My Potential windows

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

My Potential windows

Postby bennelson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey everyone!

I stopped out at a local place that does van conversions. I asked if they have any round "porthole" windows that some conversion vans used to have. The guy there said they don't and they aren't available anymore.

I explained that I am working on building a small camping trailer and needed to find windows to put in the doors. He looked in two different back rooms and finally pulled out a pair of used windows.

These are roughly 15 inches by 17 inches. Black painted aluminum frames. Rounded corners (yeah!). And screens (without holes in them!)

These do have lots of caulk on them. The black paint is scratched up pretty bad. They are definately used. I have no clue what they were pulled out of or when.

They are about 1 and a half inch thick, which seems about right for my walls. They also have some sort of interior ring that comes with them.

The guy wanted $20 each, which seemed like a hard to beat deal, seeing as how they are the right size, shape, and have screens.

I am going back tommorow with my door cut-out to make sure these will fit.

These windows will need some TLC, but seem like a good deal otherwise.

Anything I should be thinking about or am overlooking?

-Ben
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

window

Postby randy chesnutt » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:16 pm

ben, it sound like you found some rv windows. that inside ring you are looking at is the ring that holes the windows in. you will see screw hole in the ring and if you look at the back of the window you will see where the screw, screw into. you can repaint them and rescreen them. if you can get them for twentybucks each, get them. rv window are not cheap . you can allways make them fit.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:46 am

I have found that the aluminum frame windows clean up real nice if you bead blast them. You could also frost them for privacy at the same time if you like.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bennelson » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:13 am

I used some "spray-on frost" on my bathroom window, which faces right out into my driveway.

It is a pretty big window, so I did full frost on the bottom, and designed a stenciled pattern for the top half.

I hadn't thought about it for a teardrop window, but it's a good idea.
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby xe1ufo » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:54 pm

I went to a recycling place the other day. They had a bunch of the old commercial washers and driers there to be crushed. Hmmm .... some of them had some very nice round windows on their doors. Different brands and different sizes.
:thinking:
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques