More Choices for Manufactured Teardrop Door(s)

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: More Choices for Manufactured Teardrop Door(s)

Postby teardropDIY » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:47 am

For any Canadian Builders out there, just a quick FYI. I am bringing in 5 sets of doors in the near future. I also carry the hurricane hinge in various sizes.
Love to help any newbies out there if I can :-)
teardropDIY
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:15 pm

challengerdoor.com manufactures and sells 805 series entrance doors that can be custom built in sizes that fit a teardrop. Here's the 805-Series-Order-Form.pdf and their contact information.

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Esteban wrote:challengerdoor.com manufactures and sells 805 series entrance doors that can be custom built in sizes that fit a teardrop. Here's the 805-Series-Order-Form.pdf and their contact information.

Any idea on prices?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 pm

In the discussion below the Dad's Rambles Pre-made Teardrop TrailerDoors video he wrote that the Challenger teardrop trailer doors he bought were $205 each, plus shipping. Two doors including shipping cost $480 (a year ago).

Calling or emailing Challenger would be helpful. The specification and order forms for Challenger's 805 entry doors mentions that different window and latch options are available which probably impacts included features and final prices.

Challenger Door 805 Series Specification Sheet
805-Series-Order-Form.pdf

It seems like their 805 doors can be built in custom sizes, too, which is very appealing.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

Esteban wrote:In the discussion below the Dad's Rambles Pre-made Teardrop TrailerDoors video he wrote that the Challenger teardrop trailer doors he bought were $205 each, plus shipping. Two doors including shipping cost $480 (a year ago).

Calling or emailing Challenger would be helpful. The specification and order forms for Challenger's 805 entry doors mentions that different window and latch options are available which probably impacts included features and final prices.

Challenger Door 805 Series Specification Sheet
805-Series-Order-Form.pdf

It seems like their 805 doors can be built in custom sizes, too, which is very appealing.

Thanks. I might have a new build on the horizon.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:05 pm

I called Challenger Door and talked to Jason about ordering teardrop trailer doors. Jason was very helpful and friendly to talk to. He asked questions and explained options to walk me/you through the ordering process. All their doors are custom built. They are not pre-built and stocked in inventory. Once an order is placed it usually takes ten working days (2 weeks) to build doors plus another week for boxing and shipping.

26" wide x 36" tall doors with a vertically opening window typically cost $265/each, plus shipping which varies depending on your zip code. If you want a larger door the cost may be $300/each, plus shipping. Jason said the usable inside size is about 2" less in width and height than the rough opening.

A personal observation: Challenger Door's ability to custom build teardrop trailer doors larger than 26" x 36" for a moderate up-charge is very appealing to me. I tried to make my own 39" tall fiberglass skinned doors that became too warped to use as the inner wood framework dried out. It wasted months of my time and effort. All the the parts and materials cost about as much as a good manufactured door. I'm 6'4" tall. I'd like my new doors to be about 38" to 39" tall and 30" to 32" wide. Jason said it's easily done.

Jason said to ignore the order form which is geared towards big commercial buyers. To begin an order (or get more information) call (574) 773-8115 if you're east of the Mississippi River or (574) 773-8151 if you're west of the Mississippi River. Or email Jason at [email protected] with your name, address and the teardrop door(s) rough opening sizes you want to begin an order.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby imlucky42 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Esteban wrote: I tried to make my own 39" tall fiberglass skinned doors that became too warped to use as the inner wood framework dried out. It wasted months of my time and effort. All the the parts and materials cost about as much as a good manufactured door.

thank you for talking this through! :applause:

I have been on the fence about buying or building doors and this settled it, ill be reaching out to them.
imlucky42
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques