anyone using this pocket hole jig?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

anyone using this pocket hole jig?

Postby surveytech » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 pm

anyone using this pockethole jig from harbor freight?

wondering how well it works.
Its 6.99......the kreg mini jig is about 20.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:55 pm

I've got the Kreg myself, my question is, does that come with anything else, ie, bit, clamp, stop collar. And how do you clamp that? It doesn't look too user friendly. If you have to buy the bit and such you won't be saving much I don't think. I could be wrong but I don't see anything else in the pic.
Kinda nice that it's adjustable but I'd have to see one before buying it I think.
But for $7 what the hey, pick one up and let us know how it works. Just my .02 worth.

Oh yeah, the mini jig is a single I believe, the one comperable to that is closer to $50.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:03 pm

I bought a jig like that when I was working on the weekender. I broke the bit that came with it the first day. I never replaced the bit.

What I did notice is that it tended to pull on the joint a little bit, pulling the surfaces out of line.

If I were to try again, I think I would use a combination of biscuits and poket hole joints. But for what I do, biscuits is all I need!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Boodro » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:51 pm

Mike , a little gravy with them biscuits??? :twisted: :twisted: Cooked in a DO !! :lol: :lol:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TomS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:32 pm

I've had very good experience with the Kreg Jigs. The Mrs. gave me the deluxe set for Christmas. It's also gotten me out of a few jams when working in tight spaces.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby surveytech » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:16 pm

I think what you see is what you get.
drill bit is extra.

I cant figure out how it works.
the kreg looks easy but this has a lot more moving parts.

just curious.

thanks.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:22 pm

Excuse my ignorance over here in the Land of OZ, but what the heck does a pocket hole jig do. I do not need any more holes in my pockets :lol:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:20 pm

if you want to join 2 boards edge to edge (say 2, 1xwhatevers) or end to end (got that) A pocket jig is a jig with a special drill bit that allows you to make a "pocket" on/in the backside of one of those boards to allow you screw them together using a special pocket hole screw in an almost straight line...clear as mud now...good. It is used most commonly in joining rails and stiles together while making cabinets
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:32 pm

I have a slideshow on my web site that shows how pocket screws work.

[/url]
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:52 am

I have that exact jig. I found that if you don't clamp it right (not on the set screw) it works just great. Just a side note, I only use the 90 degree bit.

For those that will ask (or are only lurking), these type of jigs can use two types of bits; 90 degree, and counter sunk.

The 90 degree bit will leave a flat bottom to your pocket.

The counter sunk bit works just like counter sinking a screw on the surface of anything. It will leave a counter sunk, or pointed bottom in your pocket.

I also use a end clamp (a clamp that holds two pieces of wood at 90 degrees to each other, like a T) to help hold the whole mess steady.

And speaking of pockets, I like my Steelex jig because it didn't leave a big hole in my pocket.

Postby PaulC » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:22 am

Thanks Madjack and TomS. I used dowels and a Heavy duty glue. No wonder it took forever waiting for everything to dry. This system looks much quicker, easier and stronger.
Cheers PaulC :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques