Brad nailer/stapler AIR or ELECTRIC????

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby doug hodder » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:19 pm

Guy...I hope I don't burst your bubble, but those compressors are going to work well for a brad nailer, or maybe a framing nailer...but they are not going to run a spray gun or any sanding tool....just something to think about....you need to get what is going to work for you, and if you have no intention about spraying or running other tools, go for it....but they will come up short for other applications....just my opinion...doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:33 pm

It is up to you how you are going to use your compressor as far as what you buy, but I will say this, I would get one with the biggest tank you can get unless you plan to carry it around a lot. Those little 2, 4 and 5 gallon tanks are great for portability but, they run out of stored air quickly, which means you need to stop and wait for the tank to build up again, which can be very frequently depending on the tool you are using. My framing nailer usually gets 4 to 6 shots between runs with my 4 gallon portable compressor with the last shot not being entirely driven. So I would recommend getting at least a 20 gal tank, I know HD lowes sell some with 30/40 gal tanks that aren't terribly expensive, a lot of them are 110, made just for the home garage.
I guess I'm spoiled because mine has an 80 gal tank, a new head and a new 5 horse 220v motor. Yep, it takes up quite a bit of space, it's noisy and a bit irratating when it's running, but I never have to stop when I'm using my air tools. Even my sanders and spray guns which are air hogs.
Just another opinion from the peanut gallery.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Sounded too cheap

Postby Guy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:47 pm

Dear Doug and Nite,

They sounded too cheap. Thank you for speedy responses.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:04 am

Guy,

Here's a couple options for air compressors. If you're looking for something portable this type might be suitable.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34850
Or if you have a place to put a stationary compressor you might consider something along these lines, it has a vertical tank so it takes up less floor space, yet still has a 60 gallon capacity.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3848
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby cracker39 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:01 pm

Stephen G. wrote:You will need a compressor that will have the ability to give you 120 psi and with enough capacity so you want have to wait to much for the compressor to catch up.

Unless you are rapid firing repeatedly, you probably don't need 120 PSI. I have a 5hp compressor with a 20 Gallon tank and it puts out only 90-95 PSI, but I use it for both a big framing nailer and a brad nailer and don't have any problems with pressure. If I am using a cut-off wheel, it does use a lot of air and I have to slow down for it to catch up, but the nailers work fine. I bought my compressor over 15 years ago and it is a great addition to the workshop. I have 100' of hose so that I can run it out to the vehicles if I need to remove wheels (using an impact wrench) or do shingling on the roof. I use it for painting as well. I can spray thin paints (varnishes, oil-based, etc.) with siphon setting on my paint guns, or latex using the pressure setting. It definitely will come in handing when I get around to building my trailer. I've never even considered using electric staplers, nailers, or impact tools. Just remember to keep your air tools lubricated with pneumatic oil.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

I bought a brad nailer

Postby Guy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:26 pm

Dear All,

I am standing in HD looking at all the brad nailers when I sign "Clearance $10" catches my eye. It is for a $49 electric Brad nailer made by Arrow that will push up to 1" brads. NOW I want you to know I do not even care about the brad part of the nailer /stapler I have been asking about(the stapler is what I need). But for ten bucks I had to buy it....what a sucker. At least that is one more thing I do not have to do with my useless wrists. I guess I am gonna have to find something to brad together. :thinking:
Last edited by Guy on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:33 pm

For 10 bucks you can't beat it! :thumbsup: Even if you eventually get an air powered one, it is nice to have a spare. Or one that you can use for a small/quick job.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques