Water tank size

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:17 am

I got a 10 gallon RV water tank on ebay for 25 bucks plus shipping. 10"X17"X21". But I sure like Madjacks tank system. The best way I know to make water last is to use a hand pump instead of electric. But I've been known to take a bath in the lid of my plastic bar soap dish when sailing off shore for any length of time. 2 of us go through about 40 - 50 liters of water in a week on the boat, but a lot of that was used rinsing salt off ourselves after swimming and diving for grub. If you can call a rock lobster and grub.

Steve in St Augustine :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:29 am

...remember, that you can put a "U" on both ends and even "T"s in the middle...going with 6" pipe, effectively doubles your capacity...making water last is why we are using a drainless sink, we call it "forced water management"
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Grey Duck » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:26 am

madjack wrote:... here is what we did for a water tank...it holds 5 gals
madjack 8)

Do you have a diagram that shows what the fittings connect to?

I am new to teardrop plumbing.

Thanks

Robert
I should put pontoons under my teardrop then I could lay in bed and fish out the door.
Grey Duck
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:36 am

...Robert the large(1.25") is for the fill, the other 2 are 1/2" and one is a vent and the other goes to the pump, an on demand cheapie from jcwhitney
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby s4son » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:06 am

MadJack,

Does your tank sit vertical or horizontal? What are the deminsions? What's the capacity?

Thanks for the info,
Scott F.
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:23 am

..the tank sits horizontally under the floor and is just over 7'long, made of sch40pvc and holds around 5 gals...if you used 6" pipe it would hold just over 10 gals
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Grey Duck » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:48 am

madjack wrote:..the tank sits horizontally under the floor and is just over 7'long, made of sch40pvc and holds around 5 gals...if you used 6" pipe it would hold just over 10 gals
madjack 8)

10gals wow I could make one and hook it up to the Coleman Hot Watersystem. Might have to make vent bigger?

Robert
I should put pontoons under my teardrop then I could lay in bed and fish out the door.
Grey Duck
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:59 am

...the vent is not a function of capacity of the tank but the gph of the pump...a vent of almost any size is adequate for our type application
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Grey Duck » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:02 pm

Michael W wrote:In the LuxoTear, we have a 7 gallon Aqua-tainer. This usually is enough to last us for a weekend trip using it for cooking and washing up. Note that water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon, so full the Aqua-tainer weighs almost 60 pounds. If we are camping were I know there will be water, I prefer not to haul around the 60 pounds when in route, chosing instead to to fill up the tank after we arrive at our destination. For added safety, we have a cermic water filter in-line between the Aqua-tainer and sink. This assures we are safe from giardia and other water borne bacteria if the quality of water at the campground is unknown.

I like the setup and the flooring.
Two questions for you:

1- Are using a pump for your sink?

2- Any picks of the filter- how is it attatched?

I agree water quality can be quesstionable especialy in a national forrest
and your system solves that.

Thanks

Robert
Grey Duck
Teardrop Builder

Postby Gaston » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:48 pm

I am making my tank from thin wall 6" abs drain pipe with "u" bends on both ends much like Madjacks. Holds water OK......now if I just had the trailer built to install it in..
;) javascript:emoticon(';)')
Wink
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques