AC Install Idea

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:22 am

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Geron » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:35 am

arnereil wrote:We have no cabinets, we find large shelves suit us better....

Exactly my thoughts. No door opening into headroom. I'm planning shelving only for both cabin and hatch. My thought is that the more wood I put into the storage space the less storage space I have.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:57 am

Back to the air conditioner mounted in a door/panel in the door way, one of the obvious problems with the idea has not even been mentioned, and that is the problem it would present with ingress/egress in the night. Having to move the AC unit with the panel to get in or out is major IMHO. It's definately a "different" idea, and at first glance appealing, but I think in actual application, not worth the trouble. But, hey, if someone wants their air conditioner mounted in a door, I say go for it!

I once worked with a guy who said, "nothing is ever useless...worst case, it can be used for a bad example".
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:33 am

bledsoe3 wrote:Cracker39, This might look good on the Squidget.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CARRIER-AIR-CONDITIONER-13-5BTU-RV-BOAT-MOTORHOME_W0QQitemZ4578513317QQcategoryZ50070QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

First, no need to be so formal, because we're all friends here...you can just call me Cracker... 8)

That AC unit might look good on it, but the $79 for the internal mount looks much better on my bank account than the $384 it costs. Although I am considering moving up to a $120 5200 btu model. Not for the extra 200 btus, as the 5000 btu is overkill as it is for such a small space, but rather for the electronic thermostat setting by temperature for more accuracy in cooling. And, it has a remote control so I don't even have to sit up in bed to change the setting (getting lazy in my old age).
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby john » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:15 am

Was the original post talking about mounting he A/C in a door that was also to be used for entrance/exit or was the "door" to be smaller and just large enough for the A/C?

The original post was not clear on this, but I had assumed, until reading later posts, that the door would be little larger than the A/C unit itself.

john
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:24 pm

eieio, looks like the majority of the responders seem to think you can make it work, somehow. I'll not add any more ideas, me thinks they are falling on some deaf ears. I feel that doing things that are a bit different, is what makes small trailer and teardrop building so interesting and challanging.

If you feel that you can make it work, I say go for it. Don't let others sway your judgement or plans, just install it as you feel best. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing pics of the finished product and a rundown on how well it works.

Roly, the eternal iconoclast, because I like to break traditional concepts. (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but is always worth the try!)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:05 am

Hi Roly

This particular idea is really not worth the effort.

AC in door? if it costs lots of effort, much over-engineering, loads more weight, more hassle to set up and take down, one exit down, the only real advantage (internal space) can be achieved far more easily several other ways.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:27 am

On the other hand, there are some people, myself included, that will do something just to see if it can be done. Like climbing the mountain just because it's there. Maybe we're crazy, but it keeps us busy.
:crazy:

Like, yesterday, I saw a link with a folding miter saw stand with wheels. You fold it down and pull it where you want to work and set it up again. I didn't say "hey, I'll get one of those". I said (what I usually say), I can build that!!! And, as soon as I can get down to HD to pick up 4 lag bolts for the wheels and folding legs, I'll assembly what I built yesterday. It may not be as fancy as the one I could buy, but, it should work just as well, AND, I can say "I built it". Some of us just want to see if we can make our sometimes wacky ideas work. If we didn't, we might not be here building TDs and TTTs. (see my signature statement below)
:thumbsup:
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:01 am

Hi Dale

I am all for inovation, but this is a pointless exercise.

You building a " portable mitre saw" is possible, cheaper than buying, sense of satisfaction and it will work without over engineering and it will not create a ton of problems for no gain, the door idea is way to much trouble for no real gain.

If the door idea is done to a useable standard it will be an achievement for sure, it will also be a constant bugbear, setting up, putting away and the extra weight will always be there.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby john » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:16 am

I can't leave this thread on this note.

I've seen tears with roofs that raise, with galleys that fold out of the way to make room for the harley, with slide-out sides, one with a bed liner exterior, and themes that range from tiki to 'normal' [what ever that is] and back to crab. [Rope trim? Who would have thought that would have worked? I say, good job stepping outside the box].

Thinking with out restraint, and with creativity has led to all that we take for granted today. Flight, continantal drift, the button, 'Starry Night' at some point did not exist, were not possible, or were simply not even the subject of conjecture.

Perhaps you have already droped the idea. I hope not. There will always be issues to navigate and they can often lead to unexpected new thoughts as you work out the solutions. I know you've herad it said before: Just Do It ---------- The rest will fall in place.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:19 am

Hi John

Its great when people come up with new idea's, but if the idea is flawed or far to much effort for little or no gain?

Someone could decide to do an inward swinging door, to save hitting passers by, it could be done but would be arkward and the gains would not be worthy of the effort.

I think the idea of posting here was to get feedback good and bad, at the end of the day its surely possible, but the work involved, extra weight of all the strengthening needed and the hassle it would cause in day to day use.

It would be great if someone could come up with a solution to all the problems I have put forward, a flash of inspiration, at the moment the problems stand and no-one as put forward a workable solution (thats useable without hassle day to day)
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:53 am

George,

Is the gain worth the effort on any project? How do you measure each and compare? Everyone would measure differently, and have a different opinion. Just like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I once worked witn a man who would not even try do do most repair or beautification tasks at home that he could pay someone else to do because "it wasn't woth his effort." How did he decide? He based that on his salary rate while working. In other words, he made about $25 an hour at work at that time, so, if he could hire someone to perform a task for less than $25 an hour, that justified having it done, and not doing it himself. He said he was saving money. I thought that way of thinking flawed. My attitude was a dollar saved was a dollar earned and I did all tasks at home myself that I could do so as not to spend money. I didn't consider my time at home being at $25 an hour. See, it is all in the opinion of the "doer" if the gain is worth the effort.

I find it interesting that since EIEIO1 posted the initial message asking if the door mounted AC unit was practical, there are 3 pages of replies, none of which are from EIEIO1 (or are any the same person under a different name). Well, EIEIO1, based on all of the opinions of your idea, what do you think of the idea now? Will you persue it or not?
:thinking:
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:18 am

George...I think that somehow you have completely missed the "spirit " of this forum...we are not engineers trying to do the "perfect", we are a bunch of TD builders who think anything is possible...no one's ideas are dumb or impracticable on this board...all ideas are worthy of merit and thinking of fresh new ways of doing things are how we operate here. If you could come to a gathering and see the myriad ideas incorporated into the various trailers you might be able to catch the spirit a little better. It truly is not a matter of "too much hassle", or "to much work", or "not practicable" those things are up the individual. Instead of poo pooing somebodies ideas, give some ideas of your own as to how it might be done and what it may entail and just leave it at that and allow the individual to make up their own mind as to the practicability of their idea......none of us here need or want an overseer(excepting Ira...maybe)(that's a joke Ira)
madjack 8)

p.s. please take this post in the friendly manner it was meant
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:15 am

Hi Jack, Cracker

I dont mean to infer dumbness on anyone, the poster asked for feedback on an idea, some people are for and some against, hopefully I have only showed why I think its not worth pursuing and not that the idea was dumb, no idea or question is dumb in itself.

I have only put forth obstical's to try and save the poster from uneeded problems, if someone wants to fight on great.

If I put an idea forward I want people to tell me what they think is wrong with the idea, not let me plow ahead blind and ony when discussing the falure later have them say "well I thought that would be a problem, but didnt want to discourage you"

Ages back I wanted to use a full size normal mains fridge in a selfbuilt motorhome, so I posted the idea and was met with virtually universal, no it cant be done, but I worked through each problem until I had a system were a household mains fridge could be used for over a week with no hookup.

Now there are several motorhomes over here using normal household fridges.

There are many other Camping related electrics, systems and idea's were I have bucked the trend and succeeded, I am totally for new idea's and will offer practical support where-ever I can. I see putting forward the pitfalls as I see them, as help too and not just being negative.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:24 am

Now there are several motorhomes over here using normal household fridges.

George,

Just my opinion, but I think it would help your credibility a lot if you would fill your your profile and tell us where "over here" is along with a little bit about your self. ;)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques