Recommended ground clearance

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Gern Blanston » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:57 pm

Hi everybody. I've been lurking for a week or so, but decided to join you today. I did a search & didn't find anything specific, but I'm new, so I apologize if this is an old subject.

I'm wondering what ground clearances are being used out there? What would you consider a maximum/minimum/average ground clearance design? And why would you consider that?

My project is in the early stages, and I won't do any serious off-roading. I'm planning to use a torsion axle & 15" wheels. I'm really interested in your thoughts for an ideal height recommendation for this little trailer.

Thanks!

Gern
Gern Blanston
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WarPony » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:38 pm

My trailer is about 17" from the ground. Not a design feature, just the way the trailer was when I started. I don't plan on any offroad adventures but I think it should suffice for what I intend.
I wouldn't get too concerned with the ground height unless you are making an offroad job, which you aren't. IMHO, unless you are going to make a drop floor, I think 15" would be the starting point.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Re: Recommended ground clearance

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:55 pm

Gern Blanston wrote:My project is in the early stages, and I won't do any serious off-roading. I'm planning to use a torsion axle & 15" wheels. I'm really interested in your thoughts for an ideal height recommendation for this little trailer.

Hi Gern,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are going to build a standard trailer, with a torsion axle, you will probably end up with about 14" of ground clearance.

Take a look at my custom 5x8 chassis details here:
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/chassis.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mightydog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:07 pm

Those are snappy wheels on that trailer, Mike!
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:17 pm

And if you use a straight axle you will get half or less of your tire diameter or less depending on any drop built into the axle/hub.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:56 pm

Gern,

I believe I've seen posts by some of the old hands saying the trailer should be level or close to it when towing to prevent sway. So a good place to start would be to decide if your tow vehicle will be a factor in what height your trailer should be built. In my case we are going to tow with a Honda CR-V the ball height of the hitch that was already on it gave me a trailer height of 15" on the level. 'course I could'a changed the ball height but the CR-V has that spare tire on the back of it and I didn't want to. But every part of the set up has variables in it. I chose the Flexiride torsion axle because it is splined and you can change the ride height by changing the starting angle on the spindle arms. Hope this helps, it is just my perception and how I got where I am, trailer height wise.

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Gage » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:22 am

I'm wondering what ground clearances are being used out there? What would you consider a maximum/minimum/average ground clearance design?

I just let my setup control my ground clearance. I'm running leaf springs with a 4" drop axle and 15" wheels with 205/75R x 15 tires. And then my sides hang over my frame about 5 1/2 inches. I ended up with 12" ground clearance, with the tear level. And from ground to top of the tear, it is 5 feet. My water tank hangs below my frame and I have 10" under it. It's up against and behind the axle.

Just the way I did it. Have a good day.
8)
P.S. I'm thinking about lowering the tear another 1 1/2" and changing the tire size to a 70 series just for the hell of it and lower it a little more. Then I can put the Wagon back down where it belongs. :lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:19 pm

Gage wrote:Image

P.S. I'm thinking about lowering the tear another 1 1/2" and changing the tire size to a 70 series just for the hell of it and lower it a little more. Then I can put the Wagon back down where it belongs. :lol:

That thing is really sharp and it looks like it is sitting perfect, already pretty low. Where the heck is 'back down where it belongs'?
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:37 am

Nitetimes, I raised the Wagon 2 1/2" in back and 2" in front for the Minden trip in case I lost my Air Shocks in back (which I did-twice) Shocks arn't working in that picture. That's the hight of the reaend when the tear isn't attached. Then the front should be lowered 2". As you can see, it's pointed to the sky :lol: The first time I left for Minden the Wagon was 2" lower and the Tear & Wagon were level. But I only got about 100 miles and had to turn around because the tear was almost on the ground because I lost my air shocks. So to fix the problem, I rerouted the air line, fliped the rear shackles over and added some spacer blocks to the front springs (I probably didn't have to add those) and headed out one more time. How's that saying go "Minden or Bust' :lol: With the air shocks, I can lower the Wagon where I had it and still maintain hight when I've got one of my trailers attached.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Have a good day.

8)
P.S. Sorry this kind of got off subject.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:12 am

Gage,
That's an interesting post...
I haven't read a lot about what folks run on their tow vehicles in the way of added or adjustable suspension.
I had Air Lifts (air bags) put on my truck a while back and right off the bat, they developed a leak. I took it in to have it looked at and the guy took a spray bottle of water, sprayed it on a few places and said, " Looks fine to me..."
They came with an on board air compressor, so the leak, which remained was nothing more than an inconvenience at the time.
A short while later one side started leaking real bad... I went to take it in again and the place was out of business...
I've since located the problem, it a bad air bag.
I'm planning on having new ones installed when I get my trailer done.

Anyone running air bags and have good results with them over an extended period of time???

Postby JunkMan » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:30 am

Our trailer has 12" to the bottom of the frame, 10" to the bottom of the axel. This is a bit low, but the car we plan to tow it with only has 6" of clearance (2000 TDI Beetle) :shock:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Gern Blanston » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:50 pm

Thanks a lot for the info. I didn't know what to use as a starting reference. Looking at the specs for the Dexter Torflex torsion axle, I got the impression that I need to determine my desired ground clearance before I decide which trailing arm start angle to buy. Won't there be a difference in ground clearance with a 0 deg. start angle compared to a 22.5 deg. angle?

Man, you guys have got some terrific looking rigs.

Gern
Gern Blanston
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:29 pm

Gern,

I bought the flexiride axle with the normal starting angle... (22* down)

It worked out perfect... my trailer has a wonderful ground clearance, and it looks right too... Hold on, let me run out and double check my measurement...

Yep, 14" clearance...

I'll take a couple photos for you this evening...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:38 pm

I had no idea what starting angle to order too. I figured somewhere between 0 and 45. I went down the middle and got 22.5. It is a bit high but (looks wise) but it is fine maybe as Cary says it will settle lower.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Well I gotta say, I'm surprised... this is of course the first time I looked at the angle... and I think it's set at 0*.

It's adjustable of course... I could change the angle, and lower it 2 or 3 inches... But here are the pics. Decide for yourself...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques