Tire distance/wall

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Tire distance/wall

Postby rooster » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:06 am

When I gathered infor for my tear, I was told by a teardrop parts person that the tire side wall should be 3/4" to 1" from the wall, just big enough to get you fingers between them. So I do just that.
Reading what Juneaudave wrote about his/her axel, the distance is much larger. Did I make a great mistake and how do I fix it? What should the distance be? I'm about 90% complete with my project.

Jim, :cry:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:12 am

Are you saying that you have more clearance, or not enough?

If you have more, it should not be a problem, as long as your fenders will cover the tire. I have 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" clearance on mine, and am not worried about it. I think 3/4" - 1" seems a little tight.

If you don't have enough clearance or are concerned about too much, you could look for wheels with a different offset to adjust the clearance.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:14 am

Jim, you're basically worried about fender clearance, right? Did that guy know you were going to put fenders on?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Tire didtance'wall

Postby rooster » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:12 pm

JunkMan & IraRat, I feel I want a little more distance between the wall and tire. Temporarily I'm using 235-75RX15 tires/wheels, 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle, and they are 3/4" from the wall. I will be using 10" fenders.
I know a narrower tire would help, but what size I don't know. I don't know that much about tires.

Jim, :?
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:22 pm

Jim,

You can gain some space with nothing more than a set of spacers.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:03 pm

Or a set of wheels with more offset. Or narrower tires.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:10 pm

...Jim, what kinda axle are you using...if it is a torsion type, then all is well since they have virtually no side to side movement. If you have a spring hung axle, you may need to go with a thinner tire or use some spacers to get out to 2 in, personally I donr like spacers but they can be a saver...check with your tire dealer to see the diiference in a 205 or 195 width tire
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Gerdo » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:46 pm

I only have about 700 miles on my Teardrop but I have about 3/4" between the sidewall of the tire and the inside of the fenderwell/wall and I have had no rubbing. I am running a 205/70/R15 radial passenger tire at 30 psi. That 700 miles was driven thru the mountains of Colorado at 50-60 mph on state routes that are very twisty. As others have said, different wheels with more offset or spacers can get you out of a problem if you run into rubbing down the road. I've seen small cheap spacers at Pep Boys or bigger more expensive custom ones mail order (back of 4x4 magazines)
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Tire distance/wall

Postby rooster » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:11 pm

Just got back from varathaning my doors. Hanging the second aluminum skin tomorrow.
Thanks for all the differant ideas. I'll go over to the tire store and see what they recommend.
This is a cool web site where you get great help
Thanks again....
Oh! forgot to mention, I'm running with axel and leaf springs.

Jim, :applause:
rooster
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:37 pm

I've built hundreds of trailers and 3/4" to 1" between the fender and tire was about average on them. The only time it was ever a problem was a bent axle or severly worn suspension parts on heavier trailers. If you go to a 215 or 205 tire width you will have plenty of clearance.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby shil » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:42 am

I've got less than an inch of clearance between the tire and the wall. We've travelled over 9,000 km with no rubbing. I've also got a straight axle with leaf springs.

Don't worry about it, you're OK.
shil
Donating Member

Tire distance/wall

Postby rooster » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:08 pm

Well, everything everybody told me about the distance between tire and wall is correct.
I went to my local tire store and learned that the 235 is in mm. and the 75 is the percentage of 253 for the highth of the tire, and 15, well we know what that is. I didn't know that before. So I don't have to worry. I was told that if I want my tear to sit lower is to go to a 215-70Rx14 tire.
Thanks for all the information everyone gave!!

Jim, :applause:
rooster
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques