A Trailer to Haul Livestock - Alpacas

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

A Trailer to Haul Livestock - Alpacas

Postby NBMike » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:37 am

After much searching the web, I found the concept of teardrops last week, and have found this forum exceptionally informative.

My question relates to building a trailer to transport alpacas. We have to transport these guys on occasion, for breeding purposes etc. Last time, I moved a female with her young baby in the back of my Mazda B2200 shortbox. I built a 16 inch spacer between the truck box, and the truck cap, giving about 54" in height. When bringing them back, I had two females onboard , with both their babes - maybe 360lbs total . (Typical weight for an alpaca is 150 lbs. - roughly the size of a deer.) The back of the truck works, but I would like a better approach. (You get the odd strange look when going down the highway and folks see these long necked animals looking out at them.)

Horse trailers are too big - both for my truck - 1,000lbs w/o brakes, 2,000 w brakes. Besides, the trailers are very high for an alp.

I was thinking of building a tiny trailer to haul these guys, something around 8 ft long by 5 ft high. Width can be 4 or 5 ft. There is a flat trailer made by snowbear.com - a M7000 model, available at Walmart. This is 355 lbs with floor. If I managed to keep the rest around 300lbs, then I could haul two alpacas, or perhaps three in a pinch.

The alternative is a 3,500 lb axle with electric brakes at Princess Auto - currently $369 on sale complete. That would let me build a little heavier, and perhaps haul even 4 animals. As said in this forum, I could remove a spring leaf to reflect my relatively low weight. In looking at surge brakes, I would be too light, and of course would likely have to get an auto axle that could be reasonably mounted - again, good stuff on this forum.

In either case, I would have to somehow segment the inside once these guys are onboard, to keep them from moving the centre of gravity. (Alpacas tend to cush - sit while moving, so will be close to the floor.)

I was thinking of a ramp - possibly removable - in front of the door - to get them in and out. Since I am not needing any electrical equipment, or don't need kitchen facilities, I would be building fairly minimalist. Off the designs I have seen, the one by, I believe DanL, is something like what I am considering, since it is higher, but not too long.

Perhaps you folks could offer your thoughts on my unusual requirements?

Thanks.

Mike U.
NBMike
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:17 am

Mike,

I raise llamas. I decided a long time ago not to haul them in a two-wheeled trailer. Their lives are too precious to me. (used to be financially precious, now just precious) Blow a tire and you have time to stop without incident with a 4-wheeled trailer. I've seen two wheeled trailers weaving all over the road when a tire blows. Think of those poor little alpacas being tossed from side to side. Talk about a trailer being out of balance!!!!! It should be pretty easy to build a small trailer for them. But have you ever traveled in the back of a livestock trailer? I have, and it's hell to ride in. An almost empty trailer beats you/them to death. If I were transporting them, I'd build a dual torsion axel trailer. Build it any width, length, or height you like. As you mentioned, you certainly don't have to build as high as most trailers because they are such short animals. Personally I'd recommend electric brakes. Surge brakes aren't nearly as smooth. Surprisingly, when they cush, they lower the center of gravity much theier arrangement doesn't really affect the balance of the trailer..........or so I've found. I've carried as many as 15 llamas at once and haven't had a problem. Good luck on your build.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:43 am

We too have llamas (as well as goats, donkeys, pyrs, geese, rabbits, and chickens) the llamas are a bit heavier than alps but the goats are about the same weight. If we are only moving a few goats the back of the truck is where they ride. More than four and they are in the stock trailer. I have to agree with Chris a tandem axel is you safest and smoothest bet. You can still make it look like a tear drop. I think there is an AG teacher on this site that is building tears for show goat transport. good luck
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby slick149 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:19 am

TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote:We too have llamas (as well as goats, donkeys, pyrs, geese, rabbits, and chickens)

Okay, not to sound like I don't know, but, what is a pyrs? Whatcha do with 'um?

Slick
If I kood spel, I wood be dangerus.
slick149
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:23 am

slick149 wrote:
TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote:We too have llamas (as well as goats, donkeys, pyrs, geese, rabbits, and chickens)

Slick

...I usually cook or keep warm with my pyrs :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:53 am

slick149 wrote:

Slick

That would be Great Pyrenees dog. We raise goats about 300 of them and we use the Dogs, llamas, donkeys and geese as guard animals. It works very well we have not lost a goat in 8 years to predators. I do think the chupacabra visited us on Monday but there is nothing you can do about that. Here is a picture of one the white one he was about 135 lbs.

madjack Oh they will keep you plenty warm. I dunno about cookin though. :lol: :lol:

Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby slick149 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:13 am

That's what I thought. It just didn't really fit in w/ the other animals listed.

On politics and religion: I find both discussions quite good. I like both. BUT...buth sides need to have an open mind, realize that they will not change the other person's belief / opinion, and agree to disagree if it comes to that.

Most forums I go to do their darndest to prevent their discussion at all because too many people get too upset to continue the discussion in a rational manner.

So far here, it seems to be going well. :thumbsup: :applause:

Slick
slick149
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:17 am

slick, my ol' daddy always said "never discuss sex, religion or politics in polite company 'casuse everybodies is different"...we do our best too adhere to that policy here
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby slick149 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:23 am

madjack wrote:'casuse everybodies is different

I agree 100-whole-hearted-percent! :thumbsup:

Now.....where's my sandwich?

Slick
slick149
Teardrop Builder

Postby slick149 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:30 am

On a side note.....mand this forum is fast!

Most forums I hit takes hours, if not days to get responses to posts. This is almost like a chat room!

I think I will like this place very much! Especially when I start on MY TD!

Slick
slick149
Teardrop Builder

Postby mwatters » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:41 pm

madjack wrote:slick, my ol' daddy always said "never discuss sex, religion or politics in polite company 'casuse everybodies is different"...we do our best too adhere to that policy here
madjack 8)

I'd like to add a STRONG second to that motion! I'm one of the moderators of a group on Yahoo that has had a couple of recent eruptions on two of these three. Hmmm Maybe I should head back over there and post something about sex so we can go for the trifecta. :?

mkw
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:28 pm

I can understand arguments about religion and politics. But sex? What is there to argue about THAT?

That once a month isn't enough for the average married guy? Or that it's wrong to catch the end of that movie while your wife is feeling amorous?

Gee, I'm almost blushing.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Boodro » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:48 pm

Hey Ira , I think ya missed part of Madjacks message. The part about " polite company" . If your blushing about your own post , just think about some sweet young ladies out there working on thier Teardrops. A little courtesy goes a long way . ;) :) Be cool! 8)
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:50 pm

hey y'all, there's a guy in Canadia that is wondering what happenned to his thread about an alpaca trailer(I know, I know my part in this hi-jack) :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IraRat » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:19 pm

Okay--what is an Alpaca, and what do they do or where do they do it that requires towing?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques