Fenders

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Fenders

Postby Jimbo » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:29 pm

I am looking for a fairly low cost round fender for the TD rather than use the box ones that came with the HF trailer. I ran across these: http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4434&categoryID=225 and wanted to see if anyone had any experience using these type fenders. The only thing that worries me is that they are plastic.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Have seen them used

Postby Chuck Craven » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:04 pm

I have seen them used on utility trailers and after the first cold day they are broken! If that helps.

CC Snoozer
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby MikeM » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:00 pm

Jimbo,

A couple of ideas for you.

Check in you area for and industrial fiberglass manufacturer. They usually have pieces cut off of fiberglass piping. I found a 12 inch wide by 30 inch diameter pipe for around $10. Then just cut it to fit a utility trailer I built. the material was 1/2" thick, I can jump on it and they don't even budge. They are literally bullet proof.

Next, check with a local auto parts or truck shop that deal in trailer supplies. They have all kinds of trailer fenders available to them. I own a parts store and they would cost around $30 each for steel fenders.

The other option I'm considering. Because I'm going to do a "woody". Is to laminate 1/4" plywood and then fiberglass them inside and out. 1/4 inch material will make the radius bend you need to clear the tire. But, it's a lot more labor intensive.

Hope this helps,

Mike
MikeM
Teardrop Inspector

Fenders

Postby jlrelp » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:22 pm

Hi Jimbo

It is John.. How close to you live from El Paso TX. I found a place with steel fenders for $10.00... at a trailer place in town. I am going to used them on my Cubby...

Have a good day
John
jlrelp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jimbo » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:57 pm

Actually, I have decided to go with this one: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... ctId=13475 Price looks good and looks like it'll hold up better than the ones I originally posted.
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques