Teardrop for 5?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Teardrop for 5?

Postby chucktownsend08 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 pm

I'm toying with several ideas on how I can build a teardrop with enough room for 5 people (2 adults and 3 kids). I've come up with some ideas by reviewing other people's designs and I think it might work using boxy styles but I'm wondering if perhaps I'm just trying to cram too much into a little trailer?

I've attached one of the side profile idea's I've been pondering just to see if things would fit. Its a 6'x11' layout I welcome any input (including perhaps that a Teardrop isn't the right approach for the family if necessary).

Bear with me on the profile, I tossed it together using excel so its not the best but I think the it gets the idea across.

interior layout from Side.PNG
Side Profile
interior layout from Side.PNG (37.61 KiB) Viewed 1892 times
chucktownsend08
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Teardrop for 5?

Postby eggsalad » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:29 pm

That's pretty cozy, but I suppose it's do-able. I don't have any kids myself, but one thing I do know about them is that they seem to continually get larger. At some point, a 2' wide bunk might be pretty narrow for a child. I think the viability of your design is highly dependent on the ages of your children and where they are in their growth cycles. I'd hate to think that you would put a lot of time, effort, and money into this build, only to find that 2 years down the road, your kids no longer fit.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby chucktownsend08 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:23 pm

The kids are 9, 10 and 12 right now, I definitely don't want to build something that isn't going to be functional.

I guess my thought was that they won't be hanging out in the bunks they would be simply for sleeping or rare occasion staying out of the rain.

Any thoughts on where to go from here?
chucktownsend08
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SLUG36 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I think it might work. My build is 13'x6'-4"(at widest point). the rear of my build tapers in the rear, the rear wall is only 3'-6", and is 5'-8" at the highest point. with a 3'-6" lower bunk in the front, and the "master" bed running longitudinally, I still have a 2'-0" space that is empty floor.

check out the screen shots in the 2nd post of my build thread.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57304

I believe the model is of a 11' trailer with 5'-0" or 5'-6" walls. if you would like more info, let me know.
Making big pieces of wood into the wrong size..... for over 30 years....
SLUG36
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:42 pm

Where will you put all of your and their "stuff"?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:27 pm

Our kids had their own tents, and Daughter and son-inlaw spent a couple of days with us on the North shore of Lake Superior and used her old tent. Take my word for it they do NOT want to be too close :roll:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Take a look at Alfred's teardrop for 5. You can see a picture of his and a sketch of his design here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/66853210@N06/
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey I am working on a 4 person on a 5x10. I think your plan is solid. Although personally if my kids were that old I would design it for two with a large cargo area for thier tents and other gear. ;)
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:13 pm

be_a_jayhawk wrote:Hey I am working on a 4 person on a 5x10. I think your plan is solid. Although personally if my kids were that old I would design it for two with a large cargo area for thier tents and other gear. ;)

Same here. My design is made for 4, and I hope the kids will be in there as long as possible, as the bunks in my front are almost 30x70 long. BUT of they decide they like the tent better, we can fold the bunks down into a bench and then have a 6 wide sleep area for myself and the wife and they can sleep outside.
I would be weary about underestimating the amount of room to need for "stuff" as well.

Good luck and keep us posted with your plans.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:17 pm

there was a thread on here a while ago where the builder made a hard sided sleeping area on the roof. the second story roof lifted and the side walls were hinged to fill in the sides. IIRC it had an external ladder for the kids. I believe the walls had aluminum studs in them, and it may have been made in OZ. Last I knew it was 95% and then the thread went dead.
Another idea I saw was to just put a RTT (roof top tent) on the tear roof for the kids. either way would be easy to add or subtract (once the kids move out) and still leave a functional teardrop.
On the other teardrop for five (with the sliding shelf for the kids) they complained that the inside was very stuffy with everyone in there.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby NonProfit » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 pm

chucktownsend08,

I'm in the same boat, with three little ones, just a little younger than yours.

One option I've been considering is a Chrysler minivan with the Stow 'n Go seating. You roll into camp, fold down the rear seats; a couple people sleep in the trailer and a couple stay in the van. Another option is a tent which attaches to the side of your trailer.

I've still not worked out just what I'm going to do.
NonProfit
Teardrop Builder

Postby chucktownsend08 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 am

I sold my jeep and bought an F150 so my towing capacity and cargo space is no longer an issue. I'm looking at just buying a larger travel trailer that will fit everyone and maybe building a teardrop for me for hunting or me and my girlfriend for future.
chucktownsend08
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:12 pm

NonProfit wrote:chucktownsend08,

I'm in the same boat, with three little ones, just a little younger than yours.

One option I've been considering is a Chrysler minivan with the Stow 'n Go seating. You roll into camp, fold down the rear seats; a couple people sleep in the trailer and a couple stay in the van. Another option is a tent which attaches to the side of your trailer.

I've still not worked out just what I'm going to do.

In this situation how about an SUV tent. Set camp with the trailer and then
the 'car tent' gives volumes more room...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:30 pm

That looks like a good design. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kharn » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:22 am

I'd look at Little Guy's 10x10' tent that attaches to the RV doors and build a teardrop for 2-3. Or the RTT.
Kharn
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques