BBQ Masters!!!!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Ranger Rod » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:54 am

I have used a propane torch (the kind to heat asphalt) to start a pile of charcoal. That works prety good.

Actually, I use a torch too (I just didn't bring it up). I use MAPP gas. Even though it's a little more expensive than propane, it burns really hot and I find that a can lasts me a year or more & I BBQ or grill at a bare minimum of 3 times a week.

With the grill I use at home, I can get temps up to the 600-700 degree range in about 15 minutes after starting my charcoal with the torch. If I'm doing a low and slow cook I start it with just one small section of the charcoal pile going.

Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woody » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:09 am

Ranger Rod
I have to agree with you about using a torch to light the coals. I had always found that lighter fluid always left kinda an aftertaste and it tainted the flavor of a good steak. Maybe it is just me, there is a different taste or cleaner flavor to the meat, when not using liquid fuel to start the coals
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Brad Lustig » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:34 am

I use Mapp gas, too for soldering copper pipe, but not the kind of torch I'm talking about.

THIS is what I'm talking about for heating coals. Also great for oyster roasts, burning effigies, and killing weeds. Image

I've got to get one for myself. I usually just use my father-in-law's if I'm in that much of a hurry. The chimneys usually are plenty. One trick I learned about the chimney is to squirt a little vegetable oil on the newspaper before you wad it up. That helps slow down the burn time so it lights the coals better.
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby Ranger Rod » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:55 am

Brad,
Check Harbor Freight. They have a weed burner that a lot of people use for starting coals. If it's not on sale now, it will be soon. I don't think it will work with MAPP though.

The chimneys do work really well. I just usually don't use it because of the size, etc. My Kamado cooker works like a chimney and will really get the coals cranking with just starting a few spots on the load of charcoal.

I am thinking of getting a smaller cooker (either #1 or #3 size) for camping. It wouldn't fit a tear, but I'll be towing with a pickup. The cookers are very heavy (mine at home weighs 475#) but the smaller ones weigh 89 and 149# respectively. It's a lot of weight, but they way they cook cannot be matched by anything else out there. They are also expensive, but worth every penny. Kamado site
Rod
Yay! I finally figured out how to post a link with text instead of showing the whole url. :applause:
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Brad Lustig » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:54 pm

The Kamodo looks like the Big Green Egg. Very efficient cookers for sure. I've seen somewhat similar cookers made out of terra cotta flower pots. Very cheap but have similar properties to the ceramic cookers. Alton Brown on Food Network built one.

I'll have to check out HF for that torch. Thanks for the heads up
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Postby Ranger Rod » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:37 pm

The efficiency in the Kamado comes from its thermal mass. The ceramic in the Kamado is 4-5 times thicker than the BGE. I can load it up with charcoal and start a small fire in the center, add a few chunks of hickory, a couple of 8# pork butts and set it to run about 220 degrees. It will chug along for 20+ hours till the butts are done for some awesome pulled pork. When finished I will still have enough charcoal left for a couple of shorter cooks.

Even though they are heavy and expensive, I think I'm going to have to order a smaller one for camping. The only thing is that the smell of hickory smoked pork going all night in a campground may start a riot ;)
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Hijackers

Postby Guy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:44 pm

I feel like shoving some hickory smoked, weber grilled, gas started, real briquettes up the chimneys of those who hijacked my thread,. :frustrated: :chicken:
Last edited by Guy on Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woody » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:09 pm

Guy
Temper, temper now Guy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:17 am

Woody wrote:Guy
Temper, temper now Guy :lol: :lol: :lol:

...dittoes here...watch that blood pressure. As to your thread, other than building your own , there are so many options available in gas, electric, fire(briquettes, ect) that there should be one close enough to what you want that buying one and then cutting it down doesn't make much sense to me...if ya can't find it for sale, then build it. I remember some Mexican laborers on a road job that were camping out, they had taken a 16" steel (plowing)disc, put legs on it and used it like a giant wok over a fire, cooking eggs, bacon, chorizo, fajitas and just about everything they ate on it...seemed to work wonderfully for them
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:30 am

Guy...you might also want to check out Cabelas catalog...They have what they call a BBQ box that fits on top of a regular stove..56.99$ porcelain finish....can be used as a smoker, oven, or BBQ..14" x 16".other sizes available.... www.cabelas.com Doug :thumbsup: and if it doesn't fit your needs they are really good about refunding your $$
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Hijackers

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:54 am

Guy wrote:I feel like shoving some hickory smoked, weber grilled, gas started, real briquettes up the chimneys of those who hijacked my thread,. :frustrated: :chicken:

You forgot lump charcoal... :laughter:

Postby Ranger Rod » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:43 am

I feel like shoving some hickory smoked, weber grilled, gas started, real briquettes up the chimneys of those who hijacked my thread

Geez, and I thought the thread was about BBQ! MY Bad. :oops:
Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woody » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:10 am

Some people just can't take the heat I guess :lol:
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Brad Lustig » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:44 am

I thought we were talking about heating up asphalt... :R
Brad Lustig
Teardrop Master

Fine

Postby Guy » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:05 am

Now you boys can go back out and play, but just don't get your woodies dirty. :angel:
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques