BBQ Masters!!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Brad Lustig » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:31 pm

I see way too many issues with cutting something like this down. If it isn't stainless, then it's probably going to be cast aluminum. Then you've got the issue of the burners. If you cut it down, then you have too many burners for that space. If you move the burners closer to the grill, you'd probably have more flare up and burnt food and uneven cooking. I'm not saying what you want to do is not doable, but it'd probably be much cheaper and easier to buy a grill made for the space. There are several stainless grills about the size and shape you're probably looking for. Check out those made for boats like Magna or Dickinson
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:41 pm

I agree with Brad...however, you won't find any marine type BBQ in the price range of this one....Guy, you better do some more shopping, but that's just my opinion....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby IraRat » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:05 pm

I agree with Brad, I agree with Doug, and I agree with just about everyone else here!

Why, it's a real lovefest! Just like Woodstock!

Those swingout grills that they sell for boats, mostly stainless and REAL expensive, well...that's not barbecue, that's just grilling. And trying to modify one of those stainless units? That use gas in the first place?

Let me guess--you're from Brooklyn?

Seriously, Guy--why waste the galley space for a really limited usage barbecue, when you can use a stand-alone unit that's bigger and really does the job? When I first started building my TD, I had visions that I would be working over that galley like Mr. Krabs--but now I realize that it's just an extension of everything else you're going to need while camping.

I also HAVE to have a major barbecue at my disposal, but there just isn't the room in my galley to accommodate it. Plus, I don't think it would be all that practical.

So I'm looking for that simple stand-alond answer. Probably a cheap vertical Brickman smoker I'll fire up on the side..
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

two more reasons

Postby Guy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:04 pm

Two more reasons, other than cost for using these in the teardrops4vets model is
1. having many seperate items that have to be stored or are standalone is more difficult for disabled people.

2. when you look for smaller units they start to get underpowered....like the Flamineta, (sorry all you Flamineta users).

The only high powered, high quality small grill I have found is also out of the price range for these models.

Which can be found on Solaire's sitehttp://www.rasmussen.biz/grills/portG.html

However Doug may have a great idea about building a bbq.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:53 am

That even LOOKS expensive!

Here's a thought. Maybe a STUPID thought, but a thought anyway:

Northern Tool makes a great 3-burner for just 60 bucks. Lookie here:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 98&R=23798

What if you bought a stainless steel box--even a huge stainless rectangular bowl like MadJack once suggested is available at Restaurant Depot type stores--drop that into the countertop, rig one of these burners in, rig a stainless steel grate, and you have a pretty big barbecue area. Don't know about covering it, though.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Expensive is right

Postby Guy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:32 pm

Dear Ira,

Expensive is right $400.00

I got one last year from frontgate on CLEARANCE< WEB SPECIAL< and every other kind of special you could think of and it was still $109.

That is precisely why I am thinking of "make your own" vs. "chop someone else's" .

I was hoping that someone else had travelled this road before me, however it looks like I am going first, with some help from others along the way.

The question is "why do it in the first place"? The answer is since everything else about a tear is customized why shouldn't the cooking apparatus. When designing the tear for disabled folk every little detail, every 1/4" can make a difference between usability and difficulty. Every difference in weight can make a huge difference. Even the amount of force that needs to be applied to do a task is an important criteria.

As someone with disabilities I know how I sometimes feel asking someone else to do some simple task for me. Trying to remove those everyday reminders of disability from this tear is a primary goal.

AND if the above does not convince you remember I was a Brooklyn Tech boy.
:D
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:09 pm

I know where you'e coming from. I love barbecue, and I would love to see what you do. I guess it's a matter of how you configure that galley to accommodate a large grill.

But what do I know? I didn't make it into Brooklyn Tech--only South Shore. And that school has to accept ANYONE!

And I'm a shining example of that.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:43 pm

My .02 worth...
If that's your only source to cook on, fine...
Now... if you want something else to barbeque on, nix the propane and go briquettes with soaked chips or just chips and cook slow ... That will put the smoke to the food. :twisted:
I'm intreaged with those little Cobb units, because of the longer cooking times and low amount of briquette consumption...
I barbeque year round and winter time barbequeing can get interesting sometimes... "Whadya mean, you guys only carry briquettes in the Summertime?" :roll:

Postby Ranger Rod » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:34 pm

I steer away from briquettes altogether and use lump charcoal. The briquettes have too many additives such as binders and even coal dust (Kingsford uses coal among other things.) I think you'll find that after you go with lump charcoal you'll never go back to briquettes. I got rid of my gas grill years ago and have never looked back. It really doesn't take that long to get a good fire going with charcoal if you use a chimney or the green fire starter. I never use charcoal lighter fluid. The starter cubes are OK too.
Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:08 pm

Rod...got a brand name for charcoal only? doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:23 pm

Ranger Rod wrote:I steer away from briquettes altogether and use lump charcoal. The briquettes have too many additives such as binders and even coal dust (Kingsford uses coal among other things.) I think you'll find that after you go with lump charcoal you'll never go back to briquettes. I got rid of my gas grill years ago and have never looked back. It really doesn't take that long to get a good fire going with charcoal if you use a chimney or the green fire starter. I never use charcoal lighter fluid. The starter cubes are OK too.
Rod

Chimney starter rules! :thumbsup: Actually I cheat, since my grill is next to the turkey fryer, I just light the burner and put the chimney on it to start the coals. If I'm in a real hurry, I start the leaf blower and blow from the bottom. It turns it into a mini blast furnace.

I like lump charcoal, I used once but I can't remember where I bought it. One thing I do remember was that it burns pretty fast compared to briquettes.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:43 pm

Rock,
I do the same thing and at home... I just bring the chimney inside, remove the black grill for the burner on my gas range and torch it for about 30 seconds. (I did get a phone call once while doing that... my smoke detectors work) :lol:

Rod,
I only came across that stuff one time and yes, it was great!!!
Found it at Walmart up in Crescent City. Went back there the following weekend to stock up on the stuff and it was all gone. :cry:

Postby Brad Lustig » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:51 pm

Yeah, the lump charcoal burns faster and hotter than the briquettes. That's what I use to get my cooker going or bump the temp up if it starts to fall. I use the briquettes to hold it steady. This cooker is 3.5'x5' so it usually takes a full bag of charcoal just to get it going. I actually prefer gas to grill on, but you can't beat charcoal for BBQ. Oh, I usually have 2 chimney starters going for the first hour or two getting the grill going. May have to try that turkey fryer trick! I have used a propane torch (the kind to heat asphalt) to start a pile of charcoal. That works prety good.

Anyway, I would think for a tear, propane is probably the best way to go.
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:42 pm

i have recently bought and used the "WEBER BABY Q" it is awesome! i have seen them at home depot for 129.00, i picked mine up on sale at target for 91.00. just do a web search for weber baby q grill, you can see the details.
Jeff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:53 am

Wood, my boy, wood.

Actually, as I'm sure you know, it depends on what you're cooking. But I've been using wood mostly because it burns real hot, and you can feed the fire little by little. Our big supermarket chain down here, Publix ("Where Shopping is a Pleasure") always carries Mesquite and Hickory chunks. And since I'm always AT Publix buying other things, it works out.

And right on about lump charcoal--it's the best. WalMart carries this huge bucket of the stuff in their Garden center, I think it's called Restaurant Style/Grade Lump Charcoal, something like that, and the stuff is fantastic. I don't know if it's considered TRUE lump charcoal or not, but it burns VERY hot, and burns long and consistently. (That's why I don't know if it's true lump--it burns a long time.)

Down here in the Sunshine State, they carry it year-round. I would think that in other areas, it's more of a seasonal thing.
Last edited by IraRat on Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques