Side Tent - Anybody make your own? Care to share plans?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Side Tent - Anybody make your own? Care to share plans?

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:42 pm

After our first camping trip, we've decided it would be extra nice to have a side tent to get dressed in (I'm 6'4"+, kinda hard to get dressed in bed) :thumbdown: and a place to potty at 3 in the morning, or so my wife says. :poop: (more her problem than mine, but just trying to accomidate) :BE

I hope I'm not asking for much, but we don't spend time sitting around the camper or too many days in one spot, so.....
1. Would like it to be attached to the camper without having posts/legs on the ground
2. Easy to assemble / put up / take down / not time consuming
3. Withstand some wind, don't want it folding up when my wife is in the process of "using" it. Probably made from conduit or pvc pipe?
4. Doesn't take up a lot of room when disassembled for storage
5. Will more than likely have a roof over the top, door may be as simple as a shower curtain she's already purchased that matches her :DOH2: OWWW!, uh,... OUR theme for the camper

Equipment I have on hand and not afraid to use are: Pipe bender, industrial sewing machine (canvas & leather capable), a porcelain thrown to ponder thoughts on, and a neighbor willing to help, he's already donated a 10 x 20 screen tent with all pipes and joints along with a 8 x 8 sun shade tent with all pipes and hardware.

If you have pictures of the one you use or could suggest I'd like to see them, if it looks like the design would work for me, I'd like to maybe get some more details pics :snappy:

Administrators: If there is already a sticky for this please direct me to it.

Here's the profile of our l'il camper
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Re: Side Tent - Anybody make your own? Care to share plans?

Postby linuxmanxxx » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I use a simple Texsport SUV tent that is 10 x 10 and 8 ft high and bungee it over my camper side over the door and at $120 you can't beat it. Use it a few years and just get another one if it gets worn. Damage will only happen if its not staked and secured to the camper properly.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 pm

I dont have one of my own but have seen quite a few. Looking at where your door is located respective to your roofline and the space between the top of the front /hinge side of the door, you
may have some struggles with something that attaches to the tear, either the roof or the side wall. Your roof slopes down well before your door ends. Not to rain on your parade but you may be better off with a suv tent such as previously suggested.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmckruit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:26 am

If you want something quick and dirty to change in, or place a porta potty, or even take a shower, try one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Shower-Utility-Room/8571890

They are only $40 at the WalMart and they go up in about 10 minutes. I love mine.

Dave
dmckruit
The 300 Club

Postby LDK » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:06 pm

Hey Whitney

I'm in the process of having a side tent made myself. There's an upholster that lives on my mail route and he's gonna make mine as soon as he has the time. We already have the material and I made 2 adjustable tent poles out of emt conduit. I'm gonna use snaps along the top trim and some along the bottom for a skirt. It will have a zippered door and 2 windows and it'll be roughly 5' by 5' and 6' tall. Hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks and when I do I'll post pics. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby michaelwpayton » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm

dmckruit wrote:If you want something quick and dirty to change in, or place a porta potty, or even take a shower, try one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Shower-Utility-Room/8571890

They are only $40 at the WalMart and they go up in about 10 minutes. I love mine.

Dave

Easy to acquire/procure, easy to setup, easy to place/move to exactly where I want it at any given time, inexpensive... what's not to like :)
Thanks for the link!
-Michael

"all things should be as simple as possible... but no simpler"
michaelwpayton
Teardrop Master

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I looked at the tex sport suv tent = waaayyy too big

The shower tents are easy to put up, but are only accessable from one side. Would like it to be a "walk-thru" design and attach to the camper as previously stated.

nevadatear wrote:Looking at where your door is located respective to your roofline and the space between the top of the front /hinge side of the door, you may have some struggles with something that attaches to the tear, either the roof or the side wall. Your roof slopes down well before your door ends. Not to rain on your parade but you may be better off with a suv tent such as previously suggested.

Excuse me??! ;) A comment like this posted on a website where most everyone builds there own campers? Some from whatever design and material they can come up with? Now THAT sounds like a CHALLENGE! :twisted: How dare you suggest that I shell out hard earned money for something :lol:

However, I did find this design on the Camp Inn website and kind of like the idea behind it. Still a little big depth wise, but,....... Not sure about strapping the whole thing down either, not a bad idea, just possibly a slightly quicker / easier way by snapping along the top as Larry suggested. It is 42" x 48" x 6'2" high (now we're talkin'), could modify that a bit higher, but could live with it. It's tempting, but at $300 - Ouch. (Big Woody wants $500 for the same one, must be "special")

Larry, is this something along the design your having made?

I'd really like to see one of these in person. :thinking:

Remember, I have an industrial sewing machine and not afraid to use it!
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Since we completely built our tear from frame to quilt inside by ourselves, I can understand the draw of this "challenge." Hmm, Most people are looking for the easiest way to hook up the tent, the ones I have seen were just a "C" of pipe, attached to the wall or roof of the tear, thus my comment as your roof is "slanty". With an industrial machine at your disposal, all kinds of things open up. Actually, I did have an idea. A couple at the Dam Gathering in May had made a side tent by receivers at the bottom, which then then slide in pipe that then bent upwards and then curved out at the top. I don't have any pictures and the probably doesn't make any sense! If they are at IRG I will take a pic, but I don't think they are on this board and I don't remember their names. So this is no help at all. Maybe I was better off not posting at all. :oops:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby LDK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:50 am

Hey Whitney

This is the same side tent that Tom (aggie79) has. He said he likes his but it does take a few minutes to set up.

The one I'm having made is more similar to what Gage has. It just has 2 tent poles and it snaps on the top trim piece. Gage said it's a quick set up. His rolls up where mine will have a zippered door and 2 windows plus I'll have a skirt that'll snap on the lower trim for extra privacy. I just hope it looks good when he finishes it. :worship:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:19 pm

nevadatear wrote: A couple at the Dam Gathering in May had made a side tent by receivers at the bottom, which then then slide in pipe that then bent upwards and then curved out at the top. I don't have any pictures and the probably doesn't make any sense! If they are at IRG I will take a pic, but I don't think they are on this board and I don't remember their names. So this is no help at all. Maybe I was better off not posting at all. :oops:

Debbie, I do believe I understand exactly what you're talking about and that's a great idea. If possible, pics of that would be great! :pictures:

Larry, WHEN you get your's next weekend, take some pics of it for me. I checked out Gage's in the HoF, that's not a bad design either.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby pmowers » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm

I have a tent that fits underneath a 10x10 instant shelter. I have been contemplating putting a track, something like awning rail on the side of my 6x10, then making a sleeve which would either velcro or zip into the tent door. I had an Ozark Trails cabin tent from Wally World that had a dome tent attached to a side door in a somewhat similar fashion. I plan on making a pattern out of some house wrap- its cheap, you can sew it and it is water repellent. I do not think that you would require any additional poles, as the passage would be attached on both ends.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Build log:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51193
pmowers
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:51 pm

pmowers wrote:I plan on making a pattern out of some house wrap- its cheap, you can sew it and it is water repellent.

Now we're talkin', Great idea!!! :applause: :thumbsup: :thinking:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:50 pm

WhitneyK wrote:
pmowers wrote:I plan on making a pattern out of some house wrap- its cheap, you can sew it and it is water repellent.

Seems like that would be perfect for an off-season cover for the trailer too!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:54 pm

WhitneyK wrote:

At least with house wrap if you screw up on it you can always pull more off the roll and try again. Don't know how well it'll hold up but you can get plenty of practice sewing. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 pm

What is house wrap?
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques