Outside Coverings and Weight

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby angib » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:52 pm

SteveH wrote:Don't remember what Steve's Cowper weighed for shure, but I do remember it was built on an old boat trailer.

Do you mean that memory is not the razor sharp instrument I think it is? Sorta more like wet spaghetti, eh?

Although Steve has removed most of his Cowper pages from his web site, his plans on pdf are still there. If anyone thinks they might want them, I suggest they save a copy now.

But I did find the weight - 467lb.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby xe1ufo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:39 am

Andrew: I seem to recall somewhere that some are using C-chanel. Is that stronger, lighter?
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:23 pm

Channel will generally be lighter than rectangular tube for a given strength.

For example, 2" x 1" x 1/8" channel is 95% as strong as 2" x 1" x 1/8" tube, but only weighs 70% as much.

The exception to this comes when dealing with long members* - the torsional stiffness of the tube will make it less liable to collapse due to instability, so it will win out over the channel. For something like a trailer tongue, you would need to have 3-4ft of unbraced tongue for it to count as a long member.

Andrew

* Ira, shaddup. 8)
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:25 pm

Who said anything about a "long member"? :shock:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mitheral » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:18 pm

angib wrote:Channel will generally be lighter than rectangular tube for a given strength.

For example, 2" x 1" x 1/8" channel is 95% as strong as 2" x 1" x 1/8" tube, but only weighs 70% as much.

The exception to this comes when dealing with long members* - the torsional stiffness of the tube will make it less liable to collapse due to instability, so it will win out over the channel. For something like a trailer tongue, you would need to have 3-4ft of unbraced tongue for it to count as a long member.

Andrew

* Ira, shaddup. 8)

Thanks for that info Andrew, I'm drawing up a frame now and had planned to use square tubing. But if channel is just as strong for less mass it's the way I'll go because channel is cheaper too.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby xe1ufo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:36 pm

I believe Andrew has convinced me to use square tubing, as we have some pretty good roads and planty of bad ones here in Mexico. One of our jokes: Did you know why they are going to widen this road? Because the pot holes no longer fit!

So Andrew: What would you suggest as a square tubing size for a 4 by 10 cabin?
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby Will Smith » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:54 pm

xe1ufo wrote: One of our jokes: Did you know why they are going to widen this road? Because the pot holes no longer fit!

too funny!
Benefit mankind, use your screen saver for something useful. More information here:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Will Smith
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:27 pm

xe1ufo wrote: One of our jokes: Did you know why they are going to widen this road? Because the pot holes no longer fit!

Are you absolutely certain you don't live in PA? We just have sections of road linked together by potholes.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby toypusher » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:16 am

Nitetimes wrote:

Are you absolutely certain you don't live in PA? We just have sections of road linked together by potholes.

I'll second that! :shock: :O :fb

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Geron » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:44 am

Ok, That settles it. With the Tear virtually done the next project

An Airplane: Bearhawk or Christavia

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/k ... stavia.php

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, That's after I get the house built. Construction loan approved. Plans ordered. Local Gov't permitting red tape started. I'll have to modify the plans so's I can get the plane in and out of the basement :twisted:

Maybe I could build them both at the same time and call the Plane "First Draft" :roll:

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:55 am

Geron wrote:Ok, That settles it. With the Tear virtually done the next project

I'll have to modify the plans so's I can get the plane in and out of the basement

Geron

I'm thinkin' that could be just a tad pricier than a TD and getting it out of the basement could take some seriously creative engineering. Then of course there's that whole "gettin' a license and learning to fly it" nonsense. Could get to be a real pain. :thinking: :shock:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Geron » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:49 am

Nitetimes wrote:
Geron wrote:Ok, That settles it. With the Tear virtually done the next project

I'll have to modify the plans so's I can get the plane in and out of the basement

Geron

I'm thinkin' that could be just a tad pricier than a TD and getting it out of the basement could take some seriously creative engineering. Then of course there's that whole "gettin' a license and learning to fly it" nonsense. Could get to be a real pain. :thinking: :shock:

Your're Kidding!! You have to get a liscence and learn to fly them?? I was just going to hop in and take off :chicken: :worship:

Remember the Uncles in the movie Second Hand Lion???

O well, guess that's one's on the back burner.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:04 pm

xe1ufo wrote:One of our jokes: Did you know why they are going to widen this road? Because the pot holes no longer fit!

My limited experience of Mexican roads is that they're bad, but you need to go to India to see a decent pothole. An Indian joke is: "It gets dark in the bottom of these potholes, doesn't it?".

On a road through the docks in Calcutta, I saw a man sitting in the middle of the road. Now you do get to see lots of things in India - (sacred) cows wondering through city streets and so on - but people don't sit in busy roads, so he had my full attention. The next moment he rose up out of the hole, revealing that he was riding a Vespa-type scooter and the depth of the hole he'd just passed through was the same as the seat height on the scooter. Now that's a pothole.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby xe1ufo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:01 pm

Yes, Andrew. The pot holes in India were quite impresive. We were preaching over there last year. Travelled from Calcuta (now Kolkatta) to Kessinga. What an amazing country. 3,000 different languages, 300 million gods. 1,026,000,000 people (one out of every six people on the planet!).

Another joke here is: If I am elected president, I will take out all the speedbumps (there are millions, since people don't respect stop signs or speed limits) and use them to fill in the pot holes!

:thumbsup:
Dr. Steve
Central old Mexico
xe1ufo
Teardrop Master

Postby ceebe » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:09 pm

Your're Kidding!! You have to get a liscence and learn to fly them?? I was just going to hop in and take off :chicken: :worship:

Remember the Uncles in the movie Second Hand Lion???

O well, guess that's one's on the back burner.

g[/quote]

Any idiot can be taught to fly a plane. I'm living proof of that! :D
Build it and then learn to fly in it
ceebe
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques