12V heaters

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Jonkayak » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:57 pm

Goldcoop
I have several serious sleeping bags that work well. I have a North Face Mummy bag rated for -20 and I melt in it unless its below freezing (I bought it for a climbing trip out west) and I have several other 20 degree bags that are perfect for me in most winter outing. But it's a camper and I'm looking for cumfort. Also being a newly married young couple ...... well the sleeping bags just don't work.

I like the latern idea very simple. I have a candel lantern that I us in the tent all the time and it makes a huge differnce in the temp.

As far as turning the radiant floor or water radiator into a a/c unit it would work but not here in the southeast. If the air is not dried then the humidity will kill you.
1st tear drop sold. Second TTT will be glassed and look like........weekender maybe???????
Jonkayak
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:14 am

For those of you who are thinking about mounting a forced air furnace across the width of the teardrop, I've got to tell you, it works great. I finally hooked mine up yesterday, and built a 90* elbow to direct heat into the cabin.

Yep, forced air is the only way to go. ;)
Check out the other thread here...
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 2488#22488

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby critter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:53 pm

hey all,
i think some of you guys are missing the boat.the mr heater is it to me.i used it in the san juan wilderness in col, on a hunting trip for a month,camped a 10.000 feet with snow and relly cold temps.we were in a military single pole tent about 14 ft diameter.i think its the officers model but we would lite the heater and get it warm and cut it off and go to sleep.then in the morning we would reach over and lite the heater again before getting out of sleeping bags.it has worked gerat for us.and its safe and can be hooked to a 20lb cyl to last a long time and at 79 bucks its hard to beat!just my opinon!
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:04 pm

Sorry, Critter. I figured that you were running it all night long.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby critter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:13 pm

hey all,
i have a buddy that run his mr heater in his pop up all nite and he has not had any prob.i just dont think you would have to with insulation but we will see.whuddya think?
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

nature's heat

Postby Finntec » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:46 pm

After serious thought and concideration I have come to two possible solutions. Neither of them require AC/DC or flame. Actulally flame is highly discurraged! Have you thought of eating some chili and beans before bed? :oops:

A nice hat works when it goes below freezing up here. I havent found anything that works when it falls below -20. I think it is a little too cold to camp then. I have put hand warmers in my face mask when I am still hunting in temps below -10. I wonder if anyone knows how many btus they put out? How many of them would be needed to heat a TD? :thinking: and kidding.
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:54 pm

Camping when it's below freezing? You guys are nuts! :R

Did it one time in a tent, it wasn't too bad but it was a little difficult to breathe that coooold air.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby critter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:02 pm

new idea
how bout a giant handwarmer :twisted: :thinking: the size of a sleeping bag
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:21 pm

mikeschn wrote:For those of you who are thinking about mounting a forced air furnace across the width of the teardrop, I've got to tell you, it works great. I finally hooked mine up yesterday, and built a 90* elbow to direct heat into the cabin.

400 bucks for that unit??? Wow!!!

I have to be totally retarded to even be READING this thread from South Florida, but what the heck. Knowledge is power. Do they sell more affordable units like this?

I checked out your referenced thread, couldn't really study it because I'm on dial-up which sucks... and I can't afford cable modem because I'm spending all of my money on the TD, but...

If you're connected to shore power, are there ANY dangers to a small household space heater? No way I'm going to overspend THIS build detail.

I just installed my marine shore power receptacle--$50 plus. My 120V, 3 circuit panel was another $100. And the shore power ADAPTER--just this stupid little plug which I haven't bought yet to make the whole thing work--is like ANOTHER $50.

Do you know how many oriental massages I could have gotten for that money?
Last edited by Ira on Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby critter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:23 pm

yup.
fire
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:06 pm

Ira, I agree with Powderburn. Get a ceramic heater from MallWart, HomeDepot, Lowes.......... etc, etc. Alot of them have a thermostat. My Grandpa gave me a 1500W heater/fan and it works great in my TTT!!

Now, in saying that, I haven't used it in "real" camping but just in my garage. Here in Kansas, the State campgrounds with shore power shut down in the middle of October and open up in April. You probably won't need a heater unless you get up North (Tallahassee)....... but the AC will need to be in top notch condition :lol: !!

Just a poke at cha' bro!!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:02 pm

Thanks, guys--is milkhouse the brand, or the type?

I'm only doing 120V, used with a generator if no shore power is available.

The buffalo hunting STINKS in south Florida, so I won't be off the grid too often.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby madjack » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:53 am

...and that is a typical milkhouse heater................................................... 8)

here is a page of 'em
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:11 am

Yup, that's what I've used in my office here in New England for the past 5 years..... has thermostat, and I bought it because of the name, "Milkhouse heater"...... my grandfather was a dairy farmer in VT and the name just grabbed me. The office is small 300 sq. ft, and is only heated when in use.... probably not the most efficient way to heat it, but it works.....

In the tear, I use a quartz box heater from walmart. I know I'm a wus, but I don't camp anywhere with temps below 60 or above 80 without shore power. I was in upstate new york last year (Lake George), temp was in the 80's, humidity was higher... no shore power. After one very crappy night's sleep with no power for a/c, we went home.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques