Shock Absorbers

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby Gage » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:26 pm

Sorry Bob, I forgot about you. See what happens when you move out of California. :lol:

Have a good day.

8)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BobR » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:49 pm

No problem..have a Happy Thanksgiving. I keep on trying to figure out ow to get back to the SCTT gatherings
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:33 pm

Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Re: Shock Absorbers

Postby angib » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:55 pm

BobR wrote:....the driver told me he had "never" pulled a trailer that tracked so well or rode so smoothly. He wouldn't have said that if he pulled it before I mounted the shocks...

I can believe that.

I think the rubber torsion axle has a lot going for it, but it's a bit generous to describe it as combining spring and damper in one unit. More realistically it combines a spring and a little damping, but not the effective damping that is provided by fitting a proper telescopic shock, like Bob's example. Torsion axles can be fitted with dampers, but I've only seen it on European travel trailer axles designed to take them from the start.

I'm with Madjack on the durability of torsion axles - having worked on trailerable boats, where some owners regarded even pumping up the tyres as an impossible burden, I've never seen or heard of a torsion axle suspension failure - but plenty of hub bearings and tires!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby campingboy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Airstream uses rubber torsion axles with Shocks.

http://www.airstream.com/product_line/f ... ur_01.html
campingboy
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques