Harbor Freight Trailers

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Harbor Freight Trailers

Postby Dee Bee » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:08 pm

I am thinking of buying a HF trailer for my TD. I see in the catalogue they are offering a regular utility trailer 990# and one called heavy duty 1175# with 12 " wheels and a Super Heavy Duty 1800#with 12 ".

Has anyone purchased either one of these? Recommendations?

Also, Has anyone found a way to move the axel back on a HF trailer?

Dee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

HF Trailer

Postby Clancy Courtney » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:06 pm

Hi , I used the 1800# trailer and it as performed very well. I have about 6000 miles on it so far. Kuffel Creek has plans using this trailer for the 8' Cubby and gives details on moving the axle back. These are excellent plans.
http://www.kuffelcreek.com/
Good luck,Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

And the Harbor Freight trailers are on sale right now

Postby Rebel » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:04 pm

You can buy one for $349.95 and NO SHIPPING. Great deal! They are usually $399.95. You can also get a spare for $49.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=40597
Rebel

Building a Tear for Retirement
Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joseph » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:21 am

Hey Dee,

I used the 990# HF trailer but I planned the weight of my teardrop down to the gnat's rear end so it could be towed with a Ford ZX2 if need be. I don't recommend it unless you do likewise.

Moving the axle back was no problem. There is a structural member that holds the spring, the name of which I don't know. Anyway, when you move it back, the rear portion of it is bolted to a pre-existing hole for one of the cross-pieces, the forward portion required that I drill a new hole. It's hard to describe but intuitively obvious when you're assembling the trailer.

Another tip: the long portion of the frame is two four-foot sections and you have to sacrifice one of your cross-pieces to connect the two. You cut it in half and bolt it across the joint - either that or get some angle iron to do the job. I believe the Kuffel Creek plans call for this as well.

Regards,

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Does anyone know the weight of the HF 1800# axle trailer?

Postby Rebel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:10 am

What is the weight of the 1800# Harbor Freight axle trailer before any teardrop cabin is added? And then, does anyone have the weight of one with the cubby (or similar) built on it? I realize this can depend on modifications, but would give an idea. Thanks!
Rebel

Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

HF Trailer

Postby jlrelp » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:41 am

Hi

I am using the HF trailer. I also have the plans for Kuffle Creek for the Cubby.. Building close to the plans..

I will go with the 1800 that is what the plans for the Cubby calls for..

have photos on web site www.richarjl.itgo.com

have the frame for the deck made post photos soon.

if you have any questions call email me...
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Interesting facts about the HF trailer

Postby Rebel » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:17 pm

Kussel Creek lists the Harbor Freight chassis shipping weight at 242 pounds, the finished camper (the Cubby) with an empty weight of 910 pounds including spare tire and 7 gallons of water, and a tongue weight of 180 pounds. Not bad!
Rebel

Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

Harbor freight Price

Postby drage » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:09 pm

If your a patient buyer you can pick up one of the #1800 Harbor freight trailers for a sale price of $299. I had heard that they sell it that cheap but I didn't see it any cheaper than $349 on the web, I had been waiting for about 2 months and checking the web site regularly and then I got a HF sale ad in with my junk mail and there it was #1800 trailer with 12" wheels for $299. I live about 5 miles away from a HF store so I drove down and picked one up. Sometimes it's cheaper to have patience, and you may get some new ideas during the wait to.

Dave
drage
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:44 pm

I just picked up the Kuffle creek plans and noticed on his website they mention that the 1175# trailer is sufficient for building using his plans. My trailer just arrived today so I'll have more info as I move forward as to how easy it is to work with. I was a little unhappy when I first saw the boxes. They looked like they had been shipped under the truck rather than in the truck. If you purchase one, be sure to note any damage when you sign for the delivery.... Here's a link to the pics:

http://teardrop.ifindu.com/day1/
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Joseph » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:59 am

Hey Jimbo,

Jimbo wrote:I was a little unhappy when I first saw the boxes. They looked like they had been shipped under the truck rather than in the truck.

That seems to be the norm with these trailers and I suspect that's how they arrive from China. Mine came in similar condition but the contents were all there and nothing damaged. Just be sure to go through the list of contents in the instructions and make sure you're not missing anything. By the time you finish your teardrop you will have forgotten all about it. 8)

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:42 am

Jimbo wrote: Here's a link to the pics:

http://teardrop.ifindu.com/day1/

Jimbo,

You mentioned you didn't like the first profile you cut for the side. What profile was that?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:55 am

Mike, Here's a link to the old shell: http://teardrop.ifindu.com/d3/index.html The more I looked at it, the more I didn't like it. I made several mistakes and decided to start over. This time, I bought the Kuffle Creek plans. The good news is that I used cabinet grade plywood on the first version so, I will be reusing it in the galley on this one so I really didn't loose anything but time. It would have been a shame to cover the plywood on the first one anyway.
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mexican tear » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:55 am

Check out Tractor Supply. They have the 4X8 trailers too.

here is their web site. You can find the nearest store to you.

http://www.mytscstore.com/default.asp
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Jimbo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:54 pm

Well, after a couple of days working with the 1175# trailer, I have a fairly good start including modifications. If anyone is interested in the modifications that I have made so far, check out http://teardrop.ifindu.com/day1/
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:08 pm

Hey Jimbo,

I see why you changed to a different profile. I think you'll be much happier with Kevin's Cubby profile. Haven't seen any new wood yet on your web page... :?:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques