No roof vent!

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: No roof vent!

Postby Hamilton Felix » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Interesting thread, even though it’s old. I’m just stating out - currently modifying an old Jayco pop up frame, preparatory to building a foamie. We live in the great Pacific NorthWET, and are debating the roof vent issue. It seems wall vents, mounted as high as possible, would be less likely to leak. Come to think of it, I have some 12v muffin fans, salvaged from old processor driven equipment. Sounds like a thrifty solution, if they are quiet enough.
Life is too short not to be happy.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 pm

A Fantastic Fan roof vent seals up without any problems.
We leave it open slightly, and off, when it's raining, not a problem.
Ours when fully open and left on and set at a temperature that keeps the fan on or off, will automatically close when rain hits the rain sensor. :thumbsup:
Having a roof vent is a no brainer to us.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Hamilton Felix » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:25 am

Sounds good. Is the Fantastic Fan fairly quiet? Because of my tinnitus, I like a little bit of background “white noise,” but not much.

Just looking online, it appears RV/camper ventilation is mostly roof fans or passive wall vents. I did not see many wall vent fans.

We are trying to keep it pretty low budget, but adequate ventilation is pretty important.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:40 am

Hamilton Felix wrote:Sounds good. Is the Fantastic Fan fairly quiet? Because of my tinnitus, I like a little bit of background “white noise,” but not much.

Just looking online, it appears RV/camper ventilation is mostly roof fans or passive wall vents. I did not see many wall vent fans.

We are trying to keep it pretty low budget, but adequate ventilation is pretty important.

Being a Cabinetmaker I've had the same condition for about 40 years but maybe not as severe as yours.
I've learned to pretty much ignore the ringing but do notice it when I think about it or it's very quiet around me.
Maybe you could go visit a teardrop gathering and ask if you could hear someone's fan operate. Ours dosen't bother me but my preference is total silence when I sleep, sometimes wearing ear plugs.
When we don't have the vent slightly open, the side walls have some moisture on them close to our heads.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Philip » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:33 am

The fantastic fan most of the time your running it on low speed. The noise is very low. On medium you can hear it. I have the same hearing problem. The thing to keep in mind with these fans. If you do not provide the same amount of opening for air flow from a window. They will vibrate and make more noise when inlet air flow is restricted.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hamilton Felix » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:49 am

Wow, lots of people have tinnitus. I only realized in 2012 that mine is constant, though varying. I now have 45 years - I’m a Hydroelectric Operator a powerhouse on the Skagit River.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:57 am

I always have ear plugs in my pocket to protect my hearing be it a loud noise, lawn mower, vacuum, movie previews, or someone's screaming brat. :cry:
When I first went into Cabinetmaking they didn't offer ear or lung protection so the doctor said to go to a welding supply to get some ear plugs, now I buy 100 pair at a time.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby greygoos » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:52 pm

I have it also. have you guys seen this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgkPOGD6gwo?
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:03 pm

greygoos wrote:I have it also. have you guys seen this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgkPOGD6gwo?

Have you tried it?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hamilton Felix » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Yes. It is temporary, but it is amazingly quiet when you do it.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hamilton Felix » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:13 pm

On our original topic: I wouldn’t mind a bit of flow through ventilation while on the road, when temperatures are not extreme. But I don’t want flow through dust & dirt. This could be accomplished with some filter material, but I’m not going to lose sleep over it now.
Hamilton Felix
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:35 pm

I put a 1" louvered vent from Home Depot on each side of the galley and one behind a galley drawer to the cabin.
I cover the exterior with a clam shell vent.
Keeps us from suffocating if we neglect to open a window or roof vent and it helps with Bernoulli's Principle .
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby greygoos » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:38 am

tony.latham wrote:
greygoos wrote:I have it also. have you guys seen this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgkPOGD6gwo?

Have you tried it?

T
Yes I have tried it and it does work for me on a temporary basis. The first time I did it I thought it was so quiet I thought I had gone deaf.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Thomcat316 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:14 am

After suffering various roof leaks, I plugged the 14" hole in the roof and vented through the galley instead. It works well, though the fans are being replaced with something a little more....macho.

See "Five Year" and "Seven Year" updates on our build thread - http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4 ... 0#p1199701 - for details and changes, both complete and still on the wishlist.

ps - "change the tires" on the list got done, and the Nankang CX668 145R15 that we put on are very nice; needed very little balancing, and are round and true.
Build Journal at viewtopic.php?t=44293

And then it went a' roamin'...
Thomcat316
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Billinthedesert » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:28 am

My tinnitus has been awful for decades. Will try this.
Great info on vents, gang.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques