Trailer tire sizes, hubs, and axles?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Trailer tire sizes, hubs, and axles?

Postby The R/C Man » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:44 pm

My tear's frame is just a Fredmeyer 4x8 that came with those tiny 8" wheels and tires. I know that 12" wheel tire combo is much better to reduce heat in the bearings towing at highway speeds etc. With that said I was wondering if it would be worth my while to get 13" tires. If I go that route, can I just swap out the hubs on my current axles or will I need to swap the entire axle? Or are the 12" fine?
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Re: Trailer tire sizes, hubs, and axles?

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:46 am

I put 13 inch tires and rims on my 5x8 Northern Tool Trailer without any modifications. I'm not sure if they will work on your setup.

Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby les45 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:17 am

The pictures I have seen of the Fred Meyer 4X8 trailer look very similar to the HF 4X8 trailers. Moving up to larger tires is a definite plus for many reasons. Many people are happy with the 12" tires, but, like Tim, I also decided to move up to 13". There are a lot of recent threads in the Trailer and Chassis section on this subject if you want to research it more. If you decide to move up, you will need to determine the size of your spindle and buy a hub that will fit it with a 5 lug - 4.5" bolt circle. It looks like 12" tires will be an easy fit although you may have to modify your fender. If you want to go to 13" or larger, you will need to measure the tire width and determine how wide you can go and still have a little room to keep your tire from rubbing the frame. I decided to keep 1" of clearance in that area and was able to go to a 175-70R13 on my Northern Tool 5X8. There are also a lot of varying opinions about using trailer wheels with zero offset versus car wheels or adapters which will add positive offset to your tires. I tend to be conservative so I decided to stay with zero offset trailer wheels to keep a symmetrical loading on my bearings. You will need to make a decision on this issue also before you measure your tire to frame distance.
les45
500 Club

Postby les45 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 am

One thing I forgot to mention: if you decide to change hubs, measure the length of the hub to make sure it is close to the same length as your old hub. The hub length is not usually given on the packaging. This is in addition to checking the bearing and seal sizes. I would guess that your hub uses 1" bearings on both sides with 1 1/4" seals. I bought a spare hub and it turned out to be just a little bit shorter than the hub on my trailer. I was able to shim the difference with an extra washer under the castle nut. Without the extra washer, the castle nut would not tighten properly.
As you can see, the whole issue of changing tires and hubs is kind of complicated with lots of things to consider so do your research before you buy anything.
les45
500 Club

Postby The R/C Man » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:25 pm

Tim, the teardrop is very nice! If I didn't already have the 4x8 trailer for towing my go-kart when I started mine I surely would have purchased a 5x8... Also the 13" tires seem right at home on it..

Les45, yeah trying to find a hub that matched my spindle size that has 5 lugs is what I was concerned about. I guess I'll have to pull off a hub this weekend and get out the micrometer so I know for sure. If I can't find anything I'll go with the 12". But I think the 13's will be better if I can do it without having to swap an axle...
Greg

Over time science has shown that the simplest answers are usually the correct ones.......
The R/C Man
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 pm

TPMcGinty wrote:Image

Forgive me for going OT, but I am curious about what the item is that is mounted to the side of your tear. Looks like an umbrella holder, or perhaps a big bottle rocket launcher?

BTW, nice tear! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am

KCStudly wrote:Forgive me for going OT, but I am curious about what the item is that is mounted to the side of your tear. Looks like an umbrella holder, or perhaps a big bottle rocket launcher?

BTW, nice tear! :thumbsup:

That's funny! When people ask me I tell them it's a rocket launcher! :lol: Here is a link to what it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-HA0130-Hideaway-Travel-Antenna/dp/B0009JQR54
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks. Now back to the regularly scheduled feature.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MrTom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 pm

TPMcGinty wrote:I put 13 inch tires and rims on my 5x8 Northern Tool Trailer without any modifications. I'm not sure if they will work on your setup.

Hours and hours of searching and reading... success! There must be a million threads on NT trailers and pros and cons about upgrading the wheels. My eyes are crossed from weeding out non relevant threads. You have what I have been looking for! A Northern Tool trailer with 13 inch wheels.

I am assuming the 12s have zero offset, and I have found some wheels I think would work and that I like, but I am reading conflicting posts about what size and type tires to use. I have read that I should use ST tires. Then I read that I should dump ST because they bounce too much and to get car tires. I've invested the last five hours searching and I am no closer to understanding much less reaching a decision.

Do you mind if I ask what are the specs on the wheels and tires? Wheel width and offset? Radials or bias? And are you happy with them? Would you care to say where you purchased?

I'm so excited that I actually found a recent, relevant thread!

Tom
MrTom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:00 am

This brings up the need for trailer brakes. I am one of those who has had two tears that were very similar. #1 with out #2 with brakes

I would never want a trailer with out brakes again and the cost of replacing an axle, which can be custom made by Dexter or Flexride is some place in the three hundred dollar area is expensive. However this means tires and wheel size is your choice and you get to stop.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 am

MrTom wrote:Hours and hours of searching and reading... success! There must be a million threads on NT trailers and pros and cons about upgrading the wheels. My eyes are crossed from weeding out non relevant threads. You have what I have been looking for! A Northern Tool trailer with 13 inch wheels.

I am assuming the 12s have zero offset, and I have found some wheels I think would work and that I like, but I am reading conflicting posts about what size and type tires to use. I have read that I should use ST tires. Then I read that I should dump ST because they bounce too much and to get car tires. I've invested the last five hours searching and I am no closer to understanding much less reaching a decision.

Do you mind if I ask what are the specs on the wheels and tires? Wheel width and offset? Radials or bias? And are you happy with them? Would you care to say where you purchased?

I'm so excited that I actually found a recent, relevant thread!

Tom

Tom,

I sent you a link to the rims I purchased and also the tire size I put on via PM. If you have any more questions, let me know.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Tim - I have same question and a NT 5x8 as well. Any chance you could share info one more time? Thanks!
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby Tommy2tone_1999 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Tim Please post the link or send me a message.
:worship:
Make time for fitness and it'll make time for you.
http://TommyDoran.com
http://tommydoran.com/favor
Interview: http://goo.gl/Non1oR
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58395
Come find me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran
Tommy2tone_1999
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques