4x10 sheets of OSB and wood strips?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

4x10 sheets of OSB and wood strips?

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:32 pm

Ok everyone, I have looked and looked and looked and no retail store can get me 4x10 sheets of hardwood plywood. So I was thinking what if I put a 4x10 sheet o OSB on it and put wide strips of the wood I choose over it. Or should I put half inch strips directly down. I am afraid of likage in the strips being put right down. What should I do, thanks.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Spook » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:45 pm

Boat builders use epoxy & fiberglass on thier joints. It dries clear. Your finish should keep it water proof on the sides but if you're woried you could glue the butt joints of the ply sheets & seal the wood strips with chaulk. Cover the completed structure with varnish or clear epoxy.
Spook - Ball Ground, Georgia
Spook
Teardrop Builder

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:49 pm

I planed on making groved goints and covering it in a protective coating such as varnish or epoxy. What works better? Does eather discolor over time?thanks
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby jay » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:24 am

before you spend a lot of your time working with OSB, cut a 6" square piece and soak it for a few minutes in water. after it dries, see what happens and then decide if it's the right material for the job...
jay
Donating Member

This is not local retail store but it might give you idea

Postby Rebel » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:46 am

http://www.boulterplywood.com/

They ship but its expensive
Rebel

Building a Tear for Retirement
Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tdthinker » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:13 am

I know that osb is more like bs but it is the only thing I could finde big enough. Thanks rebel, Even though it is expensive I am going all out on this tear with the best materials and methods and equipment around. Even though getting up the walls is exciting I cant wait to build my kitchen, I have alread gotten so many things on hold for it like a inlaid 3 burrner stove. Thanks again, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Chip » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:41 am

Ryan,, since you are gonna cover up the plywood/osb,,scarf a one or so foot piece onto the front and then cover with another,,glue and screw the whole thing together,,it will be strong if ya do it right,,,little sanding and ya got it made

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MikeM » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:58 am

tdthinker,

Try these two sites and they will give you inspiration on your project.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buildin ... trips.html

and

http://www.steve-frederick.com/index.html

Check these two sites and they will help with your decision.

Have you looked in the phone book under hardwoods or with your local lumber yard not one of the big boxes for your plywood? They can or should be able to get what ever you want.

Chip maybe have hit the nail on the head, you may need to splice a peice on to a 4x8 sheet.

On Steve Fredricks web site I think he shows you how to splice plywood together. It's not terribly difficult.

Good luck,

Mike
MikeM
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tdthinker » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:11 pm

I think I will build it all out of the big expensive 4x10 sheets to make it easier and leak proof. I only need two for the walls and I will buy 4x8 sheets for the roof localy so they will be cheap. Thanks for all the info, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques