Treated Lumber?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Joseph » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:07 pm

R Keller wrote:Joseph, I'm going to have to intervene here and beg you to reconsider! My personal philosophy is to, as much as I can, avoid putting toxic chemicals into my system.

I appreciate your concern, Rik but it's way to late to prevent that - I grew up in SoCal and breathed LA air from 50s through the 70s! :laughing8: If that didn't kill me, a little arsenic isn't going to be a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions. The wood already has a waterproof deck sealant on it as well, though I plan to re-seal it using marine spar varnish like I used on the teardrop.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby shil » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:13 pm

"This stuff's really bad for you health."

"No kidding. Got another smoke?"
shil
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:49 pm

shil wrote:"Got another smoke?"

I didn't even go there - I'm also a pipe and cigar smoker. :roll:

I note Rik's comment that the arsenic in treated wood is especially toxic with children. I KNEW there was a good reason for having another deck built besides having less lawn to mow! :laughing8:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby jay » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:49 am

just a pinch between gum and cheek....
jay
Donating Member

Postby FrankieD » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:22 am

WoW Rik may have save the world with that last post. In fact I have a hazmat team outside disposing of the terrible pressure treated wood filled deck now. All in the white suits with hoods, big plastic tent to keep it contained. While they do that, I am having my kids paint poster boards with a sign saying “Save The Earth NO MORE PRESSURE TREATED WOOD” We will be organizing a protest outside LOWE’S and Home Depot this weekend. :flower:
Just kidding, the old deck went out last year and replace with a mostly Man Made Carbon Fiber Wood Look-a-Like. Looks great and no morel Thompson’s Water Seal and Carpenter Ant Haven.
In support of Rik, I did watch a 48hr special on the exact topic of treated wood and its dangers to humans (mostly small children). If I remember correct, I was stationed in Korea and pulling a 24hr duty and was forced to watch one of the two AFN channels. If it was on at 3am , kept me awake and interested while leaving the three year lasting impression of how bad that stuff is, then they made a believer out of me.
My .02 cents worth.
And now when I’m looking for my teardrop I’ll have to ask “Is that pressure treated wood in there?” and when they say “Yes it is” I’ll be running for the woods.
Joseph may have survived the LA air but hopefully his little Teardrop will last and get passed along to some grateful family one day so they too, will know the joy of camping and spending time in a little home away from home.
Not to say scrap it and start over, just make sure you pass along this knowledge when and if you pass along you handy work, After all, would you let your grandchildren use the thing knowing what you now know?
Again, my two cents worth nothing more. I make no judgment on anyone; I’m a terrible judge of caricature and to prove that I would like to introduce my ex-wives. #1 :angryfire: and #2 :blob6:
FrankieD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby R Keller » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:33 pm

FrankieD wrote:While they do that, I am having my kids paint poster boards with a sign saying “Save The Earth NO MORE PRESSURE TREATED WOOD” We will be organizing a protest outside LOWE’S and Home Depot this weekend.

Frankie: too late! The stuff is already banned.

CCA pressure treated wood products were "phased out" in a 2 year process that ended on January 1, 2004 based on a voluntary agreement between the industry and the EPA. CCA pressure treated wood products cannot be used after December 31, 2003 in any decks, picnic tables, landscaping timbers, gazebos, residential fencing, patios, walkways/boardwalks, and play structures for consumer use. Of course, existing stocks of CCA treated wood will continue to be sold until gone.

See also this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... mber_x.htm

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques