how long does it take Tar to dry & how many layers?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

how long does it take Tar to dry & how many layers?

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:13 pm

2 days and some parts are will wet.

I put it out side and got sun on it during the day but at night I get thick fog.

I just have one layer on it.
I have a industrial hot air gun ..... should I be using it .... or will it go up in flames? :fb hmmm smores any one! :lol:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby bennelson » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:20 pm

I screwed up the size of the floor of my teardrop, so I ended up doing it twice.

It was 2 days and some still wet for the first one.

One the second one, I brushed it on very thin, mostly because I didn't have a lot left. It dried a lot faster. (about a day) I don't think it has to be very thick, just that you don't miss any spots.
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:29 am

Ron, if you're part of the same heat wave that a lot of us are suffering from, all bets are off. It's not really "wet," right? More like "mushy?"

When I was a kid, whatever they used to pave the streets (not the sidewalks) was like blacktop. And every summer, when it got hot, we were able to easily carve our names into it with a nail.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Re: how long does it take Tar to dry & how many layers?

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:39 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:2 days and some parts are will wet.

I put it out side and got sun on it during the day but at night I get thick fog.

I just have one layer on it. :lol:

Hey .... that was back on July 26 2005
It is now Aug. 27, 2005 it has mostly sat in the garage because to top has no protection.
:cry:
My Naughbor told me it may never dry not for a long time and I should have put it on last. I am thinking of sanding it off the sides so I can glue the walls on.
I keep building it in my heard am getting ready to put the walls on but the Tar stops me??

Got any ideas I admit to being slow but now I have been waiting and waiting and waiting. :x
I want to move on but ..... :( another month? :fb
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

removing tar

Postby randy chesnutt » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:52 pm

ron, just wash the edge with some of that high price gas. then glue the sides on.diesel will work to.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:38 pm

Ron, do you mean you got tar on the sides of the frame? All you're supposed to tar is the underneath of the floor, but if you did the entire frame, that's cool.

But what do you mean tar on the sides that's still wet? The sides of the floor frame, or are your side walls up and THEY have tar on them too?

Regardless, it shouldn't take this long for it to dry. What the heck did you use?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:32 pm

IraRat wrote:Ron, do you mean you got tar on the sides of the frame? All you're supposed to tar is the underneath of the floor, but if you did the entire frame, that's cool.

But what do you mean tar on the sides that's still wet? The sides of the floor frame, or are your side walls up and THEY have tar on them too?

Regardless, it shouldn't take this long for it to dry. What the heck did you use?

do to other interferences I still have just a floor. I tared the bottome and the sides .... thinking the walls would start or top .... the tar is Liquid Asphalt made by Ace hardware. it still comes off on my hands and sticks to things it rests on. I broght in inside out of the sun because at night (living by the Ocean) it fogs at night like a thick misty rain. the top is not sealed yet and do not want warpige. so it sits inside ..... while I watch others work and plan my next 3 moves.

I am beginning to think .... I need to start over seal this top and leave it out side for a future utility trailer or something. Take three steps back and do not pass go.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:50 pm

Wow. I think maybe you SHOULD start again:

More than a month for it to dry? Something is wrong here. You have regular ply on the floor? This makes no sense. It shouldnt be more than a few days.

Calling Tom Swenson--what was that stuff we used again from HD? Garners? Gardners? Something like that?

The stuff you bought SEEMS to be the right stuff, but like I said, something is very weird here.

By the way--my cousin lives in Half Moon Bay. Isn't that kind of near Las Osas?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:53 pm

Irat,

close somewhat we have the ocean in common and Hwy 1

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr= ... name=&qty=

if this works I am at the bottom of the Map in Los Osos
(Valley of the Bears) there use to be a lot of Grisley bears here all dead but the name.
http://www.losososbaywoodpark.org/
Come live here help pay for our new sewer they start next month. It now will cost us 124,000,000 dollars the most expensive in the US.
Soon our moto will be come see our shhh.... never mind. You can't miss it it will be right in the middle of town. \

speaking of Shh ... I will have to start all over on my TD first I will seal the top of the old one and set it out in the sun. then go buy new wood and do it right. there is No cow..poke like a slo..cow..poke maybe I should change the name of my TTT to SLO/TEAR.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:16 am

I just flipped the tear up on end tonight and coated the whole bottom with brushed on Henry's 208. I worked great, and was lucky enough not to splatter it all over me. Now we'll see how long it takes to dry. Actually, I guess I don't care, since I don't have to mess with the bottom again anyway.

Roly ~~Thinking I should have done that with my first woody, instead of adding the weight of the Line-X truck bed liner to the bottom. (cheaper too.)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:19 am

Roly, are you insulating on the bottom?
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:35 pm

No insulation on the bottom, like I did on the 1/2 Nelson Woody. I really don't think it is necessary here in So Cal, since we are laying on a 4" mattress anyway. Just checked the 208 material on the bottom and it is all dried up.........great.

Roly ~~ :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby TomS » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:30 pm

IraRat wrote:Calling Tom Swenson--what was that stuff we used again from HD? Garners? Gardners? Something like that?

Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:22 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:I just flipped the tear up on end tonight and coated the whole bottom with brushed on Henry's 208. I worked great, and was lucky enough not to splatter it all over me. Now we'll see how long it takes to dry.

and Roly later said it did dry.

I do not know if I can find gardner here in Ca different states often have different products.

I wrote an email to Henry
to see which ones they would suggest I will get back to you on that.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:52 pm

I used Henry 201 in blue can called Asphalt Roof Coating. I was dry enough to handle the decking (still a little tacky) in a day. I just added the insulation and bolted the deck to the frame the day after I had coated it. OH, I got it at Lowes.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques