How do you cut the aluminum after door holes are in place?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

How do you cut the aluminum after door holes are in place?

Postby John6012 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:15 pm

I just realized that I should have waited to cut out the doors until after the aluminum sides were on. I have those holes there and if I glue on the aluminum, it might be somewhat scary since there is more chances to ruin the whole thing if I make a mistake. This is my plan, after the sides are in place, use a box knife and run around the edges of the door opening until I cut thru the thin aluminum. I realize that I can't be too aggressive as it will stretch the aluminum. What do you think? Is this a viable solution? Thanks
John6012
Teardrop Master

Postby randy chesnutt » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:17 pm

if i understand you. that you need to trim off the excess aluim. around the inside of the door. if that is the case use a router with a straight flute bit with a bearing on the end. that what i used and i put some 3m oil on the bit on and off during cut. sometime the alum. will build up on the bit. you have to clean it off. no big deal.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby Michael W » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:11 pm

There was a thread on this topic just last month. Here is a link:

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45797&highlight=#45797
Michael W
Teardrop Master

quote doug

Postby jay » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:56 pm

"use an upcut spiral bit..."
jay
Donating Member

Postby John6012 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. I think you mean drill or create a hole in the skin and push the bit up thru the skin and into the chuck of the router and then the bearing follows the bit around the door. Right?
John6012
Teardrop Master

right!

Postby jay » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:30 pm

well, if you use a "self piloting upward cut spiral bit" it will already have a point - but it wouldn't hurt to dril a hole to get it going. most ball bearing cutters are used to trim stock; situations where the entire bit is not surrounded by material. any good woodworking store or webpage should be able to offer a few different choices.
jay
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:15 pm

There was a recent thread that mentioned using a carbide knife to trim aluminum, this method might work for you especially if you intend to save the the excess for skinning your doors.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

How do you cut the aluminum door opening

Postby rooster » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:42 am

I got inside the tear and drilled 3/32" holes in each corner and on the radius and cut it out with my jig saw with a fine tooth upcut blade tilting the saw to follow the outside edge to keep from cutting in to the wall. It worked perfect. I put duct tape on the shoe of the saw to keep from scratching the painted surface. That worked for me.

Jim, ;)
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby Geron » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:04 am

One other option. If you have access to an air compressor and "nibbler" This combo works like a charm no matter if your cutting out the complete door or trimming the edge. Eliminates router all but for a small amount of clean up in some areas.

geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques