Question for epoxy users

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:15 pm

Andy, I love spraying finishes but would never use a standard gun with epoxy...you would never get it cleaned sufficiently...there are special guns used for epoxy that mix the two agents in the REPALCEABLE tip as they are sprayed...but for the home hobbyist they are simply too expensive...at least any I have seen.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:54 am

doug hodder wrote:pour a chilled bottle of syrup or honey into the gun...see how it sprays...it's easier to clean up than the real thing...

From my experience with dried-on syrup, this sounds like a superb spray-application glue........

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Andy Ehle » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:23 pm

thanks Andrew and Mj

I was not really thinking of useing a cup gun. The only thing I thought might work would be the airless, its a small campbell Hausfeld setup bought It to do my moms new cabinets :thumbsup: when I remodeled her bathroom( she had to move out for 4 months) :( boy what a job that was.

I can see problems with epoxy curing in the gun and or pump(very bad)

So I guess I'll just roll or brush it on.

BTW MJ I saw your water tank last night and loved it, Here I was ready to buy a tank . this is sooo much easier and I even Have scrap stored in my shop.

Andy
Andy Ehle
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:04 pm

angib wrote:
doug hodder wrote:pour a chilled bottle of syrup or honey into the gun...see how it sprays...it's easier to clean up than the real thing...

From my experience with dried-on syrup, this sounds like a superb spray-application glue........

Andrew

...then all ya have to worry about are the ants (y'all got them across the big pond???)

Andy, the water tank has worked out beyond expectations...just be sure to clean it out really good after building to rid yourself of any plastic shavings and such which can stop up the pump...we ran 2 legs connected with 2 90*s if we were to build it again we connect both ends in a continuos loop...if you need any specific advice/instructions on how we built it, just ask...as built, it holds about 5gals.....

madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jimbo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:53 pm

Here's where I show my lack of knowledge... Do you need to use cloth with epoxy on the entire project (Teardrop) surface or just on the edges to strengthen the joints. Then, use epoxy, without cloth, on the rest of the wood. I would like to shoot the finished td with acrylic enamel auto paint to match the tow vehicle.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby rasp » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:33 pm

you can use epoxy and cloth where you need the strength and just epoxy where you don't need the strength.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques