Hatch Hinge Type

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby bdosborn » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:13 pm

The best part about the hurricane hinge is that you can take the hatch off without undoing any screws. Don't know why I need to be able to do that but it seemed important when I was building the hatch.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:37 pm

bdosborn: My dog just LOVES your avatar..... woof...!
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Gerdo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:48 pm

I used the LilBear http://www.teardrops.net/LilBear/parts.html Better than huricane hinge. It is well worth the cost. Works great, any length you want. Buy it you will like it. Have it on hand when you build your hatch. You have to allow space.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:36 pm

SteveH wrote:Steve,

We use hinges like the one in you picture in the control surfaces of our model airplanes, only of course, a lot smaller. They work good, until they break. The thing that gets them is sunlight. It makes the plastic brittle and then they break. I know it looks like a good idea, but personally I would be afraid of it in an application that would get a lot of sunlight like on top of a teardrop trailer. Just my opinion.

I definitely respect your opinion Steve as a TD builder and model airplane affectionado. But... :lol: I already bought the damn plastic hinge, so I submit the following research I did before I bought it. (besides Shil saying it worked for him)

Polyolefin elastomers (or POEs) are a relatively new class of polymers that emerged with recent advances in metallocene polymerisation catalysts. Polyolefin elastomers have emerged as a leading material for automotive exterior and interior applications. Saturated polymers provide excellent thermal stability and UV resistance. POE's provide superior elasticity, toughness and low temperature ductility.

Source: International Institute of Synthetic Rubber Producers.

With that being presented, I know not what material your smaller plastic hinges were made of but it might possibly have been pre-POE era plastic. I think this thread deserves to be revisited in a year or so and see how these POE hinges are holding up... I know I will have a personal interest in the subject, as will Shil. So, I will use the hinge I have, but keeping what you had to say in mind, will install it in a way it can be removed without too much deconstruction. Thanks for the input.

Steve in St Augustine 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby SteveH » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:47 pm

Steve,

Well, your research shows they have definately addressed the sunlight/UV problem. Shure hope they have cured the problem and I wish you good luck. I know I sound pesimistic...don't really mean to as it's really a good alternative, if it works. :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:54 pm

SteveH wrote:Steve,

Well, your research shows they have definately addressed the sunlight/UV problem. Shure hope they have cured the problem and I wish you good luck. I know I sound pesimistic...don't really mean to as it's really a good alternative, if it works. :lol:

You got that right, it's a big "If it works" :lol: Guess time will tell....
and like you always say "Nothing is ever useless, if it can be used as a bad example"'

Steve in St Augustine :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T !

Postby Roberto » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:18 pm

Thanks everyone for some great answers and some thought provoking ideas.
- - - - Bob :applause:
Roberto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:26 pm

...this stuff looks to be darn fine hinge alternative...if it works. I have watched shil's post about it and now SteveC's(neat mounting set up)...I will keep an eye out for your experiences with the polyoelyoephrenanfinoleoconbublation stuff :lol:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby goldcoop » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:32 pm

OK!

I agree with Steve Cox let's revisit in a year or sooo...(Let's let time & sun tell the tale).

So it sounds like just Steve Cox (will be done/using when?), Shil and myself have used this kind of hinge?

Any others out there users?!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:43 pm

Hey Coop, there is an old expression..."it will work untill proven differently"...I think this stuff definitely fits that category and will work and work well...I hope all of you will keep us up to date on the "plastic" hinge
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby shil » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:18 am

My plastic hinge has been outside doing its job for over a year. I’m not too worried about the sun killing it; it’s painted the same colour as the trailer. Scuffing it up with some 80 grit gets paint to stick. And I really doubt that it’ll wear out, it’s bombproof. I imagine that it’ll be one of the last bits left when future archaeologists unearth my teardrop.

Steve, nice install. Mine’s just screwed on, with a screw every four inches or so. It looks like hell.

Edit: here's a picture

Last edited by shil on Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shil
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:14 am

shil wrote:
Steve, nice install. Mine’s just screwed on, with a screw every four inches or so. It looks like hell.

Thanks to you Shil,

You were my motivation to find another way to mount the hinge after you described it's characteristics in a previous thread. I had purchased some 3/4 X 1/8th inch flat aluminum bar at one point thinking that would be the way to mount that hinge, but hey... I'm building a woody not an al-u-min-emy. :thumbsup:

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:40 am

Steve-

What you did was a great solution! And Shil I know what you mean, "puckers" everywhere!

Some kind of cover i.e. wood OR Aluminuummm is almost a necessity to cover up those ugly mother puckers!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby randy chesnutt » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:59 am

bob, i purchased my hatch hing from r.w.johnson. $ 29.95 for the large w/p hing plus $13.10 shipping. they don't have a picture of it on their web site, but they do in their cata. if you go to my photo album you will see the hing . it is a heavy duty hing.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby surveytech » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:24 am

is there a way to screw that down without all of the ripples?
surveytech
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques