What about not having a galley

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

no galley...

Postby vinoscooter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:31 pm

Hi...i don't have a galley in my camp pod...It's 4x8...I built it useing alot of 2x4's..(1 1/2 X 3 1/2)....5 of them across the top + 1x 4's for the vent frame..running across... 4 1x4's from the floor to the roof also...on each side. 2x4 sub floor..2x3 runner's running the length of the floor on each side...3/4 in floor, 1/2 in sides & roof.2 Wall studs on each side are actually for a galley..18in from the back...It sure feels solid..Been on several logging roads..actually trying to break something lose...If something needs more support id rather do it now..than later..It just seems Rock Solid...w/ no problems...the space where the galley would go...I have 2 small dressers..1 on each side...& a place to put,chuck box,zodi shower,coleman stove,folding tables& chairs,portable sink,etc.If need be..It's amazing how much stuff can go in that little space..I like the extra interior space (Also 2 interior fold down small tables are fantastic)Not haveing a galley..& while set up to camp all that stuff is outside anyway...Then it's realley quite roomy...Could even cook in it...on a small scale..Plenty of room to change clothes..move around etc..It works for me...As far as the support the galley adds,yes it adds ALOT of support, I might add another 2x4 about 14in down from the roof going across where the galley wall would be...use it to build a cabinet across...That would even give the pod more support..At this time I just don't think I need it though...But the cabinet would be nice.The pod is working great,all the other things to add will be added in the future,at a slow pace,I can see myself working on things for another year or so...A galley isn't necessary as far as in concerned..I also added an outside table on the back...where the chuck box goes,will add 2 more outside tables, 1 on each side, later... :) I have a very bad back, & need to lay down frequently, It's great to have the extra interior space. Today's my birthday 55...so im typing this kinda fast...will do a little partying to say the least..Today...vinoscooter
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Kathleen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:49 pm

lol that's ok
hey it's located in florida
go take a look at it for me
;-)
just kidding
I know florida is a BIG state
just like Texas
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:40 pm

I've made the drive several times. Once you cross the state line it's, "Whoo Hoo we're in Florida." Then it sinks in, you still have 500miles to go. I've made it straight thru by myself, but now we usually stop in Biloxi for the night.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:57 pm

asianflava wrote:Once you cross the state line it's, "Whoo Hoo we're in Florida." Then it sinks in, you still have 500miles to go.

Man, you got THAT right. And I kind of regret not being born 50 years earlier.

It's just BORING driving on 90% of the highways these days. It's a job, not a joy, and THAT'S why I hate to drive long dstances. Nothing to see but asphalt and McDonald's rest stops.

Route 66 just sounds so cool and glamorous to me the way it once was. I don't mind driving 45 mph as opposed to 75mph if there's something to actually enjoy looking at along the way! And that's also why I love northern California so much--it's simply spectacular.

So with TD or not, I highly, highly recommend to anyone who hasn't been there, fly out to northern California (or to LA), and do that trip north on the Pacific Coast Highway.

For scenery from a car, Florida sucks.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:04 pm

Have you ever driven across Nebraska east to west before, now that is boring, you'll swear your driving circles. I can handle FLORIDA atleast the scenery changes :lol:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:42 pm

Kathleen,
You could cut a hole in the lower part of the bulkhead and use that as a doorway for a dog, to access the new under counter dog house. That is kind of how I have mine done only I jammed my A/C in there.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Kathleen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:03 pm

TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote:Kathleen,
You could cut a hole in the lower part of the bulkhead and use that as a doorway for a dog, to access the new under counter dog house. That is kind of how I have mine done only I jammed my A/C in there.
>>>>
that is probably what I will do!
K
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby DestinDave » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:48 pm

Woody wrote:Have you ever driven across Nebraska east to west before, now that is boring

You can stand at the east border of Nebraska and see the West border... I have a good friend who was born and raised in Nebraska and she always says "suicide in Nebraska is rather redundant"... :lol:
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:32 pm

Kathleen, Colorado is beautiful, spent 2 years there (Fort Carson) courtesy of Uncle Sam. No, I am NOT tall, however my feet touch the hatchlid because my 40" wide tear is only 6 feet long! Do you have plans to rework some of the galley in your newly purchased Tear?

Roly, finally getting a break from the over 100 degree temps, whew! :cry:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Kathleen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:12 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Kathleen, Colorado is beautiful, spent 2 years there (Fort Carson) courtesy of Uncle Sam. No, I am NOT tall, however my feet touch the hatchlid because my 40" wide tear is only 6 feet long! Do you have plans to rework some of the galley in your newly purchased Tear?

Roly, finally getting a break from the over 100 degree temps, whew! :cry:
>>>>>

The deal fell through.
I told them I could buy it if they didn't cash my check till sept first.
My bank called and they cashed my check when they got it. I am SO upset.
Then the guy has the nerve to tell me that it is illegal to post date a check... well yes but he said he wanted it on the first... I didn't have the money in my account till the first so that was the only way to do it. He had agreed to that.
Brother!
Anyway, I am without now. Deal is off.
On to plan B.... thinking I will just pay more and buy from a dealer.
Anyone have one to recommend in either TX or WI or CO or AZ? those are the places I wouldn't mind driving to.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby doug hodder » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:25 pm

Hey Kathleen....not to be devils advocate here....but before you get set on your design modifications...you might want to wait with what you are going to do until you know exactly what you have to work with....I'm guilty of coming up with all sorts of things I want to do on a project prior to having it on site and found that I had to do things a little differently....Yes, I know...it's too much fun to let things go wild, and there is nothing wrong with that, but make sure of what you have....then plan....Just my experience....Doug :thinking:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:31 am

Kathleen wrote:On to plan B.... thinking I will just pay more and buy from a dealer.
Anyone have one to recommend in either TX or WI or CO or AZ? those are the places I wouldn't mind driving to.
Kathleen

There is a place in Cedar Park that sells Little Guy trailers. Or You might be able to talk to Charles and Linda at Inks. It looks like Cocoa Cola Teardrop is still available to buy. The other thread said that backwoodsman may be using the trailer at Inks so you may even get a chance to check it out first hand. They were using a Tacoma so a Tundra should pull it with no problem.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kathleen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:29 am

doug hodder wrote:Hey Kathleen....not to be devils advocate here....but before you get set on your design modifications...you might want to wait with what you are going to do until you know exactly what you have to work with....I'm guilty of coming up with all sorts of things I want to do on a project prior to having it on site and found that I had to do things a little differently....Yes, I know...it's too much fun to let things go wild, and there is nothing wrong with that, but make sure of what you have....then plan....Just my experience....Doug :thinking:
>>>>

Indeed.
Where in northern ca are you?
I taught school in marysville and lived in the grass valley/nevada city area for 17 years.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kathleen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:30 am

asianflava wrote:
Kathleen wrote:On to plan B.... thinking I will just pay more and buy from a dealer.
Kathleen

There is a place in Cedar Park that sells Little Guy trailers. Or You might be able to talk to Charles and Linda at Inks. It looks like Cocoa Cola Teardrop is still available to buy. The other thread said that backwoodsman may be using the trailer at Inks so you may even get a chance to check it out first hand. They were using a Tacoma so a Tundra should pull it with no problem.
>>>>

is there a website for the coca cola trailer?
dang, I am a diehard pepsi fan. lol
I will do a search for the little guy place in cedar park. That's close
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:59 am

quote]is there a website for the coca cola trailer?[/quote]
Try this. http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=472
Jim
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques