need help w/weekender design

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:29 pm

...if you wanted a permanently mounted roller system, why dont you look at the various boat trailer rollers...they have about akazillion differnet types and are available at most any boat trailer supply business
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bg » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:44 pm

I think casket rollers would do nicely....
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:41 pm

The 11" deal is what his existing side walls are on the hauler...
Easy, just make the bottom of the door at that height. :hammer:

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:05 am

What about teflon blocks mounted on the bottom of the box?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:45 am

Just my 2 cents worth...on a wooden boat...you always use bunks...not rollers...I would think that the same thing could apply to a tear body....unless you build a sub frame made to handle the rollers....boats typically spend a lot of time on trailers and rollers don't spread out the weight, too small of a footprint....they will tend to deform the wood...glass hulls aren't the same critter....I would think you need to decide where the tear will spend most of it's time...on the frame or off it....design accordingly....just my opinion....doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:27 am

bg wrote:I think casket rollers would do nicely....

That sounds kinda creepy! I wouldn't want to sleep in it then. :frightened:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:28 am

...kinda like AF said about the teflon...lottsa big trucks have started using teflon pads on their 5th wheels in place of grease...cause they slide so well...I have also seen "bunk slicks" for boats...the same principle with a long norrow teflon "slick" in place of the usual carpet
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby critter » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:14 am

yup,
teflon would be great, but carpet would be cheaper,cheaper is better me thinks.whas thinkin i could mount it on 2x4 edgways w/carpet on bottom,that would raise the floor hight to 2x4 +2x2 +1/2 that leaves the bottom of the door. line to be about 4 1/2 in. whuddya think!
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby sunny16 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:45 am

When I first wanted to build a TT I was thinking of building one I could take off my 4 wheeler trailer. It has side railes, too. I looked at it and decided that I could make a removable section of the side rails to accomodate a door. In fact one section would fit the door perfectly. So you can do it if you look at the trailer carefully. THat way you can use to to haul other things when you need to. I didn't do it cause now I built a whole new frame for my Teardop Trailer. Maybe in the future I might build my removable shell.
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby WoodSmith » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:40 pm

madjack wrote:...kinda like AF said about the teflon...lottsa big trucks have started using teflon pads on their 5th wheels in place of grease...cause they slide so well...I have also seen "bunk slicks" for boats...the same principle with a long norrow teflon "slick" in place of the usual carpet
madjack 8)

My guess is that it isn't teflon, rather it is probably UHMW - Ultra High Molecular Weight plastic. Great stuff to use when you want things to slide. in fact I think many sled dog sleds are now using it. It's not too expensive unless you need huge amounts or pieces of it. My fav mailorder supplier has it in bigish chunks - http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=32045&cat=3,43576,43581 and even a grab bag of off cut chunks -http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=43210&cat=3,43576,43581
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:06 pm

Got no Idea WS, since I didn't make it or order it BUT the companies I have worked for and the mechs that have installed it all called it teflon...as do the trucker mags I have read about it in. They have big sheets about 30x30x1/4in that is attached to the trailer around the kingpin and the have formed pieces that cover the 5th wheel...whatever it is, it works great as long as you are real careful when ever dropping or hooking a trailer
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby critter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:41 pm

thanks guys,
another ? the drawings i saw for weekender said 114in long i think.why not make it a full 120 or am i missing something???
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby critter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:04 pm

sorry ,
didnt read far enough.the drawing is for a 4x8 and i want to build a 5x10 is there any drawings for a 5 x10 anywhere.
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby tahrndt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:21 pm

I am seeing three 6" strips of 3/4" ply cut the length of the trailer. On the bottoms of the "skiis" is UHMW plastic. (My snowmobile trialer had these for each ski to slide up on. You could just pick up the back end and the sled would just slide right off.) This would also leave a small gap between the bottom of the box and the trailer. That way you could just use your forklift to pick up the box and place it anywhere you wanted!!! :lol:

Good Luck,
tim
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool!

Tim
tahrndt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby critter » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:32 pm

oh yeah,
forgot about that forklift ive been feeding for 18yrs. but it will be off to med school for 6 yrs or so .i guess ill just be dragging it off and on.just went and measured trl and i can cut out side rails for the doors just will have to square off the front off camper so i can leave frt rail of trl.sounds like its time to buy some wood whuddya think!
critter

critter
critter
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques