FRP ? exterior ?!!! attn: BEV T and others

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

that HDPE is interesting stuff....

Postby mike_c » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:48 pm

That HDPE is interesting stuff....

Comes in 1/16 in. thickness, 48" x 120" sheets, as well as 60" x 120" sheets, which would do the sides and top of my teardrop perfectly. I wonder how opaque it is. Polyethylene is generally somewhat translucent, if I recall. But I could paint the trailer white before applying the external skins. Sounds like construction adhesive mounts the stuff securely but I think I'd want to trim and float it anyway, for security.

Has anyone else tried using this stuff to skin a trailer?

--Mike C.
If it isn't broke, perhaps a more expensive tool is required to break it....
mike_c
Teardrop Master

Postby Colemancooler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:32 pm

i found an in depth thread on here yesterday in regards to this, but the outcome was that it expands and contracts too much from hot to cold, so it does not look nice when it bubbles up and wrinkles from expansion, sorry I don't have a link
Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Postby mike_c » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Colemancooler wrote:i found an in depth thread on here yesterday in regards to this, but the outcome was that it expands and contracts too much from hot to cold, so it does not look nice when it bubbles up and wrinkles from expansion, sorry I don't have a link

Hmmm. The Anvil company apparently manufactures industry standard airline and trucking packing cases out of HDPE on plywood: http://www.anvilcase.com/products/products/anvil-iron/

[quote]Anvil Iron® is our most extreme line of defense. It utilizes an extremely tough defensive HDPE covering over the plywood that provides additional protection to cases that are constantly on the go, and often subjected to forklift applications. The case wall is a custom laminated process that is composed of 1/8â€
mike_c
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:48 pm

The PolyMax went badly:

PolyMax Thread

Basically, nothing (including any type of adhesive) will stick to it.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Colemancooler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

more info about HDPE and plywood....

Postby mike_c » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 pm

This is fascinating, but unfortunately not very illuminating. There are apparently several companies manufacturing HDPE faced plywood panels-- they advertise incredible surface resistance and strength, both indoors and outdoors, including applications like decking and marinas.

On the other hand, most everyone posting to the various forums I've browsed says that the stuff essentially cannot be glued, at least not permanently, even with marine adhesives. If that's the case, I can imagine it looking pretty sad on a trailer if its coefficient of expansion is significantly different than the underlying plywood.

Nonetheless, there are numerous manufacturers who do sell the stuff laminated to plywood, and they claim exceptionally long life for the composite material. :thinking:

--Mike C.
mike_c
Teardrop Master

Postby mike_c » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Colemancooler wrote:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=6803&highlight=polymax

skip to the last page for the outcome

Yeah, that last response is discouraging. But Sid used double sided tape to adhere it, and presumably it came loose. Damn. It sounds like the PERFECT skin material-- inexpensive, UV stable, damn nearly indestructible. The problem seems to be adhesion to a plywood substrate, but as noted above, some manufacturers are selling ply laminated with the stuff for exterior applications. How do they do it? :thinking:
mike_c
Teardrop Master

Postby Colemancooler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Last edited by Colemancooler on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:03 pm

We used to use HDPE on boats and found that some adhesive tapes would stick to it, but we weren't trying to get a strong bond, just enough to stop the HDPE pieces flying around.

I believe there are adhesives that you can use to make a strong permanent bond to HDPE, but the problem is the price.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chef_Stan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:22 pm

I posted a question about FRP a few months back. Someone responded by saying that they made fence pannes out of FRP ten years ago and they are still holding up strong. I think when I build I am gong to use this for at least the side wall skin.
Chef_Stan
Teardrop Builder

Postby Boodro » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi Chef , I have frp on my roof , its been 6 yeaqrs now with no problems. Its very easy to work with I used to have it on the sides to , but changed it to a woodie , then painted it. The roof stays cool in the sun as its white. Good luck with your build.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sid » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 am

mike_c wrote:
Colemancooler wrote:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=6803&highlight=polymax

skip to the last page for the outcome

Yeah, that last response is discouraging. But Sid used double sided tape to adhere it, and presumably it came loose. Damn. It sounds like the PERFECT skin material-- inexpensive, UV stable, damn nearly indestructible. The problem seems to be adhesion to a plywood substrate, but as noted above, some manufacturers are selling ply laminated with the stuff for exterior applications. How do they do it? :thinking:

Nope, it did not come loose, that was not a problem at all (I think the tape was called VHB? ...for Very High Bond?).... But as was stated somewhere else here, the contraction and expansion of the polymax causes an oil can effect. It was not extreme, but not very appealing to the eyes, especially in the sunshine. The stuff is very durable though and the teardrop is still on the road.

Sid
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques