1/8" birch plywood near Madison, WI

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

1/8" birch plywood near Madison, WI

Postby fronius » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:31 pm

Any suggestions where I might buy this? Called a couple lumberyards and they don't know what I'm talking about.
fronius
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 1/8" birch plywood near Madison, WI

Postby Wanna Be » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:46 pm

A little ways away but they might have it,

Alpine Plywood 414 - 438 - 8400
.OR

Boehm-Madisen Lumber co. 1-800-242-2069
262 - 544 - 4660

Alpine was the only place to find 4X10 Plywood for my side walls.

Good luck !!!

Wanna Be

;) ;)
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.
~Elmer Davis

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what can you believe?" ~ Bullwinkle J. Moose

Also I am a professional spelling butcher.. I don't carry a dictionary and my spell check is broke!!
Wanna Be
Gold Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm

When my local supplier ran out of 1/8" Baltic Birch. I found a Wholesale importer on the web (search for Baltic Birch, Russian Baltic Birch, etc.) and contacted them via email and phone and they told me who their dealers are my area. The import http://www.wolstenholme.com/ (might give them a call and see if any dealers in your area) gave me three of his dealers for Colorado. One was the one I had already been using which was out of stock, and two new place that I never had heard about or checked (even after search the yellow pages) and they both had 100's of sheets in stock. Another importer is http://forestplywood.com/

Good luck hunting
Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby coyote » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:41 am

I had a rough time also. I called everyone in Tulsa. Finally found Cedar Creek, who had it here....but wholesale only. I got a contractor friend to order it, he wasn't a large enough buyer. But he knew a guy at a big box store who knew how to order it, use a p.o. Number from my friend, then I paid him. Obviously, there was a mark up, but not nearly what I was prepared for. What a mess. But I got it in 5x5 sheets, beautiful grain and bent very easily.
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Gage » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:57 pm

If your lumber yard (store) doesn't know what birch plywood is, you don't want to do business with them any ways. I don't understand the big deal about having to have Baltic Birch. I just go to the lumber yard and ask for 1/8" birch plywood. If they can't get it, I then start checking out custom cabinet and or door shops. You'll find that they always carry 1/8" and thinner ply. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:28 am

I live in a town of 3,000 and am three hours from a Lowe's/HD/Walmart. (I challenge anyone south of Canada to find a more isolated community.)

Its a one lumber yard town, but the manager happens to be my friend. Last summer I asked him if he could get 5x5 sheets of 1/8" Baltic birch and he said, "I don't know. Nobody has ever asked." He got on the phone to his supplier and four days later I had my 1/8" sheets.

I suspect it's the same with any lumberyard. Alls you have to do is find somebody willing to get on the phone. Now, having said that, I'm going to ask my friend tomorrow if he can get me six sheets of 4x8 1/8" BB. I'll be surprised if he calls and can't.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:31 pm

The rest of the story: I called my friend at the 'yard this morning. He made a call and his supplier didn't have 4x8 sheets of 1/8" baltic ply but had the 5x5. I ordered ten sheets and they'll be here Thursday.

Service.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gage » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:41 pm

tony.latham wrote:The rest of the story: I called my friend at the 'yard this morning. He made a call and his supplier didn't have 4x8 sheets of 1/8" baltic ply but had the 5x5. I ordered ten sheets and they'll be here Thursday.
Service.
Tony
Now call your friend and ask him if he can get 1/8 birch 4 x 8 sheets (just birch, not baltic) :thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby skinnedknuckles » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Did you try Brunsell Lumber 608-275-7171 I know right now they have 3 sheets of 1/8" oak plywood. Woodcraft 608-273-8868 has some 1/8" birch ply 5'x5'. I have not been able to get in touch with Woodworkers supply 608-255-4785 but I have left a few messages ( that's where a friend of mine gets a lot of his wood for cabinetry). McCormick Lumber can get some different species of plywood in thin sheets. I will be talking with them this weekend at the Canoecopia paddlesports show. I'll be at the stage of needing some for my teardrop project very soon too.

Paul in Janesville,Wis
skinnedknuckles
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques