Aluminium

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Aluminium

Postby 2paul32 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:49 pm

Aluminium frame? Would it be strong enough?
2paul32
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WarPony » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:04 pm

From what I've seen here, it can be but by the time you buy the AL, build it strong enough to last, the weight savings will be minimal, at best. If you have access to AL that will save you a BUNCH of money but you have to figure out what you are going to attach the suspension to. Me personally, I wouldn't want to have my labor of love bouncing down the highway on aluminum suspension mounts.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby 2paul32 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:06 am

Good point. An aluminium steel junction would have to be nuts and bolts on an aluminium tab. On second thought that doesn't seem like a good idea.
2paul32
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Spadinator » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:20 am

You would also have to consicer the corrosion that would eventually occur between dis-similar metals. :shock: Now if you could afford to alodine or zinc chromate the aluminum.......... :D
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby TD Beej » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:12 pm

I am probably going to build in aluminum myself. Here I will try to address some considerations in such a frame.

If done right, an aluminum frame can reduce weight substantially over a steel frame but will be relatively small to the total of the TD. Still if you are truly trying to build a light weight TD aluminum is where to start.

Strength is determined by engineering and pound for pound aluminum is stronger then steel. By volume steel is stronger.

Reactions between dissimilar metals will be an issue, a piece of rubber or other spacer and none reactive (SS) nuts bolts will need to be used.

Aluminum will not rust but will be highly reactive in certain environments but shouldn't be a real problem on a TD.

Aluminum does not have "infinite memory" and will develop stress cracks over time from the constant flexing.
TD Beej
Teardrop Master

Postby 2paul32 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:18 pm

I'm re-thinking the whole aluminium idea. I have access to either steel or aluminium, I just thought of aluminium first because of the weight. Considering dissimilar metal corrosion and stress fractures steel seems the way to go. Thanks for your input.
2paul32
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chris C » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:24 pm

I haven't had any personal experience with aluminum trailers, but since I have exotic animals, I'm around a lot of people who have large aluminum trailers. Those who can afford them say they are great.............but the will be quick to tell me that the aluminum "fatigues" and will eventually break.............where as a steel trailer just keeps on going and going. The advantage of aluminum is, of course, weight. So their fuel bills are lower but trailers have to be repaired and repaired and then replaced. Many of those I know have gone back to steel trailers. Of course, I can't imagine that much fatigue for a teardrop, but I still think steel will endure better over the long haul.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby doug hodder » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:45 pm

2paul32 wrote:I'm re-thinking the whole aluminium idea. I have access to either steel or aluminium, I just thought of aluminium first because of the weight. Considering dissimilar metal corrosion and stress fractures steel seems the way to go. Thanks for your input.

I've given a lot of thought to this idea also...I've stretched lots of aluminum truck frames, but I don't have the correct welder anymore...I think you will find it is cost prohibitive...unless you have some deep pockets...I got some info from Anjib...and when you look at structural aluminum vs. steel....steel is still cheaper...and you are going to need to take care of the galvanic action between the aluminum and the steel hangers......as far as the body...that's what I'm thinking about...you could build one just like the newer truck cabs....aluminum structural uprights with VHB foam tape and rivits....could be a good deal if you have access to the materials at a reasonable price, have the tools and know how....It'd be high tech...compared to the bulk of the techniques on the forum...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques