What about not having a galley

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

What about not having a galley

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:19 pm

Say you don't want or need a galley
I am a vegetarian and rarely cook anything. Everything I need to eat/for eating can be put in the bed of my pickup.
How can one make use of that galley space in the tear then?
It won't be needed for storage because I have my pickup bed.
Can I knock out the wall and make that space part of the interior or would that not be possible?
Or what would be another suggestion to do with that space?
office?
entertainment?
dog house
???

Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

extra space is worth millions........

Postby barefootdale » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:46 pm

hey kathleen...it will be a good problem to have....i myself am starting on a slightly extended teardrop myself, all though i do not have a teardrop yet, nor slept/stayed in one, i have lived for extended periods, in both small houseboats and sailboats...and let me tell you, any extra space is golden.....I would just suggest figure out what your going to need the most of...you might even wait , until you have x-number of trips under your belt, and make sure what kind of space you need, versus what you think you need.....I myself have toyed with getting rid of the galley, and hatch all together on the tear i am building,,,,and converting it to closet/storage space, with the remainder towards enterainment needs,etc.....but i finally changed my mind, and am going to extend my tear 4 feet in the cabin, and keep the galley afterall.....i plan on using my tear, more than most, with alot of photography taking trips in the years to come, so i wanted the extra space,,,but since i am already extending my tear, i somewhat wanted not to "lose" the whole teardrop concept/look,etc.....plus i figure i will use the galley more than i anticipate.....so anyway, you might just want to take a trip or two, and i would venture to say, the answer will be right there in front of you more than likely.....after all, necessity truly is the mother of all inventions.....anyhoo, thats my ten cents........I got my metal (aluminum) ordered for my tear and is in my building spot now , plus have ordered my axles and rims , so hopefully i will have the shell of a tear soon...........good luck............barefootdale.........
barefootdale
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:51 pm

How exciting!
Yes, I think you are right about waiting.
Though I am kind of leaning toward a combination of entertainment /desk setup that can be accessed from the inside and flip open the hatch and access it from the outside to make a living room under a tarp.
Open the back of my pickup with kitchen stuff and then I would be all set.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:19 pm

Kathleen, it sure is nice to flip up the hatch lid and dig into your cooler, located under the counter of your galley, without having to go to your truck. Lets see, it's good for storing all of those veggies, fruits and cold drinks, plus is makes for a good food-prep area, while chatting with your friends and sharing all of those meatless, greaseless delicacies. Make a two-way entertainment/computer area if you want, but really consider taking advantage of all of the valuabale storage space within your galley. My latest tear has no storage below the counter top, that space is for my feet. However it does have a small cabinet above, for paperplates and some-such stuff. Good luck on your build.

Roly, building the second one, (which I said I would never do.)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby bdosborn » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:43 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the galley bulkhead acts as a big brace for the trailer walls. Our walls got * a lot * stronger when I installed the framing for the bulkhead. You might think about finishing the rest of the trailer and just provision for a galley. That way, you can camp in it awhile and then add the galley later if you decide you need it. My guess is that you'll end up adding one. For us, the galley is what makes our Teardrop so much fun to camp in.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Kathleen, it sure is nice to flip up the hatch lid and dig into your cooler, located under the counter of your galley, without having to go to your truck. Lets see, it's good for storing all of those veggies, fruits and cold drinks, plus is makes for a good food-prep area, while chatting with your friends and sharing all of those meatless, greaseless delicacies. Make a two-way entertainment/computer area if you want, but really consider taking advantage of all of the valuabale storage space within your galley. My latest tear has no storage below the counter top, that space is for my feet. However it does have a small cabinet above, for paperplates and some-such stuff. Good luck on your build.

Roly, building the second one, (which I said I would never do.)
>>>>>

I'm not quite understanding.. my truck would be right there at my tear.
I usually travel with the cooler up front in the backseat anyway because then it stays cooler with the air conditioning on in the car AND it is easier for me to grab a soda while traveling.
I guess I was just thinking of a rainy night and holed up in the tear, it would be nice to have a little bit more room since with all the space in my pickup I just don't need that area for storage or galley space.
Are you tall? is that why you need the extra space for your feet?
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:25 pm

bdosborn wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the galley bulkhead acts as a big brace for the trailer walls. Our walls got * a lot * stronger when I installed the framing for the bulkhead. You might think about finishing the rest of the trailer and just provision for a galley. That way, you can camp in it awhile and then add the galley later if you decide you need it. My guess is that you'll end up adding one. For us, the galley is what makes our Teardrop so much fun to camp in.
Bruce
>>>>

Oh no, it is already built and it DOES have a galley. I purchased it from someone else and am picking it up in florida over christmas vacation. I am in TX.
So are saying that it would not be good structurally to remove that wall?
How about making some kind of access from the inside to that area?

I understand what you mean about liking the galley. But I used to own a 34ft two bedroom travel trailer and I rarely used the kitchen. I am just not big on that kind of thing. And especially I usually travel and camp by myself or with my son...
So the galley area just would not be used that much by me.
But I will see.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:28 pm

PS Roly--I have been to your neck of the woods. I lived in Palm Springs for 7 years with a few months of that time in Oceanside and another few months in Big Bear.

And BRUCE I just moved here to TX last year from Colorado Springs.
I miss Colorado SO much!
I'm going to be in Steamboat springs for spring break 2006.
Can't wait!
Do you snowski?
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:47 pm

I would leave it and go camping for awhile with it. Then after you get a feel for your needs then make the decision to remove it. And bdosborn is right about the structual integrity of the sidewalls and the removal of the galley and or the bulkhead. I don't think I would start the removal unless you either built the thing and or you know how it was built or understand the way it was put together. You could create a bigger problem than you are trying to cure with stuctural components or if it has a hatch it could cause hatch alignment problems. The galley bulkhead is a major structural component in most teardrops for lateral movement. plus only god knows how it was installed or attached in the first place. Besides a galley is nice to have when no picnic tables are available to set stuff on or prepare food let alone for storage which is lacking in most teardrops anyway
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:53 pm

BUT.... I don't need the storage area. I have the whole back of my pickup AND my pickup also has a backseat. I have plenty of room.
BUT you also have some good points about the structural integrety and that is what I was worried about.
Instead of using that area for more inside room I could use that area for something else... like a desk area---or something fun.
Like you said--when I get it and start using it, I will think of something.
Another thought I had was to use the top part of for something.
BUT cut a little door for my dogs to go in the bottom part and use it has a little doghouse. Surely a little door cut into it would not affect it structurally... you think? Make their little beds in the bottom of it?
They are little dachsunds.
Thank you!
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:55 pm

Kathleen wrote:<snip>
So are saying that it would not be good structurally to remove that wall?
How about making some kind of access from the inside to that area?
<snip>

Its hard to say since every trailer is built differently. I'd take a long look at how the trailer was made before I took the bulkhead wall out. I think you'd be pretty safe just creating some access.

I'm like the only guy in Colorado who doesn't ski. I do love Steamboat though. You have to go eat at Boommerangs and check out the Strawberry Hotsprings while you're there.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:14 pm

I am DEFINITELY going to the hot springs. I am a hot springs addict. All my vacations are designed around hot springs.
I own points with WorldMark Trendwest and they have condos there. Hard to get a reservation but I made these a year in advance.
I used to live (in addition to C.Springs), ==Georgetown and Dillon.
I was a flight attendant for Continental Airlines in my early 20s and was based out of Denver.
Those were the days!
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:31 am

bdosborn wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that the galley bulkhead acts as a big brace for the trailer walls.

Bingo.

It's the middle bulkhead wall which kills you space wise, but even if you could structurally eliminate it, try to visualize the curve of the roof. I don't think you would gain much space-wise.

What about modifying a TD design--keep the curved front, but at mid point, let it go straight back, so you have a true square back that's 4' tall. THAT would give you a lot of extra room.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Kathleen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:34 am

That would be geat for someone that is building theirs but mine is already built.
I am not trying to create more space. It's fine. I am trying to figure out what to do with the space that is normally used for the galley when I don't need it for a galley. ;-)
I'm not much of an outdoors cook.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:40 am

Sorry--I don't always pay attention.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques