Homemade windows

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Homemade windows

Postby Hillmann » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:38 am

Angib,
I had thought of something like that but with a single lever in the center but was thinking there may be an easier suggestion on how to make opening windows. At the moment at the moment I am going back and forth between wiley windows and windows like what you posted. Although I will have to make my decision by Saturday, that is when I plan to skin the trailer.
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:46 pm

I've not shown any screen - it has to be fitted on the inside which is why the stays go through slots in the wall, so that they don't interfere with the screen.

Sealing the stay could be done with plate on the stay - it only has to seal in the extended position as when closed the window seal stops the bugs.

I forgot to say that this window has only two positions - closed and fully open. It could be partly opened if more slots were cut in the stays, but then the stays would stick into the cabin - turn over in the night, knock the stay and the window claps shut!

I do think the single sheet of plastic is under-rated as a window material - don't bother with complex frames when the plastic is strong enough on its own. If the plastic is thick enough (3/8" maybe, 1/2" definitely) it can be drilled and tapped (by hand) to accept machine screws so you don't have nuts or screws on the outside.

The downside is that thick plastic ain't cheap and I think Grant's ready-made windows wouldn't cost much more.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GaryDierking » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Just finished my Wiley windows. Looks like a good solution.
http://teardropbygary.blogspot.com
GaryDierking
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 am

Really beautifully built teardrop. Congratulations!! I hope you get many years of joy from it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby PonyExpress » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm considering using fixed plexi or lexan mounted in the doors and getting ventilation from a second crank out vent mounted on the front of the trailer or two small vents mounted on the walls. I'm worried about leaks since most vents aren't designed to be mounted vertically, but maybe I could overcome that with a drip guard.
Making sawdust whenever possible
PonyExpress
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nhstt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Anyone made a porthole window that folds in 1/2 to open? :worship:
Need one for the Lady bug!
Karen and the brooks bunch.
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:05 am

nhstt wrote:Anyone made a porthole window that folds in 1/2 to open? :worship:
Need one for the Lady bug!
Karen and the brooks bunch.

perfect candidate for a wiley window, I think there is a manuf. in the EU, but not the US, either way you would spend a bunch of money for a pre made window, or create a ton of headaches trying to seal a round, split window.
anything is possible, how much effort and time do you want to put into it? the wiley is a proven unit and fairly easy to make any shape you want.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques