I'm new and I have questions 8D

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

I'm new and I have questions 8D

Postby Critical Mass » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:58 pm

My TD is still on paper and I'm in the "collecting ideas" stage. The plans change almost daily but I think I'm sticking with a 5x9 Benroy. Also I believe that I will insulate it as you never know where you'll end up when you leave home. It seems fairly common to utilize 1x sticks to build the wall frames and 1/4" ply on the interior wall with 3/4" insulation but (here comes the first of many questions) why not use 1/4" ply for the outside wall as well instead of the 3/4"? It seems like structurally it should be about the same as using 3/4" ply but with less weight.

I could be wrong, just ask my wife,
David
Critical Mass
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toypusher » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:07 pm

Kuffel Creek teardrops only use 3/8" exterior walls with 3/4 insulation and 1/8 interior walls. My Cubby is plenty sturdy.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:07 pm

David,

First, welcome to the forum.

Actually, most people that insulate their walls, as in built up with 1 X and plywood, use either 1/4" or even 1/8" ply.

The ones that use 3/4" don't use insulation in the walls or any other type of sandwich construction. It's the 3/4" ply for the side walls and that's it.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: I'm new and I have questions 8D

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:11 pm

Critical Mass wrote:My TD is still on paper and I'm in the "collecting ideas" stage. It seems fairly common to utilize 1x sticks to build the wall frames and 1/4" ply on the interior wall with 3/4" insulation but (here comes the first of many questions) why not use 1/4" ply for the outside wall as well instead of the 3/4"? It seems like structurally it should be about the same as using 3/4" ply but with less weight.

I could be wrong, just ask my wife,
David

1/4 + 1" + 1/4 is what I plan to do but many will disagree.
like if something hits the outside will it hold up. But I have found many are built with 1/4 on the outside.

Many of these guys have over built their tears but it is they'res and they can do what they want with pride

It will be lighter and weight depends alot on what you are pulling it with.
If it is a old VW bugor a Truck. Andrew is from England and can show lots of examples of lighter contruction. While many here in the US have big trailers they pull for longer trips.

So it really depends on your budget and what luxuryes you want when you are camping.

And you will be finished before me, I just figured out I have to start over again. At least I only have the floor.

So Welcome to a world where answers can be found ..... full of very smart folks with creative ideas.

Email Mike he will love to get you started.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:25 am

I used 3/8 ply for the walls, 1 by 2's for the framing (which actually measure 3/4 by 1 1/2, so I used 3/4 insulation), and used 1/8 birch paneling for both interior and exterior skins.

Those walls ain't going nowhere.

Additionally, the Cubby plans call for ALUMINUM skins, which aren't going to structurally do much to strengthen the wall--yet the 3/8 ply, framed, is still plenty thick to do the job.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:15 am

David,
Half inch plywood walls here, with 1/8th inch mahogany on the outside. Inside the half inch plywood is 1X2 framing with foamboard insulation and 1/8" birch inner skin. TD is a 60" wide by about 122"long, had intended to use 3/8ths plywood, but the 1/2" seemed to not be as warped looking when standing alone. I'm not using plans, except what I glean from the board. If I had prebuilt my walls I would probably done it like you are thinking, but I set the 1/2" plywood up on the frame and used a thin strip of wood to create the curves of the TD, not the best way I am sure, but then again there was no tape measure or grid marks involved, just what pleased me aesthetically. Good luck with your build.

Steve in St Augustine
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

thanx for the replies

Postby Critical Mass » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:46 am

ok, I believe I can make the frame work strong enough to keep even 1/4" ply from bowing on the exterior so the walls are now going to be insulated and should end up approx. 1 - 1.25 inches thick.

I have seen it done both ways but it seems like it would be better (strong) to set the walls atop something (either the trailer chassis or the decking) rather than attaching them to the sides of the decking.

I am assuming that the 60" comes from the size of a queen size mattress. If so does deminishing the interior by roughly 2.5 inches (thickness of 2 walls) matter or am I over thinking this too much?

The wife-unit brought up a good point at the dinner table, if I went with a full size mattress I could make this TD 6 inches narrower and would gain 6 inches of real estate in the galley area.

let me know i I'm wearing y'all out with these questions,
David
Critical Mass
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toypusher » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:20 am

If you mount the outside wall to the side of the deck and put a horizontal peice of framing the length of the wall on top of the deck and glue and screw to both the deck and the outside wall, it will be plenty strong. IMHO

If you use custom cut foam mattress (like from Knox Foam) you can use any size that you want. Just order the correct size.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:24 am

David, a queensized mattress (60" wide) isn't the only width built. Lots of people build 4' or doublesized mattress. And yes, you pick up a lot of extra inches by doing that. Just depends on what you want for interior space.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:24 am

I welded metal tabs to the under side of the frame for wall support. That way I could cover the sides of the frame and still have support for the walls. The picture in the link http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=2067 it's hard to see the tab. It's in the lower right of the picture. It's painted black to match the frame. Look for the dust on it.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:05 pm

Dave, I actually did mine incorrectly, and I DID attach the side walls to the outside of the deck/framing. The Cubby plans call for it to sit on TOP of the trailer frame, with the deck/framing to recess at least 3/8 on the sides. (I think ir's 3/8--I'm old and I forget things easily.)

This would have called for me to cut the ply narrower on all sides than its store-bought 4 by 8 size, and to make the deck framing accommodate this now reduced size.

Too much work for a lazy idiot like myself.

Yes, I was plenty redundant in securing everything, but I'm going to do what Madjack did, just to be safer:

I'm going to take aluminum angle (strong L-shaped stuff that HD and Lowes has), and secure it, in the cabin, to the side walls and deck floor, for added strength.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:47 pm

8D you mean people actually use that stuff outside of work?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:48 pm

David, my little woody has Lowes "1/4" inch lauan plywood, which is actually only 3/16". All openings are framed with 1x2 pine members and I think it is solid as a rock. The roof is 2 layers of 1/8". Check out my construction pics on the link below. No insulation and no interior paneling. Good luck on your build.

Roly ~~
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Steve Frederick » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:48 pm

First Tear, 3/4 ply-3/4 insulation-1/4 inner wall...Way to heavy!!
Second/ third Tears, 1/4 -3/4 - 1/4. very strong. I laminated the walls on a flat bench with urethane glue. Flat and sturdy. I don't think I'd change a thing!!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques