5x9 Cubby $250 bounty

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

5x9 Cubby $250 bounty

Postby kuffelcreek » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:21 pm

OK, I'm getting plastered with requests from...um..."less than petite" clients for a 5x9 Cubby. Because of the ongoing epic Granny Flat project, it may be a while until I can tinker with this myself, and so I'm posting a $250 bounty for the best design utilizing the 5x8 bolt-together chassis from redtrailers.com

Bonus consideration will be given to those actually have built it and have taken nice photos, but well-drawn plans are also valuable. We will publish these as an alteration option on the Cubby, but may do another whole trailer based on it in the future (far future, as I've built up three years of favors I have to return).

Please have your submissions by Jan. 1st, 2006.

Kevin Hauser
Kuffel Creek Press
kuffelcreek
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toypusher » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:27 pm

Kevin,

I have reworked the Cubby profile to be 5x9, but I plan on building the trailer and not using a premade. I won't get to work on it until after the 1st of the year, so no pics. Not many changes, mostly just made it a foot longer and rearranged the cabinetry sizes. I guess you could put it on a 5x8 trailer with some mods.

EDIT: Changed the door shape and size. Plan on using doors that look like the ones on the Lil Diner.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:33 pm

...Tom, Tom S. oh Tooommmmmm...here is a chance to recoup some bucks :thumbsup:...Kevin, unless my less than stellar memory fails me(very possible) I think Tom S. on this board has or is doing EXACTLY what you are asking for...others have possibly done so also
madjack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:36 pm

madjack wrote:...Tom, Tom S. oh Tooommmmmm...here is a chance to recoup some bucks :thumbsup:...Kevin, unless my less than stellar memory fails me(very possible) I think Tom S. on this board has or is doing EXACTLY what you are asking for...others have possibly done so also
madjack

I just finished building a 5 x 8 Cubby on a 5 x 8 Red Trailer. I don't have detailed drawings. But, I do have a web site that I lavishly illustrated with many detailed photos. I plan to add more progress photos to my site this weekend.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JLaman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:20 pm

I have built 96% of a "tin-top" by Stephen Guthrie http://www.tintop-teardrop.com/ but modified it in numerous ways, the most significant of which is putting it on a Redtrailer 5x8 chassis. Other modifications came from daily reading this forum and many helpful suggestions from other members. I didn't take any pictures (sorry guys - no time due to push to complete in less than 8 weeks.) There were really no significant problems in using the Redtrailer.com trailer and adding the 12" width. The main problems I had were not unique to the width or the trailer, but that is another story. All I have left to do (other than minor details here and there) is the doors and skinning the hatch. That should be done this weekend.

Anyway, any input I can offer, let me know. I will watch this thread with interest!

Jeff L.
JLaman
Teardrop Builder

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:27 am

toypusher wrote:Kevin,

I have reworked the Cubby profile to be 5x9, but I plan on building the trailer and not using a premade. I won't get to work on it until after the 1st of the year, so no pics. Not many changes, mostly just made it a foot longer and rearranged the cabinetry sizes. I guess you could put it on a 5x8 trailer with some mods.

EDIT: Changed the door shape and size. Plan on using doors that look like the ones on the Lil Diner.

Maybe you should use the Redtrailer and you could get Kevin to pay $250 of it. $>
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby BILLYL » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:59 am

Tom-

Madjack is right - I vote for your plans. :applause: I've used your site many atimes to work through a issue - you seem to be several weeks ahead. You can do up a simple drawing - Send it off. :thumbsup:

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques