12V heaters

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Jonkayak » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:18 am

Madjack

Very true, K.I.S.S. and yes the wheel is hard to beat. If shore power was always an option then their would be no need for this subject. Thats why I've been mealing over this idea over at the drafting table and have srunk the whole thing down to a small self contained radiator heater with a fan to help move the air.

Jon
1st tear drop sold. Second TTT will be glassed and look like........weekender maybe???????
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:59 am

...if you need that much heat here is another option
madjack 8)

p.s. that site has alotta options for heat, cooking, hot water
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:43 am

madjack wrote:...if you need that much heat here is another option
madjack 8)

Is that a vented heater?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby WarPony » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:11 am

Yeah, I have a 110V ceramic heater/fan that works really good and wondered about the 12V heaters. I've settled on the 12V electric blanket and will use it under us while we sleep. It might get too hot so some experimenting could come into play. Also, I have decided to can the tongue box and use the area there for a battery box so I can wire my trailer to use cigar lighter sockets. A small fan for the summer time and the blanket for fall and spring...... BAM, I'm set. I don't go off road at all but do camp in places without shore power. Trying to be self sufficient as much as possible. Now I have to decide what battery to buy. I looked in the electrical forum at batteries and I really don't know now!!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:17 am

mikeschn wrote:
madjack 8)

Is that a vented heater?

Mike...

...no Mike it isn't, that is what your roof vent is for. isn't it ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby shil » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:18 pm

Once again I fail to see the need. This past weekend, Canadian Thanksgiving, is traditionally our 'last outing' of the year. It was cold, below freezing, doggie's water dish froze over. We were warm and toasty inside our uninsulated, unheated trailer. A big thick down duvet and a bottle of Scotch is all you need to keep warm through the night.

The problem with camping in cold weather is that it's too cold outside the trailer. What do you do when it's time to get out of bed? No space heater's going to help you there.
shil
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:11 pm

madjack wrote:
mikeschn wrote:
madjack 8)

Is that a vented heater?

Mike...

...no Mike it isn't, that is what your roof vent is for. isn't it ;)
madjack 8)

It seems kinda silly to heat your teardrop, and then suck all the heat out the top via the roof vent.

Plus I don't know, maybe it's something Kevin said, but I'm more comfortable knowing that I'm not filling up the cabin with carbon monoxide, and that all I have to do is make sure I crack a window to keep my oxygen level up.

If I were doing it on the cheap I would probably consider a mattress warmer. If I were doing it cost is no object, I would probably add the forced air furnace from the site you shared with us yesterday... Ducktek wasn't it?

I have one of the 12000 btu furnaces in the Lil Diner. I just have to form some sheet metal and get some propane running. Now that the cooler weather is here, it's urging me to get going on that! Of course, I'll keep you in photos! 8)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:51 pm

...for me personally, I think the 800btu coleman catalytic to warm up before bed and a 12v (or even 120) heating pad/blanket would be just fine
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jonkayak » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:52 pm

Shil

I can agree with you. I go tent camping all the time. Once woke to 18" on the ground and was warm and toasty in the tent. As far as my heater needs are concerned I don't need one. But on our honeymoon my wife took a fleece jacket with us to Grand Caymen. Me I melt in the Carribian in July but my wife will freeze to death if it drops below 70. So you can only imagian what will happen if it starts to snow when we're camping, Holiday Inn here she comes. So thats my reason for a heater.

Powderburn

I got the idea from a buddy of mine who has a big metal building shop with one in the floor. They are very rare here in the south, but after working in his shop in the dead of winter it is something I will have in my next shop. As far as the heater for the camper goes I was rethinking the idea and more or less thinking of a small water raidator w/ a fan just like you mentioned. As far as the Brand or where to buy one I will probly make one and it will be thermostaicly controled. I'm thinking the thermstat might work the pump rather then the flame but I might have to experament with that a bit. You could also use a small propane H2O heater tank like they sell for campers. It would then thermastaticly control the flame (I think). Still many thing to think through and bugs to be worked out but "it might work".

Jon
1st tear drop sold. Second TTT will be glassed and look like........weekender maybe???????
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:04 pm

various RV H2O heaters

...jon if you went with a RV type, you could turn the temp up for your reg hot water needs and turn it down at night for interior heating.
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jonkayak » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:08 pm

That would deffently be worth giving more though too. Thanks Madjack

Jon
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:15 pm

...Jon if you've been to the site you will see that the 3gal listed is now a 4 gal and they have a 6 gal that is both gas and 120electric or both at the same time....now thats inteeeeeresting
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby WarPony » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:30 pm

Powderburn, that stove was an idea I had but there was too much work involved so that is why I asked the 12V question. Man, if you hunt in temps like you do, you'll need something!!

Alright............ you guys that are givin' my post a beating, go easy on me. I'm a cold sleeper and would like a small heat source for the chilly nights. I still don't know how you guys that sleep "toasty" in an uninsulated tear do it but that's the way it goes.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:27 pm

Hey all-

How about a SERIOUS sleeping bag???

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:00 pm

Nope, Coop. I have a serious sleeping bag. I built this thing so I could get away from sleeping bags. I'm not above using bags or sleeping in tents because that is what I have used most of my life.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques