How to seal my galley?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: How to seal my galley?

Postby grantstew8 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:37 am

This was my galley hatch blunder.........
KC is right about accuracy, at the time my swisswatch making skills were pretty poor. Next time I'll do better.

grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:00 pm

grantstew8 wrote:This was my galley hatch blunder.........
KC is right about accuracy, at the time my swisswatch making skills were pretty poor. Next time I'll do better.

Grant:

GREAT fix!

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:35 am

KCStudly wrote:Would it be better to just remove the sides of the hatch and make new ones by templating from the edges of the walls and the hatch framing?

Sometimes it is no more work to cut away a larger portion and add back what is needed, than it is to try and get a patch to look correct.

Just trying to offer another perspective from what I like to think of as an experienced perspective. (All relative, of course.)

An update,
I got some dry rot at the PS hurricane hinge, that meant stripping the roof, since I was there anyhow I rebuilt the galley hatch. I copied the curve of the original and cut it from a peice of plywood. Clamped that to the sides and marked where to cut each side, then cut. I still ended up with a little too much gap, so I glued a strip of luann to the underside of the hatch and once the T molding is installed it covers the gap just fine. I tried to reuse my T-molding, but that didn't work out well, so as soon as I get the new T-molding installed I will post some pics.

While I was redoing the hatch I made a few modifications that made it lighter and more attractive. Here is a pic of that.

The original hatch used 1x3 spars. I used 1x3 on the ends, but used 1x2 for the middle spars, and that gave me a nice inset are so I could line it with luan. Between the slimmer wood, and the reduction in sand on the exterior the lift shocks now work without any help. ( a nice and unexpected benefit).
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques