I did find this product specifically for RV trailers:

http://www.rvedition.com/

$100! Is it worth it?

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby demtears » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:48 pm

That's pretty neat I think it would be worth the hundred buck's to keep track of your tear's mileage for maintenance etc. Im going to check into the product more to see how the unit is calibrated for different size wheel diameters.

Thank's for the tip! :thumbsup:
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby bmacke » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:37 pm

I was just thinking of something like this recently an found this thread with the good 'ole forum search.

I don't have much to add yet but I figured a thread bump might do it some good.

Anyone have any new info on these things?
bmacke
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rladams39 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Try this one, all you have to do is calculate the revs per mile and pick the correct ratio, best thing is its only $35
http://www.accutrakdirect.com/servlet/StoreFront

And you can use this website to figure the revs per mile
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/tirecalc.html
rladams39
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:59 pm

I agree with Joseph (2nd post). Just keep a notebook in your tow vehicle and log the mileage towed...takes 30 seconds to get it from the glove box or console, note the mileage, and put it back. That's easier than having to calculate miles from revs on the wheel and there's nothing to have to install or hook up. KISS, folks, KISS.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nobody » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 am

cracker39 wrote:I agree with Joseph (2nd post). Just keep a notebook in your tow vehicle and log the mileage towed...takes 30 seconds to get it from the glove box or console, note the mileage, and put it back. That's easier than having to calculate miles from revs on the wheel and there's nothing to have to install or hook up. KISS, folks, KISS.

Yeah that! We keep a log of ALL our travels. Every time the TD leaves the backyard it's 'logged' on a page of a 'Steno Pad' (just our method, any kind of 'record' book will do ;) ). All I hafta do is flip thru the pages & add up the daily mileage to get my total. I also keep a 'Service/Maintenance' log (in an envelope taped to the inside of a cabinet door) with dates of bearing check/service, etc. Makes a nice reminder of places we've been & people/events/sights we encountered. :thumbsup:

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:08 pm

cracker39 wrote:I didn't see whre anyone mentioned wheel travel up and down over bumps. If the pickup is mounted to the chassis, the wheel bounce might affect the pickup as the magnet will change position when the wheel moves up and down. Personally, I'd just keep a log from the tow vehicle's trip odometer.

Aside from the fact that adapting a bike odometer would be fun, it's probably not worth the time. At least that's what they told Wilbur and Orville.

I would try to get the magnet as close to the axle as possible. Mount the pickup sensor (it's called a hall effect transducer, in case anybody cares) on the axle, and calibrate the computer to the circumference of your tire. I don't think it will have the range (if you go wireless) to keep the computer in your tow vehicle. It may not even make it to the inside of your trailer. These things are designed to transmit a couple of feet.

Who knows, you might get lucky.

Try it, just for the sake of discovery! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Re: axle odometer

Postby GeoDrop » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 am

Just stumbled across this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stemco-Hubodometer-check-models-available-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120397142703QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

Dave Nathanson wrote:Hey, does anyone know what kind of axle odometer is availalbe to put on a TD? Is that even what they are called? Hubodometer? I just thought it would be sort of cool to know how many miles are on it, instead of a wild guess. Good to know when to grease the hubs too. I just got a Northern Tools master catalog, but didn't see any axle odometers or mileage meters of any similar kind. Ideally, I'm hoping this would be an easy bolt on deal.
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 pm

I have enough to keep track of, I like the idea!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby ews2112 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:15 pm

I was interested in how 'hubometers' worked, mechanically, so...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubometer .

As for keeping it simple...I think this is really simple and, I'm with Thomas on this one...I already have enough to remember.
ews2112
Teardrop Builder

Postby ERV » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi
Just to add to the mix. My oldest son is now into bike riding. He has an app. on his phone that is called My Tracks. It records your tracks by GPS. Gives you time, speed, distance and elevation. He has not tried it in his car or motorcycle yet to see if it works. But the other nice thing it does , is it lets you mark stops he makes along the way to look at stuff. Then he can share these with his other friends that ride, through Google My Maps. And he thinks he can print the maps to make a log of his rides.
I have it on my phone , but have not had time to play with it yet. No fun doing it going to work, ha.
Erv
P.S. I know what we put on the tear this year so far, one trip to Indiana. 620 miles. Work is going nuts right now. Guess I am happy to have a job. Sure cuts in my play time tho. And Janny has me fixing up the house this year too. New paint outside and going to start a deck in a few weeks. Still painting in my spare time. :cry:
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby ERV » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi
Just to add to the mix. My oldest son is now into bike riding. He has an app. on his phone that is called My Tracks. It records your tracks by GPS. Gives you time, speed, distance and elevation. He has not tried it in his car or motorcycle yet to see if it works. But the other nice thing it does , is it lets you mark stops he makes along the way to look at stuff. Then he can share these with his other friends that ride, through Google My Maps. And he thinks he can print the maps to make a log of his rides.
I have it on my phone , but have not had time to play with it yet. No fun doing it going to work, ha.
Erv
P.S. I know what we put on the tear this year so far, one trip to Indiana. 620 miles. Work is going nuts right now. Guess I am happy to have a job. Sure cuts in my play time tho. And Janny has me fixing up the house this year too. New paint outside and going to start a deck in a few weeks. Still painting in my spare time. :cry:
ERV & JAN
Medina, Ohio
ERV
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey, ERV, I've gotten lots of camping in this year. Not too much work though. :D
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques