Got a welder... now what?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Got a welder... now what?

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:17 am

OK, my wife got me a 90 AMP wirefeed welder from Harbor Freight (an early birthday present). It accepts tips and wire from .023 to .040

I was very excited until I realized that I know next to nothing about welding.

I could really use some advice here.

I have seen photos and video of how to run a proper bead, safety, etc., howeverI have no idea about the other stuff.

What is the purpose of the different size wires? How thick of a metal can I weld on? Since this is gasless, how do I prevent oxidation? Is it really true that I should never hook the ground to my big toe and touch the tip to my tongue?

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:01 am

Shrug,

Since you have no experience, and every type of machine is a little different, I'd advise you to read the instructions. I know that's no fun, but I can't tell you anything about a gasless machine except it takes a special wire, and I've been welding as a hobby for years.

I would, however, suggest you get some scrap steel and practice with your new machine a while before you start on a project using expensive materials.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sedanman67 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:18 am

Gasless welders use 'flux core' wire. The wire is like an inside out welding rod. The flux burns and creates a gas cloud that keeps oxygen out of the weld. Just like a stick welder, you have to chip away the slag. Go get some of the material you want build your trailer out of and cut into small pieces. Read the instructions on your machine and weld a few of the pieces together. Post the pictures here and I'll see if I can advise you. What is your location?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up way too much space!
sedanman67
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:22 am

I haven't welded in years, it was mostly gas with very little TIG. Even then, I had somebody else weld my frame. With no shielding gas you will need flux core wire. The flux burns which acts as a shielding gas.

There are so many variables that it makes it difficult to learn. One thing you should learn to recognize is a good bead. Not a pretty one but a good one with proper penetration and height. After you recognize a good bead, you can play with the adjustments to see what they do. It takes a lot of practice and burning up a lot of scrap metal.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:48 am

Shrug
I ran a small lincoln gasless wire welder for years than my youngest wanted to build a faster race car and the rules said that you couldn't use gasless so we converted to gas. The gas is a lot easier to get a good weld with and is stronger. After buying the regulator and hook ups the wire is cheaper but you buy the gas too so cost is a trade off. but it is easier to weld with gas. IF you remember to turn the gas on that is, I forget. I guess I got to use to the old gasless way. If I want anything welded good I take it my son, he is alot better than me.
I agree with every one else the only way to learn is to get some steel and start doing it.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby JerryMae » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:34 am

I would suggest that you go find a local vocational school and take a welding class. This will ensure that you learn both correct setup and technique. Safety is something else that should be learned, no sense in burning the house down. Jusr my thoughts on the subject.
JerryMae
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JunkMan » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:37 am

RAYVILLIAN wrote:IF you remember to turn the gas on that is, I forget. I guess I got to use to the old gasless way.

Also make sure you remember to turn the gas OFF!. I forgot one night, and my whole bottle leaked out :cry: Not only was I out the cost of the gas, but it was on a weekend, and I couldn't finish my project until then next week when I could refill the bottle.

I always hang my welding helmet on the regulator when I am done welding to remind me to turn off the bottle. I even turn it off if I just run out for parts or lunch, figuring I might get tied up with something else and not make it back to my shop that day.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby ceebe » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:42 am

Also, Dont go cheap on the helmet and faceplate. Can't buy new eyes y know
ceebe
Teardrop Master

Postby purplepickup » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:59 am

JunkMan wrote:Also make sure you remember to turn the gas OFF!. I forgot one night, and my whole bottle leaked out :cry:

That's for sure!! I've got little tricks to remind me to turn the gas off too but every once in a while I forget. I keep a full backup tank but it still ticks me off to have to refill a tank that leaked out. Luckily my Hobart doesn't leak very much.

Shrug, I agree with Powderburn that welding with a 110V 90 amp welder is going to be challenging if you're going to get good strong welds. You might want to check the local junior colleges or Vo-Ed schools to see if they have a welding class. Most areas do. It will help you a lot to get hands on experience. You'll be surprised to see that some welds that look good can easily be broken apart because they don't have good penetration. Good luck.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:56 pm

Shrug.....all good info here, and of course read the manual...there will be some helpful hints as to settings for the thickness of the material that you are wanting to weld....get yourself a bag of extra tips...you're gonna need them....practice laying a bead on a flat piece of iron...then try 90 degree welds using a fillet....try it flat then vertical, until you get the hang of hand movement...you don't want to cold lap a weld....It'll fail...you want to watch the burn point to make sure that it is actually melting the material surrounding the weld and making it part of the weld....it's not exactly like a bead of caulk....it has to really penetrate the metal and make it all one piece....Using a gasless...wipe down all metal prior to welding...no paint or rust...sand/grind that off...It is a lot of fun...I've had really good luck with my gasless and I'd be willing to bet that my trailer will long outlast me....Just my experience....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

welding tip

Postby demtears » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:27 pm

I also have a small house plug in 110 90 amp welder I just started welding my frame up a couple of weeks ago, and I had not used my welder in a few years. my wife also bought this welder for me for christmas a while back and this is the first real weld job that I have used it for. Im using 0.23 wire with shielding gas upon making my first pass on my frame I was soon to relize my weld was not getting the penetration I wanted like one of the posting said, slow your wire feed down until you hear a consistant hisssss! and I found that pre heating the joint or metal I wanted to weld really helped out in the final weld. I just used a propane torch with an electric ignitor so it was easy to turn on and off when needed, this would bring up the temperature of the metal instead of starting off cold good luck !
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:46 pm

Practice, practice, practice and after you think you have some idea of what you are doing have an experienced welder look at some of your work. Cut through a couple of your best welds and see if you are getting some penitration. And try to make your joints as tight as you can so you aren't filling gaps with your welder. You will find that there are a lot of uses for a little home welder that you never thought of.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jonkayak » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:08 pm

I have a small Lincon Weld Pack that my wife bought me also (I see a trend here). I would say that the welder here want be the issue as much as the person doing the welding. I used my little 110 welder to weld up a custom axel for a jeep a few years back and it (the welds) have held up just fine and this jeep has been through hell and back. So pratice 1st like everyone says before you build your trailer though. Also check at the welding sights like hobart, lincon, and others. Many of them have how to sites that will basicly teach you to weld. Good luck in your adventure.
1st tear drop sold. Second TTT will be glassed and look like........weekender maybe???????
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:52 pm

Thanks all. The info is good. The manual that came with it sucks! Practically no info at all. Hey people always talk about scrap metal. Where do I get scrap metal?
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby sedanman67 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:45 am

Go to your local welding shop, explain what you are doing, ask if you can have/buy some of their scrap. If the shop owner is a friendly guy, ask if he would critique your welds when you bring the scrap back (it has value to be recycled).
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up way too much space!
sedanman67
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques