » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:44 pm

I paid for my 2,000 lb Flexride with hubs for 15" wheels $166 plus shipping

from http://www.ucfamerica.com

600 lb is less expensive

Raul

:twisted:
Last edited by ralaco on Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby JunkMan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:26 pm

I'm using the Dexter, because of the lower cost. I go it clicked up one notch above center, which in hindsight, is a little too high (too little ground clearance), but it works with the VW

Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby DanD » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:17 pm

Cary Winch wrote:
There are dealers all over the US. We get ours from John's Trailers INC. in Ohio.

Don't compare the Reliables to these. In the industry Reliable axle is considered a oxymoron. My advice is to stay away from those.

Flexiride does not have the low rated axles. Henschen does though. These are also very high quality axles.

Cary

Hi Cary,
Thanks for the info. Do you have a web address for John's Trailers?

After buying a set of half axles from "Reliable", I'm not impressed. The hubs are poorly machined, with sharp edges. They supplied dust caps that are just about impossible to install without totally mangling it. Their bearings were "pre-packed" and it looked like someone wiped grease around the bearing and dropped it in the hub. Live and learn. I should have asked this question before I bought.

In case this is something new, I thought you might find this bit of info interesting on the UCF site about low rated axles.

"Half axles are sold directly by UCF Flexiride in capacities from 660 lbs. to 3,500 lbs., with or without idler hubs, hydraulic or electric brakes."

Thanks to everybody for the info...

Dan
DanD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cary Winch » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:41 pm

Chris,

I will second Jack on his weight thoughts. We use the 2,000lb axles just so we can run 5 bolt hubs. Thankfully most people order higher end units and the average empty weight is pretty much right at 1,000lb. That is about the point where they start to ride really smooth. The lighter units tend to ride a bit rough and I end up telling the customer to haul ALOT of stuff in the trailer to make it ride nice. You would be Ok with either a 1,500 or a 2,000 if you are at about 1,000lb of trailer weight. Less than than that you will want the 1500 like Jack said.

Jack,

Buying your Flexiride direct from a dealer shouldn't cost that much. Like Ralaco said. There must be someone who is close to you that can sell you one besides Southwest Wheel.

Dan,

John's trailers does not have a website. Their phone number is (440)232-4311. Pretty nice bunch there, a small family run outfit. You know, I think the info about the 660lb axles is new. I will have to check that out.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby cracker39 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:54 pm

Jeff, which Dexter axle did you get? From that picture, it looks like just the clearance I want. After emailing back and forth with Andrew, we both came to the same conclusion for my application. That is the #9 with 10 degree down angle. After reading here what I had already assumed, the 2200 lb axle would give me about 50% more load to use if needed. And, fully loaded, my frame clearance would be about 11"-12", about the same height as the coupler at my receiver on the truck. I haven't checked to see which axles are available locally.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby DoWopBox » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:24 pm

madjack wrote:...the Flexiride torsion axle has adjustable torsion arms, it is only available from http://www.etrailerpart.com/ . I don't know about Reliable but Dexter Torqflex can be ordered with whatever start angle you wish...I have the Flexiride and I believe Camp-Inn also uses them however they are about 50/60 bucks more expensive than the Dexter/Reliable. You will have to pay shipping from Lubbock(sp?)Tx. while the others may be found locally
madjack 8)

I'm getting ready to order the Flexiride axle but am unclear on how wide I need to order. I'm using the HF 4x8 trailer and am going to channel 1/4" hardwood over the outside of the trailer (woodie style). That should give me 48-1/2 inches inside for a minimum. I got my fenders from RW Johnson. They are the wide ones that are 10" from the mounting flange to the inside lip. That should give me 48-1/2 + (2 x 10") or 68-1/2" for a maximum.
What I don't know is how much to allow for wheel offset. I plan on using some stock Ford rallye wheels or something like that, or maybe some cheap mags if I find some good used ones that aren't too wide.
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DoWopBox » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:29 pm

ralaco wrote:I paid for my 2,000 lb Flexride with hubs for 15" wheels $166 plus shipping

from http://www.ucfamerica.com

600 lb is less expensive

Raul

How did you order it? I can find no links to order on their site. I emailed them over two weeks ago and got no response. BTW, I find this a lot. Businesses put up web-sites and just ignore them. I've had the same results with Raka fiberglass not responding to their email for info. I know I could call them, but I'd rather spend my money on parts than long distance, especially if I'm needing more technical information to base my decisions on.
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:00 pm

To order the flexride axle as you described... The criteria in this picture should do it...

Mike...

P.S. If your wheels have an offset you'll have to adjust accordingly.

P.P.S. How wide are the wheels and tires you want to use?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ralaco » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:02 pm

DoWopBox

Send an e-mail to the salesman:

Jacques Angers
[email protected]

Raul

ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby DoWopBox » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:12 pm

mikeschn wrote:To order the flexride axle as you described... The criteria in this picture should do it...

Mike...

P.S. If your wheels have an offset you'll have to adjust accordingly.

P.P.S. How wide are the wheels and tires you want to use?

Thanks, that clears it up a bunch. I just want to run a simple wheel w/baby moons or maybe some rally wheels, 14 or 15' by 6 or 7". The offset or backspacing is the variable that had me scratching my head. I found this website that has all of that information on it:

http://www.earlywheel.com/choosing.html
Aerodynamics is overated
DoWopBox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cary Winch » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:42 pm

My advice would be to decide on the wheel and tires first. Get them mounted and measure the exact dimension to the outside of the tire side wall. This can make a huge difference so you should get this nailed down ASAP. Then order the axle. Your 10" fenders help alot because of the extra dimension.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby DanD » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:02 pm

Cary Winch wrote:We use the 2,000lb axles just so we can run 5 bolt hubs.

Cary,

What start angle do you guys use on your trailers?

Dan
DanD
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cracker39 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:33 pm

DanD wrote:What start angle do you guys use on your trailers?

Dan

The Dexter web site has info to help you decide the start angle you need. It depends on how high you want your chassis to ride, tire and wheel size, load weights, etc. I plan on a 10 degree down angle when I build my trailer. Since I know the height of the coupler, size of tires I'll use, and approximate load weight, that angle will put my trailer on a pretty level height from front to back, and won't bottom out the back with hard bumps. Dexter's charts go in to a lot of detail to help choose your start angle.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:41 pm

Dan,

Our start angle varies depending on tire combo. The standard street models are about a 12 degree down I beleive. I think that settles to 10 degree down. The SUV package kicks that start angle down a couple of inches, not sure the angle.

That is one really really nice thing about the Flexirides. If you are not right with the start angle just slide off the arms and adjust it. Don't forget too that torsion axles will settle some after the first few miles. We actually run the frames on the road about 25 miles from the welding shop and then reset the arms once the body is on. They will typically settle 1 to 2 splines.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques