AC Install Idea

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi Steve

Over here is UK, I have done alsorts of camping from tents to folding campers to caravans and motorhomes. Motorhomes are of the selfbuilt variety.

Army Camping in UK, Germany & Canada.

Passed an advanced science exam at 14 and then did day release from school to college to study engineering science, which I passed age 16

But really for credibilty, look at what I say, I usually back things up with examples or facts and info, but at the end of the day its always the readers decision about what info or opinion to use or ignore.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:28 pm

Ah...UK, well that explains a lot. :lol:

Really what I ment by "profile" is the little button at the bottom left of every post you make. Click on that and then fill in the info for everyone to see.

Never did doubt your word, but with no info in your profile, people wonder...kind of like you want to remain anonymous.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:56 pm

Hi Steve

I have just looked at your profile <<Texas>> is all your giving away ....

:)

BTW my screen name gives my name and location George From Telford, works OK over here, but I guess not so obvious over there !!

later all
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:39 pm

I have just looked at your profile <<Texas>> is all your giving away ...

George,

Yes, for ONE day I had deleted most of it, but even with just Texas, still more than yours. Well, at least we now know "over here" is England. By the way, do you know Andrew?

He can tell you how to install an A/C unit if you need some help. :D
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks for that positive feedback, George. I'm afraid we just didn't see any of your "can do" attitude in your other posts that you showed in this one.
:thumbsup:
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby eieio1 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:01 am

cracker39 wrote:I find it interesting that since EIEIO1 posted the initial message asking if the door mounted AC unit was practical, there are 3 pages of replies, none of which are from EIEIO1 (or are any the same person under a different name). Well, EIEIO1, based on all of the opinions of your idea, what do you think of the idea now? Will you persue it or not?

Since I am in the very early planning stages, I cannot say whether I'll pursue the idea or not. The idea came to me in the shower one night and I thought that I would throw it out to see what people thought. I had searched the previous posts on AC installs and didn't really see one that I liked. I do think there are some "issues" that would have to be resolved before the idea becomes workable.

Thanks to all who responded. The range of responses was very interesting.
eieio1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cracker39 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:51 am

You will usually find that there are many different ideas and opinions from the forum members here. That's what's so great about this site. If you think of some new idea, someone may have already done it, and if not, many will have their ideas on how to do it. I've thrown out ideas, and some I developed for my TTT plans and some I abandoned. I've made additions and changes to my plans based on comments and opinions which have helped me make up (or change) my mind. You received a lot of differing opinions to use in making your own decisions...good luck. And let us know how it turns out.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:56 pm

I found an old Kwickee step motor and gear assembly at work. Asked if I could have it, it was given to me and I took it. I was also asked "what are you going to do with it, you don't own an RV" Well that was my manager asking and he's a real Putz! As if things designed for specific things can ONLY be used for that one purpose and that one purpose only. If we all believed that we can shut this board down right now. After playing with some designs I decided to try to make this devise automatically lift my galley lid. I mentioned this at work and was told that in no way anyone could get this devise to do that and I was actully laughed at. Of course if a Putz laughs at you, you really can't take it serious. A few weeks later there it was working like a charm.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/len19070/ ... pg&.src=ph

Took the trailer into work showed everyone how well the lid worked and all the nay Sayers walked away with such a pompas attitude it was actually comical.

Thank God I don't listen to negative people. I really feel sorry for them. I usually spend less energy making something work, than they do bad mouthing a project.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:34 am

Hi Len all

Why this is causing such a stir I dont know.

Simple engineering principles show why this idea would be a waste of time, I have said all along it can be made to work, but the effort is not worth the end result and nobody, not one person as stepped up and said yes this is the answer to all our prayers, of all the problems I have put forward, as a single answer been given that will solve any or all of them?

I always think outside the box and know the kind of people you refer too, people who will dismiss an idea without thinking and yes its always great to complete an idea and have it work. But I also know thoughtful people who will give an opinion on why they think it will not work, they are not saying no just for the hell of it (and neither am I!!)

I think the answer to all of this is to ask

"Can anyone come up with a design for this problem, one that doesnt involve, lots of extra material, time consuming setting up and breaking camp"

The other question is what is the payoff if it could be done?
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby tahrndt » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:29 pm

From a "coolness" standpoint the concept has merit, from a practicle point of view...it might not be worth the effort when measured against the pay-off. How about reinforcing a window large enough to accept an A/C unit? Keep the A/C secured until you hit the camp site, then remove the window & screen and install the A/C. On cooler days/nights, you could just use the window for fresh air and leave the A/C at home.

Hey George,

GeorgeTelford wrote:Hi Steve

Over here is UK, I have done alsorts of camping from tents to folding campers to caravans and motorhomes. Motorhomes are of the selfbuilt variety.

Army Camping in UK, Germany & Canada.

I hope you didn't buy your "Caravan" from a Pikie, I spent some time with a couple of TA soldiers this summer. They taught me one thing...never trust a pikie!!! :lol:

Cheers.
Tim
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool!

Tim
tahrndt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GeorgeTelford » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi Tim

No I bought one private and given one caravan by relative. Your removable unit idea would solve most of the engineering problems.

George
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:40 pm

at Mystic, there was a tear that had the window removed and the a/c stuck in just while camping.... not a bad deal, you lose a door though... but the a/c can ride inside while traveling.... even if you're not sure you will need it, simple enough to haul..... could even punch a hole in the side, off the door, for mounting the a/c....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:42 pm

You know, last summer I modeled up a bunch of ac ideas, and posted them here. You think I could find them now??? Not a chance! If anyone remembers the thread, let me know...

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:13 pm

GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:15 pm

mikeschn wrote:You know, last summer I modeled up a bunch of ac ideas, and posted them here. You think I could find them now??? Not a chance! If anyone remembers the thread, let me know...

Thanks,

Mike...

Gta a case of CRS?? :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques