on board environmental systems 8D

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

on board environmental systems 8D

Postby Critical Mass » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:19 pm

I have seen here many wonderful ideas for installing an (affordable window) A/C unit into a TD. I've seen them installed in the galley area, hanging out the side, even sitting on the tongue and remotely ducted into the Tear!

It seems like you would need either A/C or heater on a trip but not both (generally). So I was looking for a removable setup but have not seen a unit installed in a hatch or window in the front of the Tear (Ben Roy). When arriving at camp the window or hatch could be removed and the A/C unit installed quickly. Maybe supported by legs that can be unfolded to rest somewhere on the tongue. Would this eliminate the icing problem usually associated with the ducted systems?

Also, as far as heat goes, has anyone ever used one of these. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... oryid=3000
I have a friend who uses one tent camping. Thats what they are made for.

just thinking again,
David
Critical Mass
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:38 pm

...have you seen the pet cool it is central air and heat in a window AC sized unit
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

the Pet Cool

Postby Critical Mass » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 pm

It's an option but a little price prohibitive at $399.oo on sale. As oposed to the $100.oo for the best cheap window unit...
Critical Mass
Teardrop Inspector

Re: the Pet Cool

Postby TomS » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:20 pm

Critical Mass wrote:It's an option but a little price prohibitive at $399.oo on sale. As oposed to the $100.oo for the best cheap window unit...

I'm not installing A/C in my tear. Living in New England, I don't feel that I need it. I usually camp in either the mountains or the coast. Both locations have cool nights even in the height of summer.

However, If I were to install an A/C, I'd go with the Pet Cool. This system has a lot of advantages that IMHO would justify the added cost. With the unit sitting outside the trailer, it frees up precious space. With the uniti sitting outside the tear, there is less noise. And, it can be left at home when you don't need it. Also, if would be much easier install this unit into a completed tear.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:10 am

Everyone keeps ignoring the less expensive portable ACs that Pep Boys sells. I wish i could put a link here, but they don't seem to have it on their site--only in their circulars.

But Mass, it's all a matter of taste and budgeting. I bought a digital thermostat window unit (5200) BTU with remote control for 100 bucks, cut a hole over the tongue, and stuck it there.

Who the heck wants to shlep something else when I'm going away from the weekend? It's there, and that's it. Nothing to think about.

And when was the last time you heard the word "shlep" in Western Georgia?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

thanx once again

Postby Critical Mass » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:21 am

As stated before my TD is still on paper. I expect it to take 6 months to a year to complete and twice that long to start but I'd like to build the first one with a few mistakes as possible so I wont HAVE to build a second one if I dont want to.

The wife unit and I have backpacked for years. About ten years ago I moved to a hammock. Last year however I got stuck in a tent and had to once again sleep on the ground. I decided the next morning that since I have my head down headed straight into my mid 40s, that sleeping on the ground was out of the question forever, inflatable pad or not! 8D

A few months later another friend ask me if I had ever seen one of these Tear Drop things. By that time I had forgotten the night on the ground and had become all tough again so I didn't really think much about it. Slowly the memory came back I got to thinkin about these small pullable trailers with a nice comfortable mattress inside.... this is how it started.
Critical Mass
Teardrop Inspector

I almost forgot

Postby Critical Mass » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:22 am

Has any one check these heaters out yet?

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... oryid=3000

thanx,
David
Critical Mass
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:54 am

David, I think you're going to be surprised to discover that if you insulate like most of us, you many not need that all too much to start. With insulation all around, plus your mattress which acts as an extra barrier, it can get pretty cozy in there.

My TD hasn't hit the road yet, so I'm just talking from what I've heard here. Also, I'm in South Florida, so take this advice from the sauna from which it comes.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:13 pm

...David, hitting 40 and sleeping on the ground is how alotta us ended up here. As to heat, there is a very small volume in a TD and most find that something like an elctro-warmth 12v heating pad on the bed and MAYBE a ceramic 12v heater to knock the chill off at times is more than sufficient for all but the mose extreme winter camping...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:30 am

We are full-time church planters, and also do work in dozens of Mexico's Indian villages. After my back surgery, the sleeping-bag-on-the-ground routine (with ticks, bedbugs, lice and 10 million mosquitoes!) got real old! And as a friend says, I am getting to the age where what doesn't hurt doesn't work any more!
:lol:
We are excited about the missionary Teardrop project! And it will be air-conditioned!
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:31 am

I am looking for the delete post part, and can’t seem to find it ...
Last edited by xe1ufo on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:32 am

Woops! Double posted! So sorry :cry:
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:18 am

xe1ufo wrote:Woops! Double posted! So sorry :cry:

Doc--if you "edit" your post, there's an option at the bottom to delete the entire post.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Cutterpup » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:55 pm

Dr Steve what are ?
We are full-time church planters

:thinking:

I wondered just how deep do you need to plant them? And do you water them or just leave them on there own? Do they need extra fertilizer? Do you need to put up scare crows to keep the birds away? Do churches grow best in the sun or part shade?

:lol: :lol:

Dan

Just kidding but I invite everyone else to help keep this going!
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques