Least expensive manufactured doors?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Least expensive manufactured doors?

Postby buzzcoleman14 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:36 am

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered. My father and I are looking to build our first teardrop, a 5x8. We've decided to go the route of purchasing pre made doors, rather than making our own. I've searched everywhere I can think of, and the least expensive doors I've been able to find are $245 each. This seems like a bit much, as I was planning on our largest expense being the trailer and not the doors. Any advice on where to find a good quality door that won't break the bank?

Thanks for your help!
buzzcoleman14
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Least expensive manufactured doors?

Postby les45 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:12 am

You are right; there are a lot of posts on this subject. I think you will find that most people think that the current prices are pretty reasonable compared to the labor and cost of building your own doors. Unless you are going for the retro look of home made doors, the manufactured doors are much easier to install and will only add to the value of your teardrop.
les45
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:59 pm

There are a lot of Surplus company's on Ebay that don't really know what there selling.

Selling items suitable for Teardrop doors as windows, compartment doors, Horse trailer parts, Mobile home/Camper/trailer/shed parts, etc.

Can I give you the exact place to buy them? NO!

But, If ya got the time look around on Ebay thinking of every obscure description you can think of ya may have a shot.

I found 4 for about $99 each with $30 shipping (for all 4). they needed new locks (they were only 1 way locks) but even at that the new locks only cost $30 each delivered. I didn't think $136, a door, delivered was that bad for a NEW Manufactured Door.

These were sold as "Horse Trailer Windows".

Good luck.

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Esteban » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:14 pm

door install on a trekker trailer has a video showing many details to make and install a door.

Awhile ago I researched every manufactured door I could find and posted the information here More Choices For Manufactured Doors. The least expensive one I found was $99 on ebay with a nearly equal shipping charge.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 am

Esteban wrote:door install on a trekker trailer has a video showing many details to make and install a door.

What an excellent video with lots of detail.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby foxteardrop » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 pm

My husband and I are new to the trailer building process (only about 3 weeks in), and ran across this thread.

Len- Thank you so much for your post! We were trying to figure out how to get doors without breaking the budget, and we searched "Horse Trailer doors" on Ebay, and found 2 for $200 free shipping. We'll have to change the locks, but the windows open and the doors have seals around them already.

Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (17.9 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (14.85 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
Allen & Katie Fox
foxteardrop
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques