Baked Enamel Aluminum and other updates

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Baked Enamel Aluminum and other updates

Postby Rebel » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:10 pm

Have any of you bought aluminum (enamel coated or other wise) from J. Freeman in Massachusetts?

http://www.jfreeman.com/metal_sheeting.html

They have some good prices, but it would cost about $120 for shipping to Tennessee. Would any of you in this area be interested in combining an order to take advantage of no shipping as well as discounts on bulk ordering? I talked with them this afternoon, and was told if my order was around $700 or more, the shipping would be free - plus perhaps a discount.

I will probably order enough for two teardrops since I currently have the harbor freight trailer (arrived today), and my nephew is working on one similar to the comet. He will be getting the metal this week, and I have ordered the torsion axle for that project from South West Wheel to be delivered next week.

Again, if anyone might be interested in the J Freeman aluminum or steel sheets, let me hear from you.
Rebel

Building a Tear for Retirement
Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:14 pm

If you're in TN why not buy from SAF, they are right next door to you, and shipping can be free. They also have painted and anodized finished aluminum. Check it out before you ship halfway down the country, something that is right next door to you...

http://www.saf.com

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

I had checked their online pages

Postby Rebel » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:20 pm

Thanks Mike. I had checked their online pages but was wondering about the enamel coated - and found j. Freeman on line. You're right - their prices at SAF are great with free shipping. I need to talk with them via phone to get a better handle on the color options tho.
Rebel

Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

Aluminium

Postby Clancy Courtney » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:35 am

Rebel, You might want to try a sign supply company. They generally carry sheet Al in enameled colors. At least that's were I found mine.
Good luck,
Clancy
Clancy Courtney
Donating Member

Thanks for the tip!

Postby Rebel » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:37 pm

I had wanted to find 5 ' painted or enameled aluminum and that was how I found j freeman. I still need to talk with a live person at SAF tho. Their website has 60 inch mill aluminum but no painted at least on the site.

Thanks for the tip about the sign company! I'll give that a shot.
Rebel

Rebel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:46 pm

Oh, good luck. The largest painted alum SAF has is 4x8. :(

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby R Keller » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:55 pm

There's another option:

http://www.harborsales.net (thanks Clancy!) has white enamel painted aluminum sheet at 5x10 feet x .040" for $68.30. They are in Maryland but will ship. Shipping costs are pretty reasonable.

If you're out west, Montroy Supply Co. (sign supply company) has the same thing for about the same price. They'll deliver free to a lot of locations if you're reasonably close to one of their branches. http://www.montroysupply.com

Or call around to the big sign supply companies in your area/region. One of them is bound to stock it.

OK, now maybe someone can help me out. I can find anodized aluminum sheet in 4x10 feet x .032 or .040 all day long. But I can't find it in 5x10 (ideally at .032, but .040 would be OK). I know it's available, I just can't find a source. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Please?

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques